I was a car wreck tonight.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was in a car wreck tonight. I am a nervous wreck.
I was supposed to go and get dinner with Colin while he was on his break. (around 8pm) It was raining and really hard to see outside so that makes things even better. I was turning off of the street my house is on and onto anther street to get to the resturant.

Before I turned, i had my turn signal on, stopped at the stop sign and looked both ways to make sure that i was clear. I thought i was clear- i honestly didn't see anything...and the BAM. Next thing i knew i was screaming my head off and i had been in a wreck
It was soo scarry. It was my fault- as I hit the other car- the other car was going straight and i was turnning- but i did not see the car at all- the visibility was really bad out- and even when i looked both ways i didn't see
I feel aweful about it.

I was able to pull my car over into the turn lane as was the other car to get out of traffic. I called Colin (he's a cop) and he headed over there and had another officer head over too (he couldn't write the report since i'm his fiance' -it's a conflict of interest). The other officer got there (one of our friends) and was really nice about the whole thing. The other people in the car i hit were ok thankfully. It was a man and a woman. They were going really fast when our cars hit, so their air bags went off and part of their car is a little damaged. My car is definitely damaged the most though. The entire front of my car is all torn up and my passenger side door won't open because the frame is messed up on the front.

To make things even better- my back is hurting really bad
It's been hurt before several times, so now it's in a lot of pain. The officer wrote in my report that i had a possible injury, so since i have full coverage and gap insurance i hope it covers it- we have a thing on there for bodily injury- so if i go to the doctor it should cover it. Fortuantely, the other people are ok though- so that makes me feel a little better. I feel aweful about the whole thing- i honestly didn't see them and i did what i was supposed to-i stopped at the sign and checked both ways before turning
This stinks soo much. Now i have a ticket to pay since my car hit theirs the way the accident was and they had the right of way. NICE! Fortuantely though, he only wrote me for the city ordinance (mandatory in something like that) so he didn't write me for anything else and this shouldn't stay on my driving record he said.

I'm freaking out over how much this is going to wind up costing me, how much my insurance premium will go up, how much it's going to cost for me to go to the hospital and if i need anything else after that...i'm a nervous wreck
To make things even better- i have to work tomorrow and monday. I can't take any more time off work -or i might lose my job
So i didn't even bother calling my boss to tell her. And yea- add a little more icing to the cake- my insurance (health) runs out the end of the month
So if i'm hurt- i'm essentially out of luck because unless i pay $335 a month for the next 6 months for temporary insurance before Colin and I get married and i get on his- i will have nothing
This couldn't have happened at a worse time. On top of everything else i'm supposed to be planning our wedding now -and now there's going to be no money for it.

One last thing that's REALLY fun....i'm out of wine!
What a night
I'm still a nervous wreck and really shaky. Colin didn't even come home with me eithor- he dropped me off at home and went back to work
Guess he was really concerned!

I'm going to try and go to the minor medical center tomorrow after work (please pray it's not too expensive...even with my insurance i can't afford it
) My sister Kimmy said she'd go to work with me tomorrow and help me clean - so that would really help. I'm soo freaked out right now. This was an aweful way to end the day. I screamed soo hard when the wreck happened

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Nikki it will all be OK!!
Will your insurance cover you to go to the Dr?

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't think of any advice for you, but I'm sorry you're having such a bad night, and the boys and I will send lots of for you that everything will work out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Oh Nikki it will all be OK!!
Will your insurance cover you to go to the Dr?
The car insurance will -it covers bodily injury. I have everything on the insurance (it's full coverage and i have gap insurance) so it should cover it. My health insurance would but i have to pay out of pocket $100 and i just don't have that on me right now so i'm going to wait till tomorrow and see about going to the minor med. center and using my car insurance (and all the report info/etc) to see if they will see me and make sure my back is ok. My back has been hurt several times before really badly - broken twice and bruised 3x from Cheer and a fall down some stairs. And a few yrs ago, I was rear ended by a huge F150 that was going 75 in a 30 (i was going the speed limit
) And that damaged my back and neck in put me in physical therapy for several months. So i'm really leary of my back and don't want to take any chances.

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, sounds like you had a heck of a night. I am glad to hear that all are essentially fine due to this physically. Emotionally, that will take time to recover from. Colin was working so it might have been hard for him to stay with you though. You mentioned that the other car was travelling fast, was this included in the report, cause it might be a factor. I am just hypothesizing though. You will be fine, and I ma not surprised your back hurts. What about your neck? Is there pain there? Or what about a headache?
Glad to hear you are fine though, and the car can be fixed as required. Just make sure it is safe to drive though. Hopefully your insurance company has accident forgiveness if this is your first accident. That might help you out a bit. But call and let your insurance company know, unless they already found out from the police report being filed.
We are here if you need us, but I am sure colin will help you as he can once he is off work. hUgssssssssssssss

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww Nikki....How awful! I've been in a couple of wrecks before, both not my fault, but it never matters because you always get shaken up. Especially, if you are not even expecting it. It just rattles your nerves for a while and I hope that something will come in your favor soon. As the saying goes, when it rains, it pours, but eventually it will turn its way around. Just hang in there and I hope your back is OK.
Since colin was at work, I'm sure he will take care of you as soon as possible. He will be there for you.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh, I hope you're not going to have a lot of damage to your back... but it could have been so much worse! Thank goodness you're not in the hospital tonight.

You said the other car was going fast... maybe that's why you didn't see them in the rain. Maybe they weren't close enough to be seen yet, under those conditions. If that's the case, you shouldn't feel too bad. Especially if they didn't have their headlights on!

I know what an awful, shaky feeling you get after a wreck -- I'm glad Colin took you home, so you didn't have to try to drive. Just breathe deep and snuggle every critter in the house.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittydad

Wow, sounds like you had a heck of a night. I am glad to hear that all are essentially fine due to this physically. Emotionally, that will take time to recover from. Colin was working so it might have been hard for him to stay with you though. You mentioned that the other car was travelling fast, was this included in the report, cause it might be a factor. I am just hypothesizing though. You will be fine, and I ma not surprised your back hurts. What about your neck? Is there pain there? Or what about a headache?
Glad to hear you are fine though, and the car can be fixed as required. Just make sure it is safe to drive though. Hopefully your insurance company has accident forgiveness if this is your first accident. That might help you out a bit. But call and let your insurance company know, unless they already found out from the police report being filed.
We are here if you need us, but I am sure colin will help you as he can once he is off work. hUgssssssssssssss
thankyou.
it was definitely a aweful night after the wreck happened. (before that i was actually having a decient day and was excited about going to get some dinner with Colin on his break
). I'm not sure if put that the person who i hit was going really fast or not in the report. I can ask Colin when he gets home though. My neck feels fine as does my head- it's just my back that hurts pretty bad. I took an Aleve earlier so hopefully that will kick in soon.

I don't feel safe driving my car (even though it's drivable - it's got a lot of damage to the front) so i will be taking Colin's truck to and from work (thankfully he has a squad car for his job so that won't be an issue). Oh yea one more peach thing about tonight- the guy that i hit- his dad is his insurance agent
That can not be good.
I called my insurance company/agent as soon as i got home- so they know about the wreck. They're supposed to call me on monday and schedule a time for the adjuster to come out and look at my car (i'm scheduled off work on tues and wed- so that would be good if they could do it then) I am also lucky too- my insurance/gap insurance will cover a rental car up to a certain amount so if i should need one while my car is getting reparied that won't be soo aweful hopefully. (if they don't total it- not sure how bad it is- i think they can fix it.)

As far as Colin goes- i'm ready to ring his neck. He's been anything but supportive tonight after i got home. I told him i thought i should go to the doctor, my back was hurting really bad and he was like " are you sure- i mean the cars weren't damged horribly" - i was like YES! my back hurts- i'm sure. Then he was like "well i can't take you until i get off at 11 so you'll have to wait." -i'm sorry but i think given the circumstances, he could have left earlier and been nicer about it (his boss would have let him)

And then- he calls me and says "hey they want me to work late so i'm going to stay a few extra hours." What the devil! I was in a car wreck, my car is messed up, i'm a nervous wreck, and my back is really hurting ....and he wants to stay a few hours!
I called him back and told him i did not feel well and that it sure would be nice if my fince would come home from work on time and just be with me right now when i need him to be.
So yea....i'm in a mood because of him..hopefully he'll be better once he gets home and he will get hom soon. He's supposed to be here by now.
I'm not being mean- it's just i really need him to be there for me right now and him acting like a jerk doesn't help.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

Awww Nikki....How awful! I've been in a couple of wrecks before, both not my fault, but it never matters because you always get shaken up. Especially, if you are not even expecting it. It just rattles your nerves for a while and I hope that something will come in your favor soon. As the saying goes, when it rains, it pours, but eventually it will turn its way around. Just hang in there and I hope your back is OK.
Since colin was at work, I'm sure he will take care of you as soon as possible. He will be there for you.
It definitely rattled my nerves to say the least. I'm soo shaky it's not funny.
Thanks for trying to get me to look on the bright side though...things have been soo crummy lately, i suppose they're bound to look up soon right.

As far as my fiance goes- i'm going to "take care of him" when he gets home if he doesn't change his attitude and be a little more supportive!
He's normally not like that but tonight he is. He was really nice at the wreck, but once we got home and he dropped me off (fortuantely it happened right by my house so he was able to) he just didn't act supportive at all.
it really hurt my feelings because i need him to be now. i'm going to tell him that when he gets home hopefully he'll understand.

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Oh gosh, I hope you're not going to have a lot of damage to your back... but it could have been so much worse! Thank goodness you're not in the hospital tonight.

You said the other car was going fast... maybe that's why you didn't see them in the rain. Maybe they weren't close enough to be seen yet, under those conditions. If that's the case, you shouldn't feel too bad. Especially if they didn't have their headlights on!

I know what an awful, shaky feeling you get after a wreck -- I'm glad Colin took you home, so you didn't have to try to drive. Just breathe deep and snuggle every critter in the house.
I am definitely greatful it wasn't worse and that i always wear my seatbelt. The other car was definitely going fast and it's pretty much how you described it- i just didn't see it comming it happened soo quickly. I think they had their head lights on - but in the rain it was still hard to see- i mean i didn't even see their headlights because i happened soo fast
It's like they came out of nowhere.

I did take your advice though- i'm snuggling with Whiskey our dog at the moment ...and a heating pad on my back.

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can understadn that, and I am sure he will be there for you as soon as he can. Maybe his thinking is that with the car accident, the extra money will come in handy, maybe for repairs or wedding expenses. Just my thoughts, but I am sure he is thinking of you and not taking your concerns about your health lightly. The alieve should help, but if it doesnt, then you might need a visit to a Dr. . What about the possiblility of a chiroractor? Do you see one? If I am getting to personal, I apologize.

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry that you were in an accident! I hope your back stops hurting soon, and there's nothing wrong with it.

Just make some tea or hor chocolate, hold one of your kitties, and maybe put in one of your favorite movies.

Tricia

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You know, if you make it until Friday evening, you could come to St. Francis Bartlett, and I could take your x-rays!! Would be an interesting way to meet you! Sorry, X-ray is what I think about when I hear about wrecks and stuff.

I am so sorry that this happened. I heard that it was raining really hard about that time. i left work at 11:00 and it had let up. I was so nervous that I was going to get hit too. It has been so long since we have had rain, everyone has forgotten what it is like. That sucks. I hate that you had to go through that. You will probably need to see a Dr. soon though, cause unfortunately, you will probably be even more sore tomorrow. Hopefully,they will give you some pain meds. You need to take it easy for a few days. I wish I could give you some sort of hook-up at the hospital, but those are strings I can't pull. I hope you feel better soon. I am glad that you have insurance that will cover it. Don't stress about it though, there is really nothing you can do about it now. Stressing about the cost will just make you more tense. Try to relax and take it easy. Come see me for x-rays!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry, but relieved no one in the other car was hurt. I am concerned about your back, but obviously you know you need to have it seen and will get it looked at...I do agree, it's going to be even more sore tomorrow.

The one time I sprained my neck in a car wreck, the worst time was the day after
when I tried to go to work, made it to my shift, in to see patients and then back out to say I was heading to the er.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry, I hope you feel better soon! And I hope your fiance gets a more supportive attitude soon.

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nikki, I am so sorry! I hope everything goes well and there is nothing sseriously wrong with your back

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just seeing this; I hope you are O.K.! Car accidents are so awful. It's one of those life-things we have to deal with. And you shouldn't feel so bad about it; visibility was low and you were trying to be careful. It sounds like the other driver was going a bit too fast for the road conditions, too.

It'll be O.K. You'll see! Accidents happen.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG Nikki!
I am so glad everyone is okay especially that you're okay. You need to see a doctor for your back if it really hurts. I am so sorry this happened. btw I have some wine and I can share it with you!
feel better soon, sweetie!