UTI...cleared up?

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just wondering how long antibiotics tend to take to work. Cello has been on them for a UTI for 5 days, but he has a 2 week supply. He doesn't seem as uncomfortable as before but he still pees a lot, and licks himself a lot after. I am taking him in a week to the vet to test to make sure it's better, but I hate thinking he might still be uncomfortable

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Antibiotics only take care of bacteria. They are often given as a "just in case" measure. It is quite possible he is still have uti issues. Leo once blocked less than 12 hours after having a catheter removed to clear a blockage. If he still seems to be exhibiting signs of uti, I'd contact your vet. Better be safe than sorry, especially with uti's in males, which can be fatal in a short period of time.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lmunsie

I was just wondering how long antibiotics tend to take to work. Cello has been on them for a UTI for 5 days, but he has a 2 week supply. He doesn't seem as uncomfortable as before but he still pees a lot, and licks himself a lot after. I am taking him in a week to the vet to test to make sure it's better, but I hate thinking he might still be uncomfortable
I don't know if this is how it is with all antibiotics but Oreo just got over a UTI. We were given three weeks of antibiotics and told to make sure we finished it all. She did not seem to get better till closer to two weeks on the antibiotics. I would take CurlyQ629 advice and make sure there is no blockage though. Hope Cello starts feeling better soon.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should finish all the antibiotics you were given. You can't just take them until the symptoms clear up and then stop. That's a good way for the surviving bacteria to come back stronger than ever.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

You should finish all the antibiotics you were given. You can't just take them until the symptoms clear up and then stop. That's a good way for the surviving bacteria to come back stronger than ever.
This is true of anitbiotics whether for animal or human. It's important to finish the whole dosage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would never stop giving them to him until they are done. I know that, and I understand the biology behind it, I don't want to breed any resistant bacteria, and I've scheduled an appointment with the vet for just before they finish to make sure the infection is gone, but it was an infection, not a blockage, he is peeing, and never stopped having normal pees (just more frequently) so I don't think I need to rush him to the vet, I was just wondering how long it would take him to start feeling better.......

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how hard it is when your kitty seems to be uncomfortable.

When my boys have had a UTI the antibiotic sometimes seems to work quickly and other times it takes several days to see any effect.

I hope Cello is feeling better soon. Healthy vibes to him.

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lmunsie

but it was an infection, not a blockage, he is peeing, and never stopped having normal pees (just more frequently) so I don't think I need to rush him to the vet, I was just wondering how long it would take him to start feeling better.......
Sorry; I didn't see in your original post that it was an infection & not a blockage or cystitis. Hope all goes well & the antibiotics start working soon.