Difference in UK and US Cat Life expectancies

katteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since joining yesterday and reading through the forums, I've noticed people talking about cats life expectancy and it seems to me like there's a difference from UK/America?

I saw someone say that the average life expectancy for an outdoor/indoor cat was 2 and a half years which sounded bizarre to me, everyone I know who has outdoor/indoor cats here have cats older than about 10 years old.

Yes I understand the dangers with roads etc, and fighting, which has a huge impact on those figures. Our cat Thomas survived until he was 15 when he sadly got Cancer, and he was an indoors/outdoors cat for all of his life.
Though saying that, he used up most of his 9 lifes! He caught feline leukemia when he was about 8, but he completely recovered from being on deaths door and ended up testing negative for it about a year later so he'd made a full recovery. He was also hit by a car at one point but thankfully my Mum and I were at the scene when it happened so we were able to get him to the vets instantly and he pulled through with a 100% recovery, maybe he was just a very plucky cat?!

When we got our kittens we planned on the basis that these kittens will be around with us for 15 or so years.
(touch wood, fingers crossed etc!!) So it seems strange seeing people talking about life expectancy in much lower terms. Is there a known difference between the US/UK? Are there more diseases or anything like that?

stripeytiger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi

This is my first post. Thats an interesting question. I can only say from personal experience, I live in the UK and our cats were 18 and 16 when they died. They both had open access to a cat flap to get outdoors. I think that cars are probably the biggest danger to cats. When Sophie was a young cat she was hit by a car and broke her pelvis, but luckily she was young enough to mend.

Disease wise, we don't have rabies in the UK, which I guess is an issue in the States for cats that can go outdoors?

mermaid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in the US and have two indoor-outdoor cats. I had a cat that went outdoors and he lived until he was 16.
I am often judged and lectured about letting my cats outside. I have had people tell me that my cats will die if I continue to do so, even though they know nothing of my circumstances. I feel that my cats are happier being allowed to go outdoors. I am not judging anyone else for keeping their cats inside, so I get really upset when people judge me for letting mine out.

Rabies does exist in the US, but this is not a worry with cats that are regularly vaccinated. It's not exactly a widespread problem, a handful of cases in wildlife occur in certain regions each year.

We do have more tick-borne diseases here, I believe, and one in the SE United States that is particularly deadly for cats.

I have not seen any real statistics on the longevity of cats here or anywhere else in the world.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO I think the statistics are wrong on outside cats. I know many that are a lot older and live outside (barn cats). Maybe its due to cats living in the big cities who may only survive a few years out on the streets.

Would probably be a lot more accurate if you compare the outside cats lives of city vs suburbs vs country!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard anyone claim an average life expectancy of only 2 years for indoor/outdoor cats. Most often what I hear is the claim of an average life expectancy of 5 years for an outdoor only cat.

Indoor only advocates frequently abuse the 5 year statistic to boost their claim that cats should only be kept indoors but they leave out the part about that statistic referring to cats that are left to fend totally for themselves (ferals).

You have to be very careful to consider the source when it comes to the indoor/outdoor issue. People will freely spout statistics that have no basis in fact.

I've have never heard any credible statistics comparing the life expectancy of indoor/outdoor cats and indoor only cats.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Many places here in the US also have predators. My MIL lost one cat to a coyote or fox. I prefer to keep mine indoors so they don't bother the neighbors, attempt to cross busy roads, or just disappear without a trace. This is what happened to the first cat who adopted me. She was a stray who started living with us. After I moved closer to my job, I left her with my ex-bf because she was used to the area. Soon after she disappeared and he never saw her again.

mechanicalman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Outdoor cats are pests. In addition to not getting hit by cars, attacked by other animals, etc., my indoor cat isn't killing off wildlife.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My husband is one of those folks that feel cats are only happy if they are allowed to go outside. We've had many "issues" with this over the past 4 years with him allowing Bijou to go outside. He often tells me I worry too much and that Bijou is quite capable of looking after himself.

Well, Bijou hasn't been home for 2 days now and I honestly believe he has been taken by a coyote.
Bijou always came when he was called and has now been missing for 2 days. My heart is breaking. I can tell you this - if he had not been allowed outside by my husband he wouldn't be missing today!

So if I fail to support those of you who advocate for indoor/outdoor cats, it's because I don't think cats need to be put into possible dangerous situations by us humans.

ladydrae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think those figures depend on where you are. City cats, have a much much shorter life expectancy if they are outdoors. The barn I ride at has cats and they live in the barn but go in and out as they please. As a whole their average life span is short, many don't make it past their first year (hit by cars, get sick, stepped on my a horse, falls, some don't even make it past a few hours, etc), but those who do seem to live forever! So I think that the 2.5 year figure is taking into account that they have a high infant mortality rate as well as a high death rate before age 1.

We actually had 2 neighborhood Toms who were healthy and active for well over 12 years! Everyone knew them, we even had named them Ratty-Tatty and Three!

When our cats were indoor/outdoor cats we only lost one to a car, and the rest with the exception of one who had a brain aneyrism, made it to 18 years or older (our older was 21!). Our indoor only cats seem to have a shorter life span, although one of ours is already 12 and is in perfect heath, although she is a bit tubby! We stopped letting ours out without supervision or being on leashes after one of our friends who lived in the same neighborhood had 3 cats hit by cars in 2 weeks! So ours do still go out, the 12 year old likes to lay on the porch and eat grass, and my two like to go out in their harnesses to take dirt baths and eat grass (and smell the squirrel and chipmunk feet!).

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

My husband is one of those folks that feel cats are only happy if they are allowed to go outside. We've had many "issues" with this over the past 4 years with him allowing Bijou to go outside. He often tells me I worry too much and that Bijou is quite capable of looking after himself.

Well, Bijou hasn't been home for 2 days now and I honestly believe he has been taken by a coyote.
Bijou always came when he was called and has now been missing for 2 days. My heart is breaking. I can tell you this - if he had not been allowed outside by my husband he wouldn't be missing today!

So if I fail to support those of you who advocate for indoor/outdoor cats, it's because I don't think cats need to be put into possible dangerous situations by us humans.
I'm so sorry to hear about Bijou! I hope your beautiful baby shows up soon. I've heard of cases where they can reappear even weeks later.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mermaid

We do have more tick-borne diseases here, I believe, and one in the SE United States that is particularly deadly for cats.
Its called cytauxzoonosis and yes, its at least 95% fatal (with treatment). I lost my Alley to it almost 9 months ago.

I really don't think there would be much difference in US or UK outdoor cats. The face pretty much the same risks.

I know I will never let another cat outside. I learned my lesson the hard way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about all your losses
I know it's a bit of a sensitive subject and I'm not questioning people's views on this I was mearly interested in peoples opinions.

I can understand why people would keep their cats in, but I do get the impression that there seem to be more dangers in the US than there are in the UK.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katteh

I can understand why people would keep their cats in, but I do get the impression that there seem to be more dangers in the US than there are in the UK.
I really don't think that is true. The major dangers to outdoor cats in the US in order are: cars, other animals and sadistic people. All of those are present in equal measue in the UK. There are ceratainly some areas in both the US and UK where one danger or the other is less prevalent.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Yosimite, I'm so sorry to hear that - I hope he comes back safe soon - what does your husband think/say about the fact he's missing?

fenleebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I lived in the city I saw at least 1 cat a week in my neighborhood hit by a car. It was horrifying to be an animal lover and watch this day in and day out.

The neighbors next to me now (in the burbs) have/(had) two outdoor cats, I had the unpleasant experience of having to break the news that one block over their cat had been hit and killed by a car 3 days ago. As I was telling them the news they told me he was the 2nd cat they had in 2 years get hit by a car and he himself was only 2 years and 3 months old. As they were leaving to get into their car to go claim their poor kitty, they let their second cat walk right out the front door right in front of me. Um, hello.....???

I don't believe in leaving cats outdoors unless it's a cat you adopted, or one that adopted you rather. There are many people that take in kitties from outside and that will never be happy indoors only. However, when bringing in a new cat that has never lived outside, it is indoors only, in my opinion. Cars, disease, parasites, wild animals, fighting, sick people, etc...too many risks - the odds are HIGHLY stacked against them. I think the statistics are probably right on. I have heard more of 3-5 years, rather than 2.

I'm sure many of you have cats that are savvy enough and have decent enough instincts to get by out there, but there are SOOOO many that you may not know about that barely get by for the short lives they do last outside.

I am in the USA, can't speak for the UK.

mechanicalman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katteh

It can't be healthy for cats to go out in an area where they could be exposed to high levels of Oasis and Blur.

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yosemite I'm really sorry to hear that but maybe don't give up hope yet; I remember years ago one of our cats went missing for a week. I was beside myself and searched the streets but she eventually came back thin but in one piece. I think she might have got locked in a shed or something.

Regarding this debate, my mother gives out to me loads because I keep Harry indoors for the most part. I think in rural areas it's safe to allow cats outdoors but in the urban area I'm in I'd be terrified of him getting knocked down by a car or attacked by a dog.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about Bijou.
I hope he comes home soon.

I don't advocate for the indoor/outdoor life. I have let my cats out on a leash and harness when we rented a place that had a quiet backyard. But they have never been allowed outside unsupervised.

My reasons: One of the cats I grew up with disappeared at age 13. He was indoor/outdoor and beginning CRF when he disappeared. Mom & Dad think it was coyotes. My sister and I think it may have been an angry neighbor. Katt was not the brightest crayon in the box and would walk up to everyone 'cause he loved everyone.

I spent my entire childhood wondering if the family cat (we had a few over the years) would come home in the morning. I vowed I wouldn't have that feeling as an adult with my own cats. And they are very happy living indoors. We have interactive wand toys, forts, and other toys to keep them sharp. They have a fish tank to watch when it rains. They live a very good life, without the dangers of the outdoors or killing wildlife. My sister has done the same--her cats are also strictly indoors.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Oh Yosimite, I'm so sorry to hear that - I hope he comes back safe soon - what does your husband think/say about the fact he's missing?
My husband is hurting as much as I am. Bijou had a special bond with my hubby. John and I both sat at the table on the deck last night sobbing. We honestly don't hold out much hope of him coming back since Bijou always came when we called. We think he went into the corn field behind our neighbour's house and a coyote got him. Bijou loved being home and would go out but come in several times during the evening just for a bit of love and then out he would go again. For him not to come home can only be because he CANNOT come home. We are heartbroken. John has apologized to me for not listening when I asked him repeatedly not to let Bijou be outside. I told him that we would not get another cat if he did not promise me he wouldn't let it outside.

Poor little Mika knows something is amiss. She seems lost without her buddy Bijou. She was following me around last evening and trying to "talk" to me. When I picked her up she nestled right in.

fenleebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

My husband is hurting as much as I am. Bijou had a special bond with my hubby. John and I both sat at the table on the deck last night sobbing. We honestly don't hold out much hope of him coming back since Bijou always came when we called. We think he went into the corn field behind our neighbour's house and a coyote got him. Bijou loved being home and would go out but come in several times during the evening just for a bit of love and then out he would go again. For him not to come home can only be because he CANNOT come home. We are heartbroken. John has apologized to me for not listening when I asked him repeatedly not to let Bijou be outside. I told him that we would not get another cat if he did not promise me he wouldn't let it outside.

Poor little Mika knows something is amiss. She seems lost without her buddy Bijou. She was following me around last evening and trying to "talk" to me. When I picked her up she nestled right in.
I am soooo sorry. I can only imagine how you both must feel right now. I'm hoping he somehow still makes it home!