What's so unhealthy about Fancy Feast?

4meezers3kids

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, I am not an ignoramus, and am not throwing this out to get flamed.

My 13-year old recently-IBD cat was on Euk L/B for six years. He has never had food (beyond stolen table scraps) that was non-prescription, before now.

Without reiterating the whole story, he recently ended up on Prednisone and Cypro and Euk L/B ... and NOT EATING. So ... I read about grain-free and Raw. I bought Instinct. STILL, NOT EATING.

Out of frustration, and as a last-ditch effort, I went over the edge and bought him Fancy Feast in the stinkiest fishy and poultry flavors (gluten-free) that I could find. He is a 7-lb cat and is eating THREE CANS A DAY. He is playing again, and grooming, and stretching ... and almost like himself.

But, once I get some weight back on him ... I feel spooked about the quality of food he is getting! My Vet Tech says it is ""Kitty Crack." I will probably at the very least mix the FF with something a bit healthier ... but.

What do I need to worry about? No d,l-methionine? Too much Magnesium? Too much sodium? WHAAAAAAAT?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FF has artificial colors / flavors ( ie makes it great for addicting kittys) , 95% have meat by products ..... many have wheat and soy( in a can WHY?? )....

Mag is likely too high in many of them... Fish especially

If it gets and keeps him eating GIVE it ... some healthier yet yummy options... meow mix and sheba

jasminesmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with Sharky, it is more important that they eat. If he likes it, give it to him. Yes, there are more healthier options, but some cats just don't eat those other brands of food. If you buy him the best food out there and he is not eating it, he is getting no nutrition, rahter than eating FF and at least getting some nutrition.

I know we have PM'd each other about this before, but if you can, try wellness grain free. I just give the chicken and turkey varities and so far, they all love it. Good luck with it all!!

noludoru

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats go nuts for the Wellness, almost as much as they loved Kitty Crack. Er, Fancy Feast. However, my cats have different tastes and are quite food driven, so... you might not have the same results. But it's worth a try once your kitty is feeling better.

FF is sprayed with lots of rendered fat, too.. Mmm yummy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

4meezers3kids

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, Jasmine's, I will have to see if my local pet-health-food store has Wellness, so I can try it (it's a fur piece for us to drive!).

I am looking over my cans of FF, Sharky, and no artificial colors (which are mostly for the human opening it anyhow) ... but, "natural and artificial flavors" can certainly cover a multitude of sins ... as can by-products ...

He HATED the texture of Sheba (which BTW was not nutritionally complete!). Meow Mix -- really? What flaovrs are okay, etc.?

I do wish AAFCO would require them to include info on Mg, Sodium, etc.

Such a huge range of products out there! I think the GROSSEST ingredient I read listed on anything meant for cat consumption was, "Animal digest." A little scary they are not saying what animals!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by noludoru

My cats go nuts for the Wellness, almost as much as they loved Kitty Crack. Er, Fancy Feast. However, my cats have different tastes and are quite food driven, so... you might not have the same results. But it's worth a try once your kitty is feeling better.

FF is sprayed with lots of rendered fat, too.. Mmm yummy.
thinks why you would spray fat on a WET food

4meezers3kids

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mmmmmm ... rendered fat! Like ... DONUTS! Yumyum. Rendered from ... what? (I keep my family vegetarian, myself, but I SWEAR, if we all knew what glop we HUMANS are eating, ourselves ... ).

Wellness, it is then, for sure, on my next shopping foray!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4meezers3kids

He HATED the texture of Sheba (which BTW was not nutritionally complete!). Meow Mix -- really? What flaovrs are okay, etc.?
Try mashing up the Sheba. I don't give mine that on a regular basis, but I bought a couple tubs, and that's what I had to do.

Meow Mix is very fish heavy, but there are several flavors that are gluten-free that I feed Cindy (my fussy eater). I've heard they're not too bad nutritionally and better than fancy feast.

It's funny, but neither of mine like Fancy Feast at all.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I will have to see if my local pet-health-food store has Wellness, so I can try it (it's a fur piece for us to drive!).
Where, pray tell, is the local pet-health-food store in Kansas City? I have found Wellness at Whole Foods, a local feed store in Olathe, and I've heard they carry it at Land of Paws.

My poor Stumpy recently had to have all of his teeth extracted so we switched him to canned food. Our issue is he's a dry food eater and not happy about it. He does love the canned Wellness, but I do rotate in other kinds including FF to keep him interested in eating. As long as they are eating, sometimes that is better than the alternative.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know there are like 4-ish FF varieties that are by-product free. Although those are the ones mine won't eat!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I know there are like 4-ish FF varieties that are by-product free. Although those are the ones mine won't eat!
And the by product free ones are all very fishy...I'll admit it, we have some kitty crack in my house too. So far I've been able to trick Stan into eating the healthier stuff by putting a layer of FF on top

4meezers3kids

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Where, pray tell, is the local pet-health-food store in Kansas City? I have found Wellness at Whole Foods, a local feed store in Olathe, and I've heard they carry it at Land of Paws.

My poor Stumpy recently had to have all of his teeth extracted so we switched him to canned food. Our issue is he's a dry food eater and not happy about it. He does love the canned Wellness, but I do rotate in other kinds including FF to keep him interested in eating. As long as they are eating, sometimes that is better than the alternative.
Brookside Barkery, on 63rd in Brookside. Of course. Yuppieville!

Land of Paws is pretty elite too. My mom's former vet owns it!

ETA: If you look on Wellness's website for stores in the KC area, you get an AMAZINGLY long list of places to the South. (Heck I know of only ONE major human health food store, north of the river!!!).

4meezers3kids

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ms.Blackie

I do the same thing mix ff with something else. It works for me.
Just be sure to top the ff on top as well.
Yep ... that's my plan, too! I know how to sneak healthy stuff into 'em! Stubborn beasts. This one is so low-key, my friend thinks he is "sweet!" HAH! He has a glare that will peel automotive paint!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Brookside Barkery, on 63rd in Brookside. Of course. Yuppieville!

Land of Paws is pretty elite too. My mom's former vet owns it!

ETA: If you look on Wellness's website for stores in the KC area, you get an AMAZINGLY long list of places to the South. (Heck I know of only ONE major human health food store, north of the river!!!).
I suspected it was Brookside Barkery and I just found out this afternoon about a grand opening for a second store in Olathe! And they carry California Natural.

I won't shop Land of Paws - they totally misled me when I was wholesaling to them and I really question their business practices. PM me if you want to hear the story.

I thought I looked at Wellness's website and could only find a few places listed other than Whole Foods. I'll have to look again.