Vibes for my kitchen please

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Aaron and my nephew are brewing beer today. Aaron grew hops in the garden this year for the first time and is very excited about today's brewing. He has been up since 5:00 this morning.

Can my kitchen have a few vibes that it survives this unscathed?

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
the vibes are on the way my friend!

Ps: is necesary a call to at 911? to

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my! My DH used to brew beer years ago and wants to pick it up again. All I can say are these 2 things:

Don't let them use a pan that you like a lot as you might never be able to use it again.

Open up the windows and place a fan in one of them blowing the smell out of your house.

I know it's a fun guy thing to do, but OMG that smell is horrible!!

The vibes are not for your kitchen, but for your nose:

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Oh my! My DH used to brew beer years ago and wants to pick it up again. All I can say are these 2 things:

Don't let them use a pan that you like a lot as you might never be able to use it again.

Open up the windows and place a fan in one of them blowing the smell out of your house.

Karen, after reading Amy's post.

Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of for you and your kitchen!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Agreed. Brewing Beer smells like old dirty socks and nasty pond water put together.

You may want to just go out for the afternoon, come back with some good smelling stuff, and then de-stink your house all day tomorrow.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What all goes into brewing your own beer? I got my dad one of those "Mr Beer" kits for Christmas years ago. Of course, it was a kit so the first steps (whatever you have to do with the hops) was already done. There wasn't any smell, but it sure looked disgusting when it was fermenting. Tasted good though! I'm guessing you have to boil the hops or something?

Anyway, I hope your kitchen survives!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh he's brewed before.
This isn't the first time.

The brewing has already started and I am here for the questions like "Where is the food processor?" and "How do you use the food processor?".

He has a dedicated pan just for brewing. Every window is already open.

This is my nephew's first brewing experience.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What kind of beer are they brewing today? My DH has made honey wheat, dopplebock and pale ale in the past.

Mine keeps threatening to brew more beer, and I keep telling him he better do it when the weather is warm enough to leave the house open.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
He's making an India Pale Ale today.

Originally Posted by calico2222

What all goes into brewing your own beer? I got my dad one of those "Mr Beer" kits for Christmas years ago. Of course, it was a kit so the first steps (whatever you have to do with the hops) was already done. There wasn't any smell, but it sure looked disgusting when it was fermenting. Tasted good though! I'm guessing you have to boil the hops or something?
You pretty much have to boil everything. He was cracking the grains a little while ago.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So do wasps come flying around the window or are they repelled by the smell????

Actually that's something I've wanted to try (someday)!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Let me know how it goes, Karen. Robert has decided to make his own (fermented) cider this year, and all I can imagine is how the house will smell.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

So do wasps come flying around the window or are they repelled by the smell????
No, no wasps or bees hovering.

Originally Posted by jcat

Let me know how it goes, Karen. Robert has decided to make his own (fermented) cider this year, and all I can imagine is how the house will smell.
The cooking is done and it is now cooling. We had every window open and although it is hot and humid today there is a good breeze, so the smell never got too bad.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was just telling Karen that we used to have a large brewery behind us at work until a couple of years ago, and in the summer the air stank of hops, but the blokes at work would be outside at lunchtime taking deep breaths of it while we screwed our faces up at it

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vibes for your kitchen

Hope it comes out well .......

Amy said party at your house in a couple of months ........ this wont be ready until then??

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey look at the bright side- you have a good excuse to go candle shopping now!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Amy said party at your house in a couple of months ........ this wont be ready until then??
Once you brew the beer, you have to let it ferment for a while before it is ready to drink. Part of the time was in a big glass jug with a coil type gadget on the top (I think it hits a certain gravity which you measure with the coily thingy), then put in bottles for a while.

My DH's experience was that the darker the beer, the longer it took before it got really yummy. He cracked open a bottle of his dopplebock after 4 months and it tasted terrible. Rather than pouring his work down the drain, he moved it to our storm cellar where it sat forgotten for over a year. On the day he decided to clean out the storm cellar, he decided to try another bottle and it was outstanding.

I remember his pale ale and honey wheat's usually took about 2-4 months to fully ferment. He calls it a labor of love.

mickey 14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh no!! Here are your I know what it was like when My hubby and his buddies used to process deer in my kitchen EWWWWW! Thank goodness they don't do that anymore!!

This reminds me of the threes company episode in which Mr.Roper brews his own beer: He tries to get Mrs. Roper to try it and she says " there are things floating in it" Mr.Roper: "Those are HOPS" Mrs. Roper: OK it has things HOPPING in it!"