Food / Weight Question.

myndnbabies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi one of my boys had surgery on his ear Tuesday. He did not do to well and has lost weight from it. I am needing to know a wet food that is high in fat to get weight back on him. There regular food is Authority dry free feed but he can only eat a little of that because it hurts his ear to chew. There regular wet is fancy feast. Since Tuesday he has been getting the fancy feast twice a day. He went back to the vet yesterday because his ear is so swollen The reason they gave me for it being so swollen it because they had to go in so deep to get the polyp out, and I ask him about him loseing the weight and the vet was not conserend about it but I am. Does anyone know what I can do to get weight back on him. He is a Sphynx so you can see where he has lost weight on a cat with hair it would not look as bad. He has been fighting a ear infection for two months before they saw the polyp. Thanks for any suggestions.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
try kitten foods ...

multiple the fat % by four on wet to get the dry matter%

look for at least 7 %

fenleebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, the quick way never comes out accurately for me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but look:

For example in a canned food with moisture of 78% and 7% fat...

If you took the 7% and multiplied that by 4 you would get 28% fat.

But...if you did it the other way..

Fat = 7 divided by 22 = 31.8% fat

Pretty significant...What's the deal?? I HATE math and this has always annoyed me. I'm going to be loving this new calculator. LOL

fenleebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, thought about this for a second. The only way the quick way would be accurate is if the food was 75% moisture. So, quick way is inaccurate. Phewww...I'm not crazy.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
it is what I call a ball park ... My old vet taught it ... the food was 76% moisture..
.. many food s are 78%

fenleebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

it is what I call a ball park ... My old vet taught it ... the food was 76% moisture..
.. many food s are 78%
Yeah, I got out a real calculator, and then verified on that nifty online calculator too, it only works if it's 75% and the higher the moisture content, the more inaccurate it gets. Most foods I buy are 78% so it's fairly off. It would be REALLY off for pouch style foods or others with a lot of moisture.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fenleebe

Found a calculator too, of course you can't take this one with you to the stores, but thought it was cool, nonethelesss.

http://www.petdiets.com/calculate/compare.asp
Wow- I really like that. I've been using the Pet Center method when I get serious about calculations. For the math impaired like me the calculator is much easier.
Thanks for the link.