wet food

laine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a few cans of wet food, which i use as a back up incase i run out of dry food, but one of my cats hates the wet food, is that common??

usually my cats will run to the wet food, and they act as though its a treat.

also, my three cats are always hungry, they eat so much food, they arent overweight, but i think they may be overeating, how do i know?

george's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had an almost similar question. Do cats NEED to have wet food? My George isn't crazy about it. I've tried a few different brands but he wasn't very interested. There's always dry out for him but if I should be adding wet - as a treat - I'll give it another go at trying to find a brand he likes. My local shelter is sooo happy with me and all the food I've passed on that George has refused to eat!

G

ghostuser

What are your cats eating? If they are indeed a good weight but eating an unusually large amount, the most likely reason would be a poor quality food.

Some cats just never really learn to like wet food.. They don't NEED it, but it is very good for them. So even if they're only getting something extra-tempting like Meow Mix cups as a treat, it can be helpful. But they certainly won't die not eating it if they just refuse to.

frisk

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Laine

I have a few cans of wet food, which i use as a back up incase i run out of dry food, but one of my cats hates the wet food, is that common??
Yes, I believe it is quite common. It's been 2 years and I'm still trying to get Frisco to eat wet food. I've tried different brands and flavors (of quality food - eagle pack/felidae) but he just isn't interested.

It's good for cats to eat wet food because cats don't have a strong thirst drive. Wet foods help to keep them more hydrated and possibly to lower the risk of kidney failure as they age.

Because your cat refuses to eat wet food, you could try encouraging him to drink more buy having water dishes in each room and also to have a source of running water available. Cat's seem to be more interested in running water.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For years I fed mainly dry - just started back to dry and canned. When you have a lot of cats, canned tends to get expensive. My rex kittens would get canned as kittens, but eventually they were dry food eaters with no problems. Spooky was 15 1/2 yrs old when he died; Taz is 18 yrs old and a dry food eater.

Some cats just don't like canned, so if you have some that are that way, don't worry about it. As long as you are feeding a high quality dry food - that's the important thing

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My personal opinion is that cats get addicted to the dry food. Particularly, if that's all they've eaten for a long time.

I truly believe that wet food is better for the cats, but I feed mine some dry as well, because Cindy is just not that wild about wet. She has some brands/flavors (fish) she likes, and I cave to her tastes and buy her the Meow Mix for once in awhile.

They do get very good quality dry (at night), so I feel okay about it.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

My personal opinion is that cats get addicted to the dry food. .
That's not just your opinion, that's fact. It's called a "carbohydrate addiction."

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

That's not just your opinion, that's fact. It's called a "carbohydrate addiction."
Makes sense, since a lot of us humans have the same addiction!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tried at least 10 different brands (quality wet) before finding Merrick. That's the only brand our little ones will eat.

Others get their cats to eat wet by placing a few pieces of their dry food on the top.

I agree that if your cats still seem hungry after eating fairly large amounts, then the dry food you are feeding is probably not very good quality.

I've found that the good quality food (dry) lasts much longer because the cat is getting the nutrition it needs on far less quantity so the cost of the quality food probably ends up being equal or less in the long term.

4meezers3kids

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes after increasing the canned food and decreasing the dry, it took THREE DAYS for my young monsters to slow down. Now they actually walk away wit hsome wet left in the bowls ... and, the litter box improvement is DRAMATIC!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4meezers3kids

Yes after increasing the canned food and decreasing the dry, it took THREE DAYS for my young monsters to slow down. Now they actually walk away wit hsome wet left in the bowls ... and, the litter box improvement is DRAMATIC!
Oh yes, I had forgotten that too. Since we started the Orijen dry to go with the Merrick wet, our litter boxes literally do not smell. It's been amazing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Oh yes, I had forgotten that too. Since we started the Orijen dry to go with the Merrick wet, our litter boxes literally do not smell. It's been amazing.
So wet food does make the litter boxes smell better???

i thought it was the opposite...

Merrick is the wet food thats best?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

So wet food does make the litter boxes smell better???

i thought it was the opposite...

I must be cautious here.
Wet food IMO, has no bearing on whether the litter box will smell or not. I think it is the "quality" of the food that makes the litter better plus, of course your own particular kitty's digestive system and the type of litter you use.

I can say for certain that since I bought a bag of World's Best Cat Litter for the shelter where I volunteer, they have noticed a huge decrease in litter odour in the little kittens' rooms.

I use WBCL and our litter honestly does not smell. I do scoop at least once per day.

As for Merrick being the "best" wet food - I wouldn't say that. I would say that it is ONE of the best.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm somewhat disillusioned with Merrick's because they seem to have problems with consistency from one batch to another. When it's good, it's great, but when it's not, it's not very good. I don't know what the problem is, but I don't use all that much Merrick's any more. Wellness is the brand that I'm most impressed with, followed up closely by Eagle Pack.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't had any issues with Merrick (well a small one some time ago). Since our cats won't touch any of the better foods like Wellness, Natural Balance, etc, I'm pretty much stuck with Merrick but as I said, I've not had any serious problems with the quality.

maree

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've decided to put down 1 can of wet split into two bowls for my kitties. I also put a small amount of dry in another bowl. With the water bowl that's 4 bowls for 2 cats!! I don't mind. I do the same thing again at 3 p.m. and if they're lucky some dry to hold them overnight. A SMALL AMOUNT of dry. Otherwise they are crying at 6 am for food. Neither of them are fat. They are both between 6-8 lbs. I do like when they eat the wet though. I buy 9 Lives. I know it's not fancy, but they usually eat it.