TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Possible UTI/Obstruction - HELP!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Possible UTI/Obstruction - HELP!

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
I took lexi to the vet last week for what we thought was a UTI. For most of today she has been running around to the litterbox every couple of minutes trying to pee (which is very little) and I haven't seen her poop in a couple of days.
I was at work till 12, so I noticed her behavior once I got home. She was ok last night. Slept most of the evening like she usually does.
She is running to bathroom, sitting in the box, straining and trying to go. She is also going on the carpet and the walls. Part of her rectum is starting to swell up. I am going to go to the e-vet soon, but wanted to know if any one had any ideas what could be wrong?
She has been on zeniquin for over a week and I thought she was better, but now she is doing this and it's pretty bad. She is so restless she can't lay down for long periods. HELP!!
post #2 of 14
I feel your pain! My cat just got over a severe UTI. Same symptoms as yours and her anal region was very swollen. Poor girl! It was clearly bloody, what little bit would actually come out. I started her on antibiotics ASAP but still they take a couple days to kick in. My poor kitty suffered for 2 days and there was nothing I could do for her but try to comfort her and know the antibiotics would eventually make her feel better. Sadly, I had to "banish" her to her own room because she was dribbling on our carpet and the whole place started to reek of cat pee. Nature's Miracle to the rescue, thankfully! But she was happy to be alone where she could go in and out of her box as much as she wanted without driving us crazy or dripping all over the house. Sounds terrible, but having her in there helped us take our minds off it. She could relax and so could we. She didn't want to be near us anyway, she was in pain and just wanted to be alone.

Thankfully it eventually cleared up, but a UTI definitely is no fun. My kitty struggles with both constipation and UTI's, so I have to be well aware of her litter box habits.

Good vibes to Lexi in hopes of a speedy recovery! Unfortunately, it's so common in cats... we've all been through it or will at some point, so don't feel alone.
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
I did take her to the e-vet tonight. She has a bad UTI infection even though she has been on meds the whole time! She is confined to the bathroom for the time being and has to get rechecked next week at the regular vet. She was such a good girl!!
post #4 of 14
Poor girl. I've had bladder infections before and they hurt so bad but at least I can take Advil and Uristat for the pain and urgency of having to go, but poor kitties can't take anything and have to wait it out. They're such troopers though, rarely showing pain and trying to hide it. Good luck to your girl!

What was she on for meds when it started and what did the vet put her on now?
post #5 of 14
I hope Lexi feels better soon! What did the Vet prescribe for her?
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
She is still on Zeniquin (which he said is pretty strong prescription for UTI and was prescribed by our vet) and the e-vet put her on amoxicillin. She doesn't have any stones so that is good. The vet said she has LOTs of bacteria, some RBC's, and some crystals due to a possible high mineral in her diet. I feed her a mixture of Orijen/Serengetti so I thought should would be ok. I may have to alter her diet. Any ideas?
They took an x-ray, did a UA, gave her fluids and then the meds. Poor girl, I know she must be hurting and I hope that the other antibiotics will kick in soon. She does have to get rechecked with our regular vet next week. I am going to try and get her in tomorrow, Tuesday at the very latest. She will have to have another UA done while on the meds. I just can't understand why it got so severe even though she was on antibiotics for a UTI.
post #7 of 14
Oh no! I'm feeding Orijen too! Sharky said it was UTI friendly so I have high hopes.
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
I also asked Sharky, so I don't really think it could be the diet. All our other cats are fine!
post #9 of 14
I think some cats are more prone than others. That must be it.
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickyTat View Post
I think some cats are more prone than others. That must be it.
Could be...but now what do I feed her when I thought both were UTI safe?
post #11 of 14
I'm dealing with the same issue here with one of my favorite cats, Prowler. She has made multiple trips to the vets with different medications being given each time. She maybe rebounds for two days then she is back to dropping blood or spots of urine anywhere but the litter pans. I had her confined, but since their bladder flares up with stress, I unconfined her. I am at a loss what to do and fear uremic poisoning soon if it can't be stopped. She goes back to the vet tomorrow for what will be her sixth time. She did this back in December and we almost lost her. All I know is I just want her back to her normal loving self. I went holistic with her this weekend in the hopes that it might help, but so far she is still showing signs of great discomfort. I have found that feeding fish-flavored foods seems to accelerate this problem.

I wish you the best of luck with your cat-
post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy View Post
I'm dealing with the same issue here with one of my favorite cats, Prowler. She has made multiple trips to the vets with different medications being given each time. She maybe rebounds for two days then she is back to dropping blood or spots of urine anywhere but the litter pans. I had her confined, but since their bladder flares up with stress, I unconfined her. I am at a loss what to do and fear uremic poisoning soon if it can't be stopped. She goes back to the vet tomorrow for what will be her sixth time. She did this back in December and we almost lost her. All I know is I just want her back to her normal loving self. I went holistic with her this weekend in the hopes that it might help, but so far she is still showing signs of great discomfort. I have found that feeding fish-flavored foods seems to accelerate this problem.

I wish you the best of luck with your cat-
I am sooo sorry Hissy! That must be awful to even contemplate the thought of losing a beloved cat. I hope that they can figure out how to help her and soon!
post #13 of 14
I have also stopped feeding fishy foods. But I think I figured out what was causing Mitties' UTI's. She was having constipation problems and enemas were given. The enemas make a huge mess, and "stuff" dribbles down towards the.. um... other opening. The vet thinks bacteria got in there and caused it. I think she's right because a month later the same problem happened, and a week later, sure enough, straining to pee. Man, IMO, the "holes" should've been reversed. Would have caused a lot less problems!
post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickyTat View Post
I have also stopped feeding fishy foods. But I think I figured out what was causing Mitties' UTI's. She was having constipation problems and enemas were given. The enemas make a huge mess, and "stuff" dribbles down towards the.. um... other opening. The vet thinks bacteria got in there and caused it. I think she's right because a month later the same problem happened, and a week later, sure enough, straining to pee. Man, IMO, the "holes" should've been reversed. Would have caused a lot less problems!
That would probably have made it easier, but could you imagine all the complications of them being reversed? Anyway, I hope you have some better luck soon. I just don't know what is causing hers!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Possible UTI/Obstruction - HELP!