TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Fossett search expanded to 10,000 square miles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fossett search expanded to 10,000 square miles

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
That's about the size of Massachusetts.

This may sound really callous, but if he weren't rich and famous would they be looking this hard? Seriously, I've never heard of a search of this magnitude for anyone. They are using sonar to search a lake. You rarely hear that even in potential murder cases or missing person cases.

I realize lots of people know his name. His friends are rich and famous too. Does that really make him more worthy of a giant search than just some guy who flew a plane and didn't come back? Or people out hiking who don't come back? Or anyone else who is missing??

There was a couple who was missing in the Rocky Mountain National Park for 5 days who were found yesterday. I didn't see them even on the national news, let alone updates on the search every 1/2 hour. Are they worth less as human beings than this "adventurer"?
post #2 of 14
I never heard the name before who is he?
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb View Post
This may sound really callous, but if he weren't rich and famous would they be looking this hard? Seriously, I've never heard of a search of this magnitude for anyone. They are using sonar to search a lake. You rarely hear that even in potential murder cases or missing person cases.
DH and I were just saying the same thing this morning.
post #4 of 14
Didn't President Clinton call the Navy out to search for John Kennedy Jr when his plane went missing?



And who is to say that the cost of the search won't be paid by him or his estate?
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping View Post
I never heard the name before who is he?
A rich guy who likes to set records: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Fossett
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb View Post
I realize lots of people know his name. His friends are rich and famous too. Does that really make him more worthy of a giant search than just some guy who flew a plane and didn't come back? Or people out hiking who don't come back? Or anyone else who is missing??
I think it just boils down to money. Since he was a rich man and had lots of rich friends and family, then every dollar can be sent in an effort to find him. The police and any Search & Rescue team are probably getting a hefty donation for their efforts as well.

Your average smo that makes $50K a year with no rich friends and winds up missing will probably have the normal alloted time for search (whatever that is). Many people that do continue search efforts for their loved ones on their own go into debt as a result of using every dollar they earn towards finding out what happened.
post #7 of 14
If it weren't for adventurers, those of us in dull, humdrum lives, wouldn't be able to revive our existence through vicarious participation in their adventures. Saying Steve Fossett is a rich guy who likes to set records is like saying Columbus was an Italian guy who like to go sailing, or Edmund Hillary was a guy who liked heights. I hope he's OK. A world without people like him would be a very boring world indeed.
post #8 of 14
When I first heard of him being missing, the first thing I thought of was Amelia Earhart!
post #9 of 14
10,000 square miles is a square of only 100 miles by 100 miles. His airplane can fly farther than that. They should expand the search area.

If he wasn't such a celebrity, he wouldn't rate news update on the hour and half hour. But they'd still be looking just the same. That's what the National Guard and the Civil Air Patrol do.
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster View Post
If it weren't for adventurers, those of us in dull, humdrum lives, wouldn't be able to revive our existence through vicarious participation in their adventures. Saying Steve Fossett is a rich guy who likes to set records is like saying Columbus was an Italian guy who like to go sailing, or Edmund Hillary was a guy who liked heights. I hope he's OK. A world without people like him would be a very boring world indeed.
I told ya from the outset that it makes me sound callous.

I hope he's OK and found safe too - I would never wish harm on him!
post #11 of 14
I have some blogger friends, in the Reno/Tahoe/Carson City area and they are keeping us updated on what they're seeing. It seems that they've found wreckage, from a plane that's been missing for 40 years - SOMEBODY may be getting some closure.
post #12 of 14
yes they would,
would you hear about it, no.
My uncle went down in the hills NC, back in the early 80;s
they looked for him for 2 weeks before they found him alive.

oh yea, i still have the newpapers where they talked it,
they talked about he escaped from the germans after being shot down in WW2,
how he was knowen hunter and outdoor type guy, so they felt ifhe was able to get out of the plane then his chance of living was very good.. all which turned out to be true. he spent 3 days in the hosptial and was let go.
post #13 of 14
Here's a CNN piece on the CAP's search for Steve Fossett:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/...ett.search.cnn
post #14 of 14
Wow, Bruce. Great story. Is you Uncle still alive? I love stories like that about tough old geezers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Fossett search expanded to 10,000 square miles