Ummm.....WOW!

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok... So i went outside to try and snap some new hummingbird pics. I was pleasantly interrupted/surprised by a new visitor of the raptor variety
I am still speechless and in awe. I can't even think of anything else to type except wow!

He looked at me

Red-tailed hawk I do believe

There are a few peregrine falcons around too! One landed on the fence the other day not 5 feet from me! Of course I did'nt have the camera

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Beautiful birds! We used to have a few Red-tails in my old neighborhood.

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's gorgeous! Looks young, too.

We have a pair of bald eagles that nest behind ou house every year. We periodically see them flying, but never up close like this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jarvis

Beautiful birds! We used to have a few Red-tails in my old neighborhood.
Cool! Was that in Fla too?

Originally Posted by Cocoalily

It's gorgeous! Looks young, too.

We have a pair of bald eagles that nest behind ou house every year. We periodically see them flying, but never up close like this.
How can you tell it is young or old? I'd love to know

Those bald eagles are huge!

I've been feeding the wildbird this year. I am sure that is whats bringing the hawk(s) and falcons in. They've made a few successfull kills too. I'm really surpised they don't go after the doves though. They are by far the slowest birds! I guess they are too big
but they go after the pidgeons- wierd

I love their stelth! I never hear them. I hear the other birds mad dash to get to cover, but when one of the birds of prey come in its completly silent. No wing flapping noise, nothing. Man they are awesome birds!

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have red tail hawks here in SE Georgia. A few months back I had one flew just 2 feet away from me. He (or she) was on top of a light pole and I was talking with a friend. Well next thing we know a red tail hawk swooped down beside us and grabbed a lizard and flew. And wouldn't ya know this is the one time I did not have a camara on me.

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the compliments

Ping: I did'nt know they ate lizards!? Cool

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Red-tailed Hawk - either a young one without full color (cause the tail should be more red) or a female one

Cool pictures!

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see! Thank you

So a male would be redder

Good info!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The male (full grown) at our barn was bright red on the head and tail with white. One male got killed - that's how we know the feathers. The female found another mate the next year.

I think females (in most raptors) are larger then the males. Size wise - he/she looks skinny and "young" IMO.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had turkey in our yard the last sunday of August. Big ones and the little turkettes.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in New England, you can often see the hawks perched atop poles by the highways. They follow the big mowing tractors as they mow the grass and then grab the mice, etc that the mowers scare up!
And you took some gorgeous photos!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beauty! We live on a greenbelt that runs along a line of huge powertowers, and we have redtail hawks nesting in the reinforcing bars of those towers. I don't know how they manage to build there, but they do. And you're right about their silence -- I hate it that they're predators, but I can't help admiring how good at it they are, y'know?

Thanks for sharing your photos! I'd love to see your hummingbirds, too!

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

The male (full grown) at our barn was bright red on the head and tail with white. One male got killed - that's how we know the feathers. The female found another mate the next year.

I think females (in most raptors) are larger then the males. Size wise - he/she looks skinny and "young" IMO.
I'm glad to hear she found a new mate after that trajedy. I heard they mated for life

If that was a skinny one, I would hate to see a big one!

Originally Posted by gemlady

We had turkey in our yard the last sunday of August. Big ones and the little turkettes.
I bet they were too cute!
I would be scared of the big ones though. They are huge!

Originally Posted by lnbandcats

Here in New England, you can often see the hawks perched atop poles by the highways. They follow the big mowing tractors as they mow the grass and then grab the mice, etc that the mowers scare up!
And you took some gorgeous photos!
Free rodent control

I would love to see them circling the tractors! I could watch that for hours

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

What a beauty! We live on a greenbelt that runs along a line of huge powertowers, and we have redtail hawks nesting in the reinforcing bars of those towers. I don't know how they manage to build there, but they do. And you're right about their silence -- I hate it that they're predators, but I can't help admiring how good at it they are, y'know?

Thanks for sharing your photos! I'd love to see your hummingbirds, too!
Cool! I wonder where this one nests? Probably a big tree or something-plenty of big old oaks around. YES! I love all my birdies, so I hate it when one gets nailed- but at the same time, you can't help but admire their skills

Hummers? (
) http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=140713

princess-pickle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow! He's handsome! (is he a he?)
Wish there were birds like him here! Well done on getting some pics!

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I'm not sure if it is M/F ?
From the wonderful words of our tcs-ers
it is a young one or a male

I'm sure you have some raptors
where are you at?