Reducing Shedding?

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, well I let me cats go every where, and that means they shed every where. So Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m curious how to reduce it? Take them to a groomer, and do groomers even do cats? I groom them all every day with a soft brush and a comb. But they still shed a lot, I talked to people about giving them a bath and they say it damages there skin oils and stuff? I work at a vet clinic and the vet said just groom them daily or bring them in to see if they have a skin allergy
. I'll get right on that Doc I have 6 inside cats, and no one has flea's so there not scratching the hair out. I checked there skin and coats there fine healthy skin. Just shedding A LOT, is it maybe the weather? Is this a sign of being to hot or maybe what I feed them. They all play an equal part, but Dayton is always on my desk so he gets hair all over my screen and key board. Then Faith and Lilly have jumped on my counters. Then the kittens are on the couch, floor, rubbing on everything lol. So is there any method to reduce shedding in a cat? I go threw this with Tray's Rottweiler, and I just get a shedding shampoo threw my vet. Bathe him every week and he doesn't shed much any more. But everybody says I can't bathe a cat, but what else can I do but use a certain shampoo to reduce shedding?

I do everything else lol, clean there teeth, eye drops, ear drops and clothes, I got claw caps haha. Why not throw in awful, horrible, wet bathes once in awhile? Because right now I have to vacuum daily all OVER. The last point is Tray said we find a way to reduce it or lock them out of the bed room and keep them off things. "Right.." there cats a little easier said then done, specially if I make it a habit of letting them. It seems to get worse when its rainy outside, or gets really hot a humid. So Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m thinking weather or stress, because Tray keeps locking them out of the bed rooms.
So what can i try? -Thanks

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can bathe a cat. Many people on this site bathe their cats whether it be because of allergies or because they have show cats, or they just want to minimize shedding. Just find a conditioning cat shampoo and rinse with a couple of gallons of water with 2-3 tablespoons of white vinegar in it. That helps get all the soap out and helps to restore the skin (and fur) pH. Bathing will help reduce shedding. You'll still have to groom regularly but it will help a lot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok i'll def. try doing that. Then see how it goes, my vet sells it and its where i get my dog shampoo so i'll pick some up. If it doesn't work i'll have no other choice but to bring them in for a skin over look. Thanks!

bastet&figgy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bought a "Furminator" brush for my girls and it is AMAZING. I have one long hari and one short hair in a smallish house and have found NO shedding since i started using it. I brush them both for about 1/2 hour (short) and 1 hr (long) a week. They seem to enjoy the attention and its kinda fun for me to...its really gratifying to see just how much hair comes off. The brush is a little pricey..but totally worth it. If you can afford it I highly recommend the splurge

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Where do you get it at? How much did you pay? Thanks.

mikex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittyPaws

Where do you get it at? How much did you pay? Thanks.
I agree I got one and it works. I paid $31 at Petsmart. You can probably order one for cheaper.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've read somewhere that high-quality food reduces shedding, there must be some truth to this, my cats are shedding less and less since I have changed their food months ago.

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed canned Innova time to time and raw meat? I'll look that up to order, and see what price range i come up with. -Thanks

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found some brand new one's, a very nice purple one for $14.99 not including shipping. Would the size small due or does it need to be a med? -Thanks

bastet&figgy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittyPaws

I found some brand new one's, a very nice purple one for $14.99 not including shipping. Would the size small due or does it need to be a med? -Thanks
mine is a med....but i think either would work

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well i bought one of e-bay for $18 with shipping its a med sized blue color. I'm getting it over night shipping, so i should get it in a day or so. This should do it, thanks guys.