Vibes Needed Urgently

kerry'n'ben

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
at 11:30 ish we noticed indie had yellow marks around his nose. i thought nothing of it until we got back from shopping about 40 mins again and i realised the yellow was pollen from my lillies! i had moved them out of the way after finding out how dangerous they are but he got them somehow. I will never forgive myself if anything happens to him .... he hasn't been sick or anything yet but i would really appreciate vibes to keep it that way. He's my special little man and i feel absolutely sick at the thought of anything happening to him especially if i could have prevented it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kerry'n'ben

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
we have rang the vet and they have said that unless he shows any symptoms like vomiting they can not do anything. and that if he is eating, drinking and stuff that he be ok.

missourigrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have to be careful with Asher. He likes plants, flowers, anything green or growing. Sending you and Indie lots of I hope he doesn't get sick!

catmomof2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe he just sniffed the flowers and got the pollen on his nose.Does it look like he ate any of the leaves? Sending vibes your way

kerry'n'ben

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
so far so good! he is eating and playing with his box at the moment so hopefully he's just sniffed them! we couldn't see any chewed areas but have obviously thrown all the flowers. does any know how long it can take for symptoms to show? we thought it was 6-8 hrs to look out for sickness and stuff .. is this correct!????! thank you all for the vibes x much appreciated x

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catmomof2

Maybe he just sniffed the flowers and got the pollen on his nose.Does it look like he ate any of the leaves? Sending vibes your way
ALL PARTS OF ALL LILIES ARE NEPHROTOXIC TO ALL CATS. THIS INCLUDES POLLEN. It is absolutely foolish, bordering on negligent, to 'hope for the best' and not take your cat to the vet after ANY lily exposure. Yes, those are strong words. Believe me, I know. I have two renal failure cats. I'm a nurse, and I've volunteered in a vet's office. I've done the research and learned about feline renal failure. Strong words...yes, but accurate words.

kerry'n'ben

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
we rang the vet as soon as we realised what had happened but because he had not exhibited any symptoms they said there was nothing we or they could do and just to ring them if he vomited or anything and they would get a vet to us immediately. we are watching him very closely, he has eaten, drank and played and seems to be ok but we will continue to watch him overnight.

I do take on board what has been said and i would never have had lilies had we known they are poisonous! my BF had brought me the flowers because i had been very upset and he wanted to cheer me up. when we discovered they are poisonous we moved them out of reach and we are unsure how he even got to them! i hope it is known that we did not just sit by and wait we have done everything the vet suggested and have researched the matter ourselves as well. My cousin has also been here with us because she is very knowledgable about these topics.

I resent the insinuation that we have "neglected" him! hind sight is a wonderful tool and could we repeat the situation we would never have knowingly allowed a potentially toxic item near our kittens!!!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kerry'n'ben

I resent the insinuation that we have "neglected" him! hind sight is a wonderful tool and could we repeat the situation we would never have knowingly allowed a potentially toxic item near our kittens!!!
I think you've taken the proper steps to this point. Your Vet has advised you to keep a close eye out for symptoms and react accordingly.
What else can you do at this point?

This site is completely cat welfare oriented, so people can come off a little strong sometimes. Me included.

I don't think anyone meant to offend and it's certainly not your fault for not knowing about Lilys in advance. You know now though and it's clear you're upset about it possibly endangering your cat. Don't beat yourself up about it and don't let anyone else either.......you didn't know.

I hope he's going to be just fine!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From what I understand with lilys, the sooner you get them to the vet BEFORE they show any symptoms the better.... I think after they are showing symptoms is when it can be bad ........ can you call another vet?

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kerry'n'ben

we rang the vet as soon as we realised what had happened but because he had not exhibited any symptoms they said there was nothing we or they could do and just to ring them if he vomited or anything and they would get a vet to us immediately. we are watching him very closely, he has eaten, drank and played and seems to be ok but we will continue to watch him overnight.

I do take on board what has been said and i would never have had lilies had we known they are poisonous! my BF had brought me the flowers because i had been very upset and he wanted to cheer me up. when we discovered they are poisonous we moved them out of reach and we are unsure how he even got to them! i hope it is known that we did not just sit by and wait we have done everything the vet suggested and have researched the matter ourselves as well. My cousin has also been here with us because she is very knowledgable about these topics.

I apologize. You have done what you were told to do by your vet. I don't believe your vet is very well versed in the effects of lily toxicosis. Once symptoms begin to show, kidney damage is irreversable. All you can do at that point is stabilize the cat and hope that the damage isn't fatal. If it doesn't turn out to be fatal, you now have a cat with chronic renal failure, which is a very expensive disease to treat...for the rest of your cat's life. I'm sorry that I came across sounding judgemental. I am very passionate about renal failure in cats, especially renal failure caused by lily exposure. I will keep you and your sweet Indie in my prayers for a complete recovery.

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Firstly, I don't want a bashing for this....

Is it all kinds of lillies that are dangerous and can cause Renal Failure? What makes them so dangerous? Can anyone post a picture of one or link me to a site so I can read more? (Just for the record I do not have any lillies in my house or garden, although I was considering getting a Japenese Peace Lily for my kitchen)

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sadieandziggy

Firstly, I don't want a bashing for this....

Is it all kinds of lillies that are dangerous and can cause Renal Failure? What makes them so dangerous? Can anyone post a picture of one or link me to a site so I can read more? (Just for the record I do not have any lillies in my house or garden, although I was considering getting a Japenese Peace Lily for my kitchen)
I was wondering this too. I don't have any lilies inside (and my 6 are all indoor cats) but we do have MIL's barn cats outside. She has tiger lilies that either don't bother the cats, or they haven't bothered the lilies. I also planted a bunch of stargazer lilies outside this summer. They didn't bloom this year, but they should next year.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All parts of the plants in the Liliaceae and Hemerocallis family are nephrotoxic to cats. This includes Easter lilies, day lilies, Asiatic lilies, Oriental lilies, Stargazer lilies, Rubrum lilies and Tiger lilies (this list isn't all inclusive, as there are plenty more kinds of lilies.) The exact toxin has not been isolated from the lily plant, so treatment is geared toward stabilizing the patient by minimizing further absorbtion and metabolism of the toxin.

Please do a Google search for "lilies and feline renal failure"
or Google pictues of the above mentioned flowers. This could save your kitty's life or the life of someone else's kitty!

Here are some links that discuss lily toxicosis in cats:

http://kingstownecatclinic.com/Lily Toxicity.htm
http://www.gungahlinvet.com.au/info.php?id=15
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...l_to_cats.html
http://jvdi.org/cgi/reprint/12/6/566.pdf

Lilies are my most favorite flower in the world. I have a garden full of Stargazer lilies and many different Asiatic and Oriental lilies, as well as a huge selection of day lilies. When I take Cleo outside on her leash, we stay as far away from the lily garden as possible. After I work in the lily garden, I strip down to my undies in the garage and immediately throw my garden clothes in the washer. I also take a shower immediately before interacting with the cats. I'm totally paranoid (and for good reason!) about lily toxicosis. I already have two cats with CRF (chronic renal failure) and I certainly don't want to expose any of them to any part of a lily plant!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

All parts of the plants in the Liliaceae and Hemerocallis family are nephrotoxic to cats. This includes Easter lilies, day lilies, Asiatic lilies, Oriental lilies, Stargazer lilies, Rubrum lilies and Tiger lilies (this list isn't all inclusive, as there are plenty more kinds of lilies.) The exact toxin has not been isolated from the lily plant, so treatment is geared toward stabilizing the patient by minimizing further absorbtion and metabolism of the toxin.

Please do a Google search for "lilies and feline renal failure"
or Google pictues of the above mentioned flowers. This could save your kitty's life or the life of someone else's kitty!

Here are some links that discuss lily toxicosis in cats:

http://kingstownecatclinic.com/Lily Toxicity.htm
http://www.gungahlinvet.com.au/info.php?id=15
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...l_to_cats.html
http://jvdi.org/cgi/reprint/12/6/566.pdf

Lilies are my most favorite flower in the world. I have a garden full of Stargazer lilies and many different Asiatic and Oriental lilies, as well as a huge selection of day lilies. When I take Cleo outside on her leash, we stay as far away from the lily garden as possible. After I work in the lily garden, I strip down to my undies in the garage and immediately throw my garden clothes in the washer. I also take a shower immediately before interacting with the cats. I'm totally paranoid (and for good reason!) about lily toxicosis. I already have two cats with CRF (chronic renal failure) and I certainly don't want to expose any of them to any part of a lily plant!
Thank-you for this information! My wife also has a Lily garden outside, which we both enjoy very much. We will now take more precautions when our cats are outside and when she has been working in that garden.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Based on the lists I've seen of plants and cut flowers that are toxic to cats, I've concluded the only safe thing to do is assume that ALL plants and cut flowers are toxic until proven otherwise. It's a shame, because I love growing things... but I haven't had a real plant in the house since shortly after I adopted Clyde.

But our kitties so worth it!