TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › females...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

females...

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I have 2 female cats, one, Candycorn is 6, and Izzy is 11 months. i brought Izzy into my home as a kitten, and both cats hate each other. They have gotten better, but they used to hiss at each other all the time. Usually Izzy is the one who picks fights, Candy will walk by and Izzy will swat at her.

I also have another kitty, Bender, He and Izzy get along great. But Candycorn doesnt really like them. I feel really bad for Candy, because she doesnt get to be social with the other two.

If you have any advice as to how to help them get along, or insight as to why they do not get along, i would appreciate it. thanks!




post #2 of 10
I have two females also, and I always thought one of them was going to be dead someday!

Time will help. Talking to the instigator will help. Time-outs will help.

My cats don't fight or hiss or growl anymore, they each have their own room, they will not go into the other's room, although Cassy will sneak into Mittens room only when she is hungry, she uses it as an excuse to do so.

BTW, your pics are beautiful!
post #3 of 10
I had a similar problem, and eventually I ended up having to seperate the females by rehoming one. One went to my mother (the cat liked her more than me anyways), and the other still resides with me.

When I say they hated eat other I mean, the HATED each other. It started when Mooque was a kitten, and it never got better, it only got worse (yes they were properly introduced). I tried seperating them within the house, feeding them in different places. Nothing worked. Schmutz would beat poor little Mooque, while Schmutz cuddled, mothered and over all babied her brother. Schmutz loves Mister, but hates his sister.

Now that they live apart, and only see each other twice a year (I bring them with me for holidays at my parents house, I can't bear to leave them for more than 3 days without supervision!), they still fight. It's not as bad, I don't hear the blood curdling cries, nor often is their blood drawn. It also takes about 3 days for the real fights to get going, otherwise it's just that they avoid each other. Now though, Mooque is an adult, and is more the agressor.

Schmutz is actually happier now than she's ever been. She is so happy and satisfied being the only cat. Some cats just are better being only cats. We think she thinks she's actually a dog, cos she hangs out with the dogs and acts like them!

My little female can't be near another female, at the vet's they have to cage her with her brother and they can only be next to another male. Some females just hate other females. We've never successfully had a household with more than one at a time. We had 5 neutered boys, one tom and one spayed female, with no problems. But 2 girls? they always try to kill each other!

I do know of people with multiple female cat households with no problems. I think it's an individual cat thing.

I wish I had a better suggestion than this: if it doesn't get better, consider rehoming the less social of the cats. If you have a friend or family member that is familiar with the cat, even better. I am rarely an advocate of rehoming, but sometimes it's better for everyone mentally.
post #4 of 10
First are all the cats neutered and spayed? If not, get them done cause it will help a lot of things.

Many females are picky about who comes in the house and have a harder/longer time of accepting newcomers - especially if another female. Males (neutered) love everyone and don't really care as much.

So its not surprising your older female hates the younger female and the male likes her

I'd try:

1. Sprinkling all cats with cornstarch baby powder and rub it in to smell the same.

2. Put a dab of vanilla extract on their noses and butts.

3. Wash everyone in the same shampoo.

That's why I would rather have males cats vs. female. Ling's 2 yrs old, Charlie is 1 yr old now. We got him when he was 4 months old and Ling still doesn't totally accept him. When we get another Ocicat, it will be a baby brother for Charlie
post #5 of 10
I never had a female cat before Lucy (only males) and she is much closer to me than the two males I now have, however, she only wants affection on her terms and gets cranky if I try to pet her on my own.
She has no qualms about asserting herself with Moose and Rocky and things have been testy at times, but after 4 years, they've learned to tolerate each other. The dynamics are very interesting and frustrating!
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
Males (neutered) love everyone and don't really care as much.
That certainly has not been my experience. Between myself and 2 friends we have 5 females and 6 males all of whom were altered as kittens. When it comes to integrating newcomers it is the males who are the problem for all of us.
post #7 of 10
My mum has a male and female, the male being the female's son. She HATES him; they're 12 and 13 now and she has never been happy about his presence since he was weaned. She swats him with her paw every time he walks past her but he is so chilled out that he doesn't bat an eyelid. I think the only reason there has never been a full blown fight is that she knows he'd pulverise her!!

I've had both male and female and females are definitely a lot more cranky. My mum's cats have learned to live side by side for years so maybe things will settle down if you follow everyone's tips.
post #8 of 10
Normally in the social group, the mother will chase the offspring away and they stay away (especially the males). When you force them to continue living with their kittens, even if neutered, they sometimes resent it.

There are exceptions with males and females, but in general the males don't care who is hanging around and the females do care who's hanging around.
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catnip View Post
My mum has a male and female, the male being the female's son. She HATES him;
That is too funny to me. My BabyCat (who still lives with my ex-husband because she's madly in love with him, along with her son) adores her son. I brought her home hugely pregnant, found homes for two of the three kittens who survived, and kept the little psycho baby boy (I much preferred the silly little tortie girl who, to this day, still insists on going for car rides on her adopters' shoulders whenever she can). Remy (the son we kept) is the most inept adult cat I've ever seen. I don't think I ever saw him make any attempt to bathe himself. Why should he? Mom/BabyCat always bathed him. He is so bonded with his mom that he's really more her pet than ours. The BabyCat is also incredibly bonded to him. He got a horrible blockage and spent almost two weeks in the vet hospital shortly after I left my ex (he was a cat-hater when I met him, so I was very impressed that he was willing to deal with poor Remy's problem, so I was almost okay with letting my cats stay with him), and she cried for him the entire time.

However, in my experience, female cats have been the least tolerant of new cats in a household.
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydrae View Post
I had a similar problem, and eventually I ended up having to seperate the females by rehoming one. One went to my mother (the cat liked her more than me anyways), and the other still resides with me.

When I say they hated eat other I mean, the HATED each other. It started when Mooque was a kitten, and it never got better, it only got worse (yes they were properly introduced). I tried seperating them within the house, feeding them in different places. Nothing worked. Schmutz would beat poor little Mooque, while Schmutz cuddled, mothered and over all babied her brother. Schmutz loves Mister, but hates his sister.

Now that they live apart, and only see each other twice a year (I bring them with me for holidays at my parents house, I can't bear to leave them for more than 3 days without supervision!), they still fight. It's not as bad, I don't hear the blood curdling cries, nor often is their blood drawn. It also takes about 3 days for the real fights to get going, otherwise it's just that they avoid each other. Now though, Mooque is an adult, and is more the agressor.

Schmutz is actually happier now than she's ever been. She is so happy and satisfied being the only cat. Some cats just are better being only cats. We think she thinks she's actually a dog, cos she hangs out with the dogs and acts like them!

My little female can't be near another female, at the vet's they have to cage her with her brother and they can only be next to another male. Some females just hate other females. We've never successfully had a household with more than one at a time. We had 5 neutered boys, one tom and one spayed female, with no problems. But 2 girls? they always try to kill each other!

I do know of people with multiple female cat households with no problems. I think it's an individual cat thing.

I wish I had a better suggestion than this: if it doesn't get better, consider rehoming the less social of the cats. If you have a friend or family member that is familiar with the cat, even better. I am rarely an advocate of rehoming, but sometimes it's better for everyone mentally.
yeah it definatly has to me an individual cat thing...

my mom has 5 cats and they pretty much all get along..


also in reply to a different post, they are all neutered and spayed, but i hope they willl end up getting along better..

i think bender (male) is secretly in love with Izzy, she teaches him everything, they are pretty funny
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › females...