Putting some weight on Charlie - possible raw addition?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need to put a little more weight/muscle on Charlie (according to Adelah) - we were talking about adding some raw to his menu - but NOT going totally raw.

He's on RC now and canned cat food. Was gonna just increase the canned food to add weight, but she recommended to try some raw - mainly chicken wings.

So what's your thoughts on the raw or partially raw feeders? Can I just give him some nice chicken wings (2 x a week) to eat that were bought in the regular grocery store? The kind that is packaged for humans - just chicken wings.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes .. mine wont eat wings or necks anf they are LOW cal so wt gain you may want organs...
I would ensure they were anitbiotic free chn

MAKE sure the raw is feed about 8 hrs from the dry food

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So if I went with the raw organs (heart, gizzards, liver) how much would I feed him? Could I use a raw chicken leg? Would that be better for weight gain?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
yeah a leg would be better, dark meat has more fat

well a total raw is about 5 oz a day for 8-12 lb kitty

I watched grandma so this aint scietific but it was about 1 tablespoon per serving 3-4 servings a week.... if you can find them a "complete" raw with meat bone and organ may be a easier way since the% of stuff is measured for you.... www.barfdirect.com has organ only and completes you can look at ....

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

well a total raw is about 5 oz a day for 8-12 lb kitty
Just as a side note, most of mine adhere to this, more or less.. but Khan eats right about a pound a day, all by himself, and he wouldn't be hurting if he gained a little bit more weight.. (he's not underweight either, but..he could fill out a little more). The kittens eat more than my adults, but the four together are eating the other two pounds of raw meat that they're fed daily.

You might consider adding some egg yolk. If you soft boil it for about 5 minutes, the white will cook and leave the yolk runny, but still is cooked long enough to kill off infection (the research I read said that cooking for one minute does it).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

Just as a side note, most of mine adhere to this, more or less.. but Khan eats right about a pound a day, all by himself, and he wouldn't be hurting if he gained a little bit more weight.. (he's not underweight either, but..he could fill out a little more). The kittens eat more than my adults, but the four together are eating the other two pounds of raw meat that they're fed daily.

You might consider adding some egg yolk. If you soft boil it for about 5 minutes, the white will cook and leave the yolk runny, but still is cooked long enough to kill off infection (the research I read said that cooking for one minute does it).
Khan is the f3 right/??

My dog when she started eating raw ate a lb a day /.... she is a yorkie ..lmao..

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Khan is the f3 right/??

My dog when she started eating raw ate a lb a day /.... she is a yorkie ..lmao..
Wow, you have a good memory, Sharky!
Yes, he's the F3... I don't know if his metabolism is higher or what.. both my Bengals are about the same weight. Khan has about ... welll, almost a pound on Joyeux, but eats way more than she does. Both of them could stand to fill out/muscle up just a touch, though. Khan has sort of vacillated between less and more, and has finally settled into a routine of just a little over a pound a day... (he's a piggy!)

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I'll try one chicken leg (and some organs) twice a week and see what happens (2 legs a week)

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure why people are thinking Raw will put on the weight.

Cooked food and processed food will put on the weight as well. The problem is getting him to eat enough.

Are you thinking he'll eat more if you offer the raw diet?

My suggestion would be to feed the duck product made by BRAVO.

Have you ever seen a cat working on a raw chicken leg? VERY messy. They don't just gnaw on the leg on a bowl or paper plate. It's much more fun to drag it all over the house.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was thinking about the dragging it all over the house Nial...that was my hesitation.

Charlie will eat pretty much all you put out for him. So maybe I should skip the raw and just increase the canned food. Both he and Ling nibble on the dry for a few hrs till its gone. He likes the canned food better. And I guess it doesn't hurt to give him raw hamburger when I'm cooking as a treat (2-3 bites).

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As you know I'm definitely an advocate of raw feeding. I think it makes a huge positive difference in the health of cats, when done correctly.

It's not something to just dive into if you haven't done your homework.

A canned food you might want to try is Innova EVO. My cats love this and will eat heaps of it. Because they will consume so much, it puts the weight on.
You could also switch to "baby cat" royal canin. I think it's got a higher fat content and protein level.

Sharky can correct if I'm wrong about that.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

As you know I'm definitely an advocate of raw feeding. I think it makes a huge positive difference in the health of cats, when done correctly.

It's not something to just dive into if you haven't done your homework.

A canned food you might want to try is Innova EVO. My cats love this and will eat heaps of it. Because they will consume so much, it puts the weight on.
You could also switch to "baby cat" royal canin. I think it's got a higher fat content and protein level.

Sharky can correct if I'm wrong about that.
Baby cat or the over four month is HIGHER in both protein and fat and too my knowledge has no l carnitine ... which would actually not dissolve the extra fat
.. Any of the grain free wet s likely would help , in my house EVO causes trouble ( all the girls are allergic to dairy
)...
i did use raw to fatten up Kandie she loved it so much she gain 2lbs

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nial, with my cats the extra raw 3x a week (2x chicken, 1x beef) definitely helps in weight gain, don't particularly know why but it does help a lot. Velle the Maine Coon I'm showing has gained over a pound and a half since last week when I started. Another 2-3 pounds by November and she'll be in great shape for the November shows
She's on RC Kitten by the way

ETA - the 1lb or so is muscle not fat BTW.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I switched my Damita off the raw & onto Fromm's dry & various canned. She plumped up once I got her off the raw, much needed weight as she looked like I was starving her on raw!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to clarify - my cats are mainly on dry RC of one form or another. The raw is extra - a supplement if you will. I suggested the extra raw to GK because I think Charlie looks a bit thin. Plus the fact that raw does wonders for the caot!

The cats enjoy it and I enjoy seeing them wolf it down

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many of my cats are on an only raw diet. But, I feed a variety of meats along with the proper supplements. These cats all look like they workout at Gold's Gym.

Some of my cats do better on a combination of raw and commercial canned or dry.

I also feed royal canin kibble and have one or two "hold outs" who won't eat anything but the kibble.

I've found that sometimes you just have to let the cat decide what it wants to eat off the menu, so long as they continue to remain healthy and vibrant.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pogue, Joyeux, Bagheera and Noel have lost weight (Noel still has some to go). Khan is the only one who gained weight but that's because he refused to eat anything steadily for two years and finally got onboard with eating when Joyeux came and we started feeding raw. They are all on a raw diet now.