Every have a Homer Simpson Doh Moment?

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been wanting red wine for a week now. Since hubby sent me on a late night munchy run I decided to stop into the liquor store and get some. Well I spent a lot of time looking at the different wines. And finally decided on one. (I figured most expensive best.. If anyone has any tips on picking the best wine please educate me). Well I get home and forgot I didn't get the thingy to open it. grrrrr. I guess I could go back but hell I don't wanna. It's late. I guess I'll get it tomorrow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

You know there are a lot of good wines now that have screw tops. Just the opposite of high school.
I don't like messing with corkscrews!
See that's my problem. I don't know what's considered good vs. not so good. So I went with my backup plan. Cheaper= substandard ingredients.

More expensive = Better ingredients and quality control.

I ended up getting Bell Agio Chianti.
Looks like this:

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Looks good to me; where are the glasses?

I don't know about wines, either, and I'm like you and just buy in a particular range. They are always pretty good.
Sierra broke my last wine glass...lol. Suppose I could pick one up too.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not familiar with red wines at all....they give me an instant migraine. I am fairly knowledgable about German white wines, and I've picked up a bit about California white wines. When I was first learning about German whites, I learned about the different grape varieties, then about the different wine growing regions in Germany. Then I learned about the different harvest times for different grapes. It's actually rather fascinating. The longer a grape stays on the vine after ripening, the higher the sugar content once it's picked and used to make wine. If a ripe grape is frozen on the vine, which happens very rarely in Germany, it can be used to make a very rare, sweet (and quite expensive) dessert wine called Eiswein. Now I've figured out that my favorite wine growing region is the Mosel-Saar-Ruwer region, or the Nahe region. My favorite grapes are Riesling, Scheurebe, and Moscato or Muscat grapes. I prefer a later harvest, such as an Auslese or Spatelese. Berenauslese, Trokenberenauslese and Eiswein are far too sweet.

At any rate, if you can find a place to do wine tastings, I highly recommend it! It's fun. You can learn what types you like, what to look for when buying a wine, and how to serve it. Expensive doesn't always mean good, and I've found some absolutely excellent wines for under $8/bottle.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This wasn't exactly expensive. It was one of the expensive for this store. But this store doesn't carry anything over $20 that I saw.

I spent like 12 dollars. When I could have went with like a 3 dollar bottle.... So... expensive in my terms...lol

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea try seeing if you have any local winery's! We have a few local ones that do monthly testing parties! Or another fun option is to have a wine tasting party! Sorry I dont know much about wines, but I know my mom and grandmother and a few others really like the brand "Yellow Tale." But I dont know if it comes in red.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's actually a winery here. Very close to where I use to live. Never been there though.

I got it open. A bit disappointed. I could have bought the 3 dollar bottle and been happier.

jenc511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you have a wine or gourmet (or both) store relatively close, they often have tastings. One of the places near me has a beer tasting every Saturday from 1-5pm.

They have wine tastings every time I go there, it seems like. Given their tendency to bust out the wine for everyone who wanders in, I think they're all just a bunch of winos who like good cheese, if you ask me.

Nothing wrong with that.