How do you introduce us TCSers to your friends?

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you introduce us TCS members when you mention us to your friends/acquaintances in conversation? When I'm at work and I talk about something from this forum, I have to go through the whole spill of--"its not a 'chat room', its a forum of other cat lovers, blah...blah...blah..."

Everyone still thinks its a chat room. Which maybe it is, I"m not very hip, so maybe I'm wrong.

But either way, I feel so close to you all and share a lot of stuff that I wouldn't share with most people I know. Its just that I feel weird when people ask me why I do tell y'all the stuff I do.

But I feel like I have more friends on here than in real life. Scratch that--I know I do.

Is it because we can't be face to face to judge each other? Its just rare the community feeling this website has; a website that spans the entire globe.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmm, I dont really talk about TCS,lol.
But if i see some pics or a thread that i like, i will link it to friends in IM or a email to them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

hmm, I dont really talk about TCS,lol.
But if i see some pics or a thread that i like, i will link it to friends in IM or a email to them.
What?!?!
You don't talk about us????

Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Most of my friends are active on some forum or another, whether it be gaming, wedding stuff etc... so they just get it
Lucky you. I need more updated friends.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny you should ask that question.........................I often wondered the same!
Personally, I have had many emotional, humorous, and even educational (or atleast debatable
) moments shared here with my TCS friends! I have shared some with my personal friends and at this point if I bring up a kitty topic, they ask "Is that from The Cat Site?"!
I can't help but include TCS in a personal conversation, it is a part of my life! The same way I want to share my life with TCS friends! I always describe TCS as a forum of cat lovers, where you can talk about kitty behavior, breeds, share pics, or just chat about whatever you want, even debate issues!

noludoru

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just say.. "and on the cat forums......"

They either understand, or they don't. I'm not terribly particular about it, though I'll always answer questions about forums if asked.

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't really talk about the forum that much. I did have a friend at work come here when she adopted one of my kittens last year. I don't think she has ever posted though.

My BF reads over my shoulder sometimes
when I am on from home but he just likes the pictures.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always wondered how to talk about TCS... because every time I bring up TCS I get laughed at.
People think I just sit on here ALLLLL day talking about my cat. (Like I'm really selfish or something) When that's not true, we talk about everything from our cats, to our SO's, to the war, to the celebrities, to whatever the thread is about. Some people just don't "get it".
But, mostly everyone I talk to already knows about you guys, so when I'm talking I just say "And you know that one site I go on...." Or "Guess what happened on the cat site...."

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually say my Cat Site buddies!!! My mom knows what I mean when I say that.
Neil usually just rolls his eyes even though he has joined a couple of other forums he rarely visits them!!

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say: '(name) on the cat forum I go on said.....'

I try not to mention it sometimes coz I know what comments will come, so I just pretend I'm really knowledgable about cats.

They think I'm all mad and cat obsessed, including my partner. Luckily my son isn't old enough to realise what a crazy lady his mummy is.

I laugh myself sometimes when I say some of the names. Some of you folks do make me chuckle....

You are all my friends. It's facinating hearing different stories about cats or otherwise, and I can't comment on them to people I know face to face because they don't understand

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AsecretK

My BF reads over my shoulder sometimes
when I am on from home but he just likes the pictures.
My partner reads over my shoulder too.
He askes why people talk about paint colour or what they did that day. He thinks it's abit wierd.

catfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

I usually say my Cat Site buddies!!! My mom knows what I mean when I say that.
Neil usually just rolls his eyes even though he has joined a couple of other forums he rarely visits them!!
That's pretty much what I say too. I seem to talk about everyone here as much as people I meet in my everyday life. (I always have to share the 8-Bit stories!!
)

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hahah,
With this and a lot of other forums it's hard to discuss things with my friends. It's hard for them to understand that I have a bunch of friends online, or that forums aren't chatrooms. And with my parents, I just omit the forum part entirely (they just wouldn't get it) and say "a friend".

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hah some of my best friends I met online, I'm fannish and I've been involved in online communities etc. for years now.

So yeah my parents and everyone around me is used to me being a member of an online community

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At home I say, "so and so from the Cat Site." They know how it is with me, LOL. At work or otherwise I'm in denial. I say, "my friend from Maine," or "my friend from Michigan"

rone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just say "...this person from cat forum said....". One of my best friend hates animals. Although the other is an animal lover but her cat passed away some years ago & no pets are allowed in the new place she's in. This will change soon as she's getting married next year. I can't wait to buy new toys for her kitties!