question about new born kitten eyes

gaby _o

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, every body, this is my first post. Well recently my friend left town, and i agreed to stay with her cat, she has short fur, black and brown with an orange streaak on her nose, but it turns out she was pregnant!!!!! My friend didn't know or just didn't tell me,. She had 5 kittens, 4 completely white and one gray, sunday it will be two weeks. Well three openend their eyes on tuesday,one on wednesday, until yesterday night another had not openend its eyes yet. Well i'm a little bit scared, first because their eyes are blue black, i looked for pictures of new born kittens eyes, but didn't find any, but i read that the eyes should be blueish, but not totally blue. and then because the eye opening of the gray seem to be too small, or maybe the corners of the eyes are still stuck together? I read about microphthalmia (or something like that) but could not find pictures to compare. One white also seems to have a small eye openening problem, the other eye is normal. The mother cat is not too easy on letting me touch the babies, so i wouldn't like to take them out to the vet if its not necessary. so the question is, should i worry, can you please describe how their eyes should look, or maybe somebody has a picture around? if the eye openeing is too samll can it be operated or something? How long should i wait before taking the baby that didn't open its eyes yet to the vet. Other than these eye issues the babies are perfectly fine, their mom is very caring and its wonderful to watch. Thankyou sooo much...
ooooh just one more question, when can i get the mother neutered, can she get pregnant already, again?

mishirish

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, she can get pregnant again, she can get pregnant right after birth so don't let her outside or she may already be.

As for the eyes, I'm not experienced enough to describe newborn eye problems, someone will be along shortly hopefully with more info. I can say however that kittens can take a few days to fully open their eyes, so if the corners look stuck, it just might be another day or two to open completely. Also, some open later than others, and two weeks isn't unheard of so just give them a few more days? I've read that if the eye is completely blue, there could be a problem, however with my kittens their eyes were such a dark blue at first that it was difficult to see the black pupil. Take another, good look, if mum will let you. =)

anmccleod

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens eyes are very dark when they first open, and it can take a few days for them to fully open. BUT if there is a gunky discharge(it happens a lot in kittens), call your vet, most likely they will need anti-biotics to get rid of the gunk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gaby _o

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by anmccleod

Kittens eyes are very dark when they first open, and it can take a few days for them to fully open. BUT if there is a gunky discharge(it happens a lot in kittens), call your vet, most likely they will need anti-biotics to get rid of the gunk.
No discharge, and now mostly worried about what seems to be a small eye openig. I hope its nothing, maybe all the research that i've been doing is whats getting me scared, since all cases that i read are sooooo extreme.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes it will take two or three days for an eye to completely open. as long as there is no discharge,( eye boogies) I wouldn't worry. Their eyes will be dark blue until they are three or four weeks old, and if some of the kittens are white, the may even be blue eyed! It was nice of you to take in this momma!

fenleebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A few of my orphans had very squinty eyes for a several days. Maybe that's what you are experiencing. And, when they were all open, there eyes were SO dark they looked black.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry right now, especially if there is no discharge from the eye. It takes them a little while to get their eyes fully opened and some develope faster than others. If you see puss or heavy build up on the eye that is keeping it from opening, that is when you need to contact a vet. Until then, it should be fine.

Is the mother friendly with you? If so, they are about the age you should start handling them a little. Not a lot...just pet them (petting the mother at the same time helps to calm her) but they need to get used to humans.

You are a wonderful person for taking care of mommy and her babies!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gaby _o

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanksss. yes they all opened their eyes already and I think I can start seeing their pupils. They are even starting to want to come out of their little cave, but they can't walk that good yet. I think they also already know who I am, and will come forward when I kneel down to see them.