Quick question

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was just wondering if only Bengals have the 'glitter' in their coats or can other breeds have it too?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty sure Bengals are the only breed with glitter.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Other cats can be shiny though, the glitter is hard to photograph and doesn't show up under all light. Not all bengals have it either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siggav

Other cats can be shiny though, the glitter is hard to photograph and doesn't show up under all light. Not all bengals have it either.
I know other cats can be shiny. I was just asking cause Milo has the glitter, and nots just a shine. It's just like you said, hard to photograph and doesn't show up under all light.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To clarify one thing though. The glitter didn't come from the Asian Leopard Cat that's the wild ancestor in Bengals. It came from a domestic cat that was used in the breeding program so it is something that can happen naturally in domestic cats.

However no other breed is specifically breeding for it and I don't know of it having shown up elsewhere, other than in that one cat that was used when the bengal breed was being developed. That's not saying it can't show up in moggies and people just didn't know what it was.

I went to quite a bit of trouble but managed to capture Nikita's glitter in a photo:

If your cat is showing that sprinkled with dust type sparkle in his fur I guess it'd show up as being like silver or mother of pearl sparkles rather than gold like in the brown cats.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The domestic cat used by Millwood introduce glitter into the Bengals was also used to introduce new blood the Egyptian Mau.

In the 1970s mans began to suffer again from the limited gene pool. Something had to be done. In 1980. Jean S. Mill, (Millwood cattery, currently a Bengal breeder) was contacted by a zoo in New Delhi, India. There was a cat running loose in the rhino pen that had gotten its tail mostly severed. She saved the cat (Millwood Toby in CVA and Millwood Tory of Delhi) a bronze male, along with another bronze female (Millwood Tashi) and created the “Indian linesâ€. These cats introduced the glitter gene, improved the health, improved the clarity and contrast of spotting and produced a richer rufousing in the bronze. This opened the registries for imports to he accepted.

http://www.breeds.traditionalcats.co...yptian_mau.htm

Bailey comes from an Indian Line, so he tends to get glittery in the right light. Sometimes I have to rub my eyes to be sure they're not playing tricks on me!

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm interesting.

That is a very nice picture of your cat Siggav, thanks. I noticed with Milo that the shininess or glitter shows more in natural light. Who knows maybe he is just extra shiny but he is not like any other cat I've had or seen in person. I think he's definitly got some specific breed mixed in but don't know what since he has more stripes than spots.

Thanks again for answering my question.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From your picture - he looks more like a mackeral tabby - not a spotted one - sometimes mackeral stripes tend to break up some in spots.

You can see that Charlie is a true spotted tabby.

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

From your picture - he looks more like a mackeral tabby - not a spotted one - sometimes mackeral stripes tend to break up some in spots.

You can see that Charlie is a true spotted tabby.
I never claimed that Milo was a spotted anything. All I said was he has more stripes than spots. But thanks for clearing that up for me lol

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ABK

I never claimed that Milo was a spotted anything. All I said was he has more stripes than spots. But thanks for clearing that up for me lol
You are funny!

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

Maybe Milo has some Mau in him somwhere back in his lines.
Perhaps, perhaps...guess I will never know. But either way I still love his colouring and how soft his coat is
Quite different from our other guys.