We're awaiting a suprise...

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom just called and said "Don't tell Deacon but you dad got him something today and I'm on my way over with it."

So I ask her "What is it? A toy?"
She said "No, it's alive"
She won't tell me what it is, just something Deacon will enjoy.

I have to say, I'm a but worried now because she also said it was something Deacon has asked my dad for in the past.

Mind you, Deacon is 5yrs old and Knowing my dad, he prolly got him a snake or a tarantula or something and if it is then I would

She wouldn't give me any clues on it either

This should be interesting

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm... I'm expecting a pocket pet, personally. Maybe a hamster or a rat... You can't bring home anything bigger as a surprise, anyway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Callista

Hmm... I'm expecting a pocket pet, personally. Maybe a hamster or a rat... You can't bring home anything bigger as a surprise, anyway.
Thats what I was thinking also... but my dad knows I have the cats and that they would terrorize it

kerry'n'ben

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
do you know what it is yet? i would say a pocket pet too - i'll keep my fingers crossed that it has less than 8 legs and more than 0

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Errrrr... good luck. Whatever it is if it's alive no 5 year old however wonderful they are has the responsibility to solely look after any creature's needs- I am hoping for your sake that it is something easy to care for!!!!

Please let us know, I am very curious at this point!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Errrrr... good luck. Whatever it is if it's alive no 5 year old however wonderful they are has the responsibility to solely look after any creature's needs- I am hoping for your sake that it is something easy to care for!!!!

Please let us know, I am very curious at this point!
I agree, whatever it is- i hope they were considerate in picking it out and it's something that you'll be able to care for properly.

Do you know what it is yet???? I'm dying to know!!!!!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kerry'n'ben

do you know what it is yet? i would say a pocket pet too - i'll keep my fingers crossed that it has less than 8 legs and more than 0
Uh..... yeah... it's here
It has less then 8 and more then 0... It has 6.... and it's outside.. on the porch... in a cage... where it's staying...

Here it is.....

It's a bug... a weird gross one.. I think it's a "walking stick".

See, Deacon is the worlds youngest entamologist... He loves and I mean LOVES bugs..
He cries when I kill one... even a fly.
He has an amazing gift with them also. He's handled wasps, bees and other things w/o ever being stung.
My dad knows how he loves bugs and found this "thing" on a jobsite this afternoon and decided to bring it home to him.... Thanks Dad.. I have the creepy crawlies now...

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I used to LOVE walking sticks when I was little. They are harmless and fascinating...honestly. Of course, I never kept one as a pet, but in the wild they could be picked up just like a praying mantis.

I did a quick search and found this link:
http://www.ivyhall.district96.k12.il...kingstick.html

I don't think they should really be kept as pets though. Maybe you can convince your son to release him after a few days. Just make sure he has a lot of leaves to eat in the meantime.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Oh, I used to LOVE walking sticks when I was little. They are harmless and fascinating...honestly. Of course, I never kept one as a pet, but in the wild they could be picked up just like a praying mantis.

I did a quick search and found this link:
http://www.ivyhall.district96.k12.il...kingstick.html

I don't think they should really be kept as pets though. Maybe you can convince your son to release him after a few days. Just make sure he has a lot of leaves to eat in the meantime.
Oh trust me, we are NOT keeping this thing

Im waiting till he falls asleep to return him to the great outdoors..... with Dh's help of course.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well if you want to keep it, but not inside... try putting it on the outside wall of your house at night near your porch light or something.

i have a pair that hang out in the alcove by my front door and they are there every night without fail. not a bad way to let deacon study it while not having in in your house
the ones i have never try to come inside.

now the spiders on the other hand

ETA: Duh me... I was reading this thread w/o being logged in so the times were all off... since you wrote this yesterday, you've probably already released him to the great outdoors by now

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I would do is convience Duncan to do a quick report on the bug (with help of the computer), take a few photos of his own, and present it to his science teacher for extra credit.

Then tell him that the bug would be much happier out in the wild and together take it to a nice spot and let it go - let Duncan pick out the spot to release and maybe shoot some more pics of it in the "wild"

xlpooper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh let the poor kid keep the Walking Stick. It isn't slimy or anything

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom

well if you want to keep it, but not inside... try putting it on the outside wall of your house at night near your porch light or something.

i have a pair that hang out in the alcove by my front door and they are there every night without fail. not a bad way to let deacon study it while not having in in your house
the ones i have never try to come inside.

now the spiders on the other hand

ETA: Duh me... I was reading this thread w/o being logged in so the times were all off... since you wrote this yesterday, you've probably already released him to the great outdoors by now
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

What I would do is convience Duncan to do a quick report on the bug (with help of the computer), take a few photos of his own, and present it to his science teacher for extra credit.

Then tell him that the bug would be much happier out in the wild and together take it to a nice spot and let it go - let Duncan pick out the spot to release and maybe shoot some more pics of it in the "wild"
It's Deacon

Originally Posted by xlpooper

Oh let the poor kid keep the Walking Stick. It isn't slimy or anything
Well, we let him keep it inside for the night but it went OUTside this morning.
It's hanging out on the tree out front... Where it belongs

The report would be a great idea but he's only in Kindergarten

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That must have been a shocker, I think people should have posted less that 6 legs.

How upset would he get if it 'walked off' one night?

He he, how did you react when they presented the 'gift'. And what did you say?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry Deacon

But even in kindergarden, he could do a simple report (even if he dictates - you write the way he says) and take pictures. Keep it for his future - its fun to look back at very early "writings" and stories you did - and great for graduation too