County Law Reguarding feeding stray/feral

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just heard today from a friend that in my county it's illegal to feed stray/feral animals. I've tried to look the info up myself and couldn't find anything about it. I know years ago we were told that if you feed a stray for 3 days, you're legally responsible for it.

I was doing some calling yesterday about s/n prices and had a heartattack. I did find one vet that will do ferals but they would want the whole colony all at once. When I told this to my friend, she told me they wouldn't do the surgery, they would just put the cats down?! I'm a tad afraid to call the shelter to find out if any of this is true after hearing that. Granted there's only 8 of them (right now) and I want nothing to happen to them. Ugh. Should I call? What in the world should I do? I'd hate to take any of them to get fixed and they end up pts.

Help!

Chrissy

mikex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would start with the facts, call the local animal control agency and find out what the law is, then you can decide if you want to follow it or ...

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ChrissyR

I just heard today from a friend that in my county it's illegal to feed stray/feral animals. I've tried to look the info up myself and couldn't find anything about it. I know years ago we were told that if you feed a stray for 3 days, you're legally responsible for it.

I was doing some calling yesterday about s/n prices and had a heartattack. I did find one vet that will do ferals but they would want the whole colony all at once. When I told this to my friend, she told me they wouldn't do the surgery, they would just put the cats down?! I'm a tad afraid to call the shelter to find out if any of this is true after hearing that. Granted there's only 8 of them (right now) and I want nothing to happen to them. Ugh. Should I call? What in the world should I do? I'd hate to take any of them to get fixed and they end up pts.

Help!

Chrissy
Chrissy....Alley Cat Allies may know. I would contact them first...you are right to be a bit suspicious to contact Animal Control. They will also be able to help you to find a low cost clinic. Where in MD are you?

I just received this:

Attend the Prince George's County Feral Cat
Summit 2007 on Sunday, October 14, 2007, 9 am to 5 pm.

The Summit will explore humane alternative approaches to dealing with
homeless animals. Expert speakers are coming from the Humane Society of
the United States, Charlottesville-Albermarle SPCA and Voices for
Animals, The Animals and Society Institute, the George Washington
University School of Law.

Everyone who attends will take home their own personal copy of the book,
Implementing a Community Trap-Neuter-Return Program by Bryan Kortis, a
$9.95 value, courtesy of the Humane Society of the United States, as well
as other Summit materials.

For current information about the full program for the Feral Cat Summit
2007, see http://www.FeralCatSummit.org/ We are still working to make
this event even better, so there may be more!

Please attend, and feel free to wear your group's T-Shi rts or other
identification. Also encourage others to register for the Summit, which
will be held at the Prince George's County Educators' Association
Center, 8008 Marlboro Pike, Forestville, MD 20747. Online registration is
available at http://www.FeralCatSummit.org/

Registration includes a Delicious Hot Vegan Lunch and Materials.

Katie

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have some help for you MAYBE

Call Spay USA to find out about a vet that does 50 dollar spay/neuters. I think its in Silver Spring MD?

There may be others nearer to your location in MD.

1-800-spay is the number to call...

There is a great clinic planned in DC that could help you out w/low cost
spay neuter.

I am in similar situation and some WONDERFUL folks FINALLY stepped in to heip me with spay neuter AND trapping a colony I've been struggling with for the last year. I feed, have trapped 17 kittens 1 male and 1 breeding female from the colony. I missed 2 pregger moms and now have 20 kitten/cats ...

Yikes! I have 500 dollars to put toward their care, and with a patch work of funding and assistance from wonderful people in Fairfax, VA and other state areas have managed to secure 8 to 10 cat's future spay/neuters before October. Wheee!! I'm on my way to having 20 done.

But its taken a critical situation to get the assistance. So I feel for yall.

Its been a total struggle. Please call the 1-800-spay number, and check across state lines into PA or DE if you are closer to those states.

And bless you if manage to even get a FEW of them done!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My friend who told me about the change in the laws runs/owns her own no-kill shelter. She gave me a number to a vet in PA that does low-cost feral s/n's. I'm calling them tomorrow to see how much they charge, where in PA they are and get all the information I can. I *think* one of the girls, Trouble, is in "trouble". LOL She was eating today and she has a bit of a side pudge going on. From what I can tell, there's 4 boys and 4 girls. One main Mom cat, 2 adult children and 5, about 7 month old, kittens. If I can only afford to get the girls spayed, it'd be well worth it in my book. We bought the Purrfect Fence a few months ago and we're finally setting it up. I'm thinking of moving those 8 up here into the fence for the time being.

chadsgirl374

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I just joined but I thought I might be able to help. I have 4 feral cats that I have been caring for for the past 1 1/2yrs. The Humane Society in my area has a clinic and I was charged $40 per cat to have them spayed/neutered, ear cropped and shots. I thought that perhaps they were doing something similar in your area.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by chadsgirl374

Hi, I just joined but I thought I might be able to help. I have 4 feral cats that I have been caring for for the past 1 1/2yrs. The Humane Society in my area has a clinic and I was charged $40 per cat to have them spayed/neutered, ear cropped and shots. I thought that perhaps they were doing something similar in your area.
Hi there....welcome and thanks for the suggestion however if TNR is illegal, depending on the Humane Society, they may not be able to assist her.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chadsgirl374

Thank you and welcome to the site! Ours does do that but for housecats only. Even states it in the ad when they run it.