Alice's First Bath

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just gave Alice her first bath. She is four years old and has the longer hair with a thick undercoat and really needs the monthly bath. She's bathed and sitting on the floor by my feet grooming herself, you know I can't do it right. I read the threads on here about bathing a cat and went and got some Earthbath shampoo earlier today and I survived with no scratches. She cried the whole time but she didn't start getting stressed until the end while I was rinsing her. I think it was having the water poured over her. I am surprised she's not hiding or at least glaring at me.

barkleysjester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would love to give Petunia a bath but I would also like to keep the skin on my body too
Glad everything went well with Alice!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's longer hair, you should blow dry and comb so the fur doesn't tangle. Charlie loves his baths now (he got one trying the vinegar rinse yesterday). He especially likes the hand held shower head for rinsing.

Glad things went well, but I'd be very careful in pouring water over the cat to rinse - you could easily get it in their ears if you are not careful.

Send Petunia over here - I'll give her a bath with no problems

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She had her front paws up on the side of the tub so it was easy to just get her wet from the neck down. No water got on her face or around her ears.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I've had cats do the same - its easier on both you and the cat if they feel better with two feet in the water and two out of the water

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denice

I just gave Alice her first bath. She is four years old and has the longer hair with a thick undercoat and really needs the monthly bath. She's bathed and sitting on the floor by my feet grooming herself, you know I can't do it right. I read the threads on here about bathing a cat and went and got some Earthbath shampoo earlier today and I survived with no scratches. She cried the whole time but she didn't start getting stressed until the end while I was rinsing her. I think it was having the water poured over her. I am surprised she's not hiding or at least glaring at me.
Good job! You were prepared and had all the right information so it was a good first experience! I'm proud of you! When I rinse, I put the cup close to their skin and slowly pour it over their body. I used a plain wash cloth in the vinegar rinse to wash their faces with. The vinegar is so dilute, it doesn't seem to bother them. Anyway.... Kudos to you!