Getting rid of fleas on kitten?

missourigrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just noticed that Jack has some fleas. I spotted 2 or three on his neck. I think he's too little for stuff like frontline so is there something I can do to get rid of the fleas that won't harm him? A bath, something?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wash the kitten in Dawn dish detergent - it will kill the fleas - also get a flea comb and use it several times a day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missourigrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Wash the kitten in Dawn dish detergent - it will kill the fleas - also get a flea comb and use it several times a day.
Oh yeah, I think I read that on here. The kind with lemon right? It's not too harsh for a little kitten?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No the original formula and just a few drops, don't over do. Get a fine toothed baby comb or flea comb and comb out the damp kitten. The fleas will be stunned not dead. Drop the comb into hot hot hot soapy water to kill the fleas. Be sure the kitten doesn't catch a chill, use towels that have been cycling inthe dryer to keep him warm and don't put soap on his face, even though that is where the fleas will flea- comb his face instead.

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had this problem. The most important thing to do is to spray your home with one from the vet not over the counter. Fleas don't live on cats, they just go on them to 'feed'.

Do the house, then do the kitten otherwise you will be fitting a losing battle just by bathing him.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
also stick a flea collar in your vacuum and vacuum really well!

missourigrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I combed him before I bathed him and got a few fleas off. Then I gave him a bath with baby shampoo not Dawn but I was able to get several fleas off of him after the bath too. I'm washing his bed and vacuuming the entire house. This is the first time I've noticed them on him. Asher hasn't been scratching and neither me or my SO have been bitten so hopefully I just caught them. He is going to the vet Monday for something else but I will mention to the vet that I've seen fleas. Thanks so much everyone!

lonelykitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
we're dealing with this problem now as well. Our kitten we noticed had fleas and then we noticed them on the dog. They have all been on frontline plus (Chaos since we brought him in and the dogs for atleast a year). So we shut everyone in bathrooms sprinkled stuff on the carpet and I washed everyone while I was letting the stuff sit.

After the bath (with flea and tick shampoo) about 10 hours later the animals were again covered in fleas so I put on more frontline plus (it had been almost a month since last application). I got up this morning our one dog is itchy but that may be still from the prior flea bites and I don't see any fleas on him but Chaos I saw one and then picked two off his face so he's still seperated in the spare room until he gets under control.

Try a mixture of borax and salt and sprinkle it on your carpets and furniture wait a couple hours and than vaccum it up. I am going to do that tonight and let it sit all night and then vaccum it up when I get up in the morning and see if that will kill the fleas in the home. It's most important to treat your home if you just treat the animals you'll never get rid of the fleas.

missourigrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lonelykitten

Try a mixture of borax and salt and sprinkle it on your carpets and furniture wait a couple hours and than vaccum it up.
Where do I get borax? Do you mean just regular table salt?
Thanks!

lonelykitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure you can just get it at the store. That is where my husband is going tonight to get it and we're just using regular table salt. You might be able to use just borax with no salt but we were told to mix with salt so we're going to mix it with regular salt.

mermaid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old is Jack? You can use both Frontline and Advantage on cats as young as 8 weeks.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd get something from your vet for Jack - frontline or advantage.

Over-the-counter stuff rarely works and can cause more harm than good. I'm sure you already know to NEVER put a flea collar on your kitty - just do as another poster suggested and cut one up to put in your vacuum cleaner.

Another thing you can do is sprinkle diatomaceous earth (human/food grade) into your carpeting, sweep it down well into the fibres. It's perfectly safe for the kitties if they happen to ingest any. In fact it might even be good for them as it would kill any internal parasites.

pinchharmonic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by missourigrl

I just noticed that Jack has some fleas. I spotted 2 or three on his neck. I think he's too little for stuff like frontline so is there something I can do to get rid of the fleas that won't harm him? A bath, something?
Frontline Plus is safe for kitties 8 weeks or older. My kitty hated being washed so I would assume a little dab on the back of the neck is less agonizing.

mermaid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AZ<3Me

Frontline spray is safe even for new born kitties
This is not true. Frontline spray must not be used on kittens younger than 8 weeks of age. The label states that.

Do not apply this to kittens younger than 8 weeks of age.

az<3me

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
..i can swear that i saw a booklet of Frontline Spray and read that it is safe for pregnant cats and new born kitties...is it possible that there are different kind of Frontline sold in different parts of the world? :|

mermaid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AZ<3Me

..i can swear that i saw a booklet of Frontline Spray and read that it is safe for pregnant cats and new born kitties...is it possible that there are different kind of Frontline sold in different parts of the world? :|
This is what is written on the label for Frontline spray:
FRONTLINEÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] Spray provides effective flea and tick control for adult dogs and cats and for puppies and kittens 8 weeks of age or older.
Do not use on kittens and puppies under 8 weeks.
Source: Compendium of Veterinary Products

az<3me

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i DO believe u, thanks for the info. thing that keeps spinning in my mind is that booklet and ill try to go to that shop and ask to get one, bcuz in Russia the opinion that Frontline is safe for new borns and pregnant cats is EXTREMELY popular, and im sure that people got this information from some sourse! and it can be some kind of fake booklets, or catalogs!