Charlie and the Vinager Rinse

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I gave Charlie a bath and used the vinager rinse - happy to say it works GREAT. His coat is so silky and shiny now
Was a bit weird rinsing him with a cup, but we did it and I will use that for the next show.

He may be so slick, he'll slide out of the judges hands on the table
We'll see if that helps him win more points towards grand

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's the theory behind that? My cats HATE the smell of vinegar. How'd Charlie react?

I've got a show next weekend. Should I try it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The theory is the vinegar rinse will get all the soap out of the coat and restore the ph balance (softness/shiny) to the coat. You must have missed the portions - you only use 2-3 tablespoons of white vinegar in a gallon of warm water to rinse.

So its diluted enough that there is no vinegar smell (or barely) and Charlie didn't have a problem with it. That was my concern at first (the smell).

I washed him with the normal shampoo, then rinsed that all out. As the water was draining, I took the cup and started pouring the vinegar rinse from neck down and on the chest/belly as best I could. I used a large pot (that will hold a gallon of water) to dip the cup in and rinse.

Do not wash that off - just wring the excess water out of the coat and dry them with the towel - then air dry in a room with no drafts.

The only thing I did notice was a small amount of static yesterday after totally dry, but today his coat seems fine. Also it seemed the vinegar tends to make them shed a little more (or its going into shedding season now).

But no vingegar smell
BTW if you want to know how many cups make a gallon - its 16 cups
I had to measure out the warm water in the large kettle

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cool, I'm going to try that on the boys a couple of days before the show this weekend.
Thanks for the info!

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We also did the vinager rinse on Koda Bear when he championed. It worked so wonderful, just make sure you rinse, rinse, rinse, after the vinager rinse, the judges don't want to smell it. We look forward to using this again at our next show, along with some other new products recommended to us by other exhibitors.

Good luck to Charlie, GK!!

Good luck to your Bengals, Nial and Teri.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I smell no vinegar on him and just for kicks, used a vinegar rinse on my hair too

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

The theory is the vinegar rinse will get all the soap out of the coat and restore the ph balance (softness/shiny) to the coat. You must have missed the portions - you only use 2-3 tablespoons of white vinegar in a gallon of warm water to rinse.

So its diluted enough that there is no vinegar smell (or barely) and Charlie didn't have a problem with it. That was my concern at first (the smell).

I washed him with the normal shampoo, then rinsed that all out. As the water was draining, I took the cup and started pouring the vinegar rinse from neck down and on the chest/belly as best I could. I used a large pot (that will hold a gallon of water) to dip the cup in and rinse.

Do not wash that off - just wring the excess water out of the coat and dry them with the towel - then air dry in a room with no drafts.

The only thing I did notice was a small amount of static yesterday after totally dry, but today his coat seems fine. Also it seemed the vinegar tends to make them shed a little more (or its going into shedding season now).

But no vingegar smell
BTW if you want to know how many cups make a gallon - its 16 cups
I had to measure out the warm water in the large kettle
I'm really glad you tried it and it worked for you! I've been telling folks on the forums about it for years but people listen more when someone else experiences it too! It's just human nature. I've never noticed a vinegar smell either, when I use it in the proportions I suggest here in the forums. They just smell clean and fresh to me. I've never noticed it make my cats shed more. I think it's just the season again. Peaches is shedding and her winter coat is starting to come in. I love it because she gets so full and her coat just looks gorgeous! Poor Jakey is still sick so his coat has seen better days.
Hopefully again soon....

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good, I was not sure if it made him shed or just was the season
I'll have to comb him really good just before I wash him. On Oci's and Bengals you do NOT want to run a comb thru their coats when damp as it will leave lines and you can't just brush them out - have to rewash the cats.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was a little softer, but IMO not much different then when using the shampoo/conditioner

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jean-ji

I like to use it once in a while, it strips all the residue from shampoos/conditioners, and my hair will actually "squeak". Try it.
Yes, we tend to get build-up on our hair which dulls it. I never use conditioner as my hair is too find and soft already, so I don't tend to get as much of a build-up as some folks.