Five Weeks Update

mishirish

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't been around as much as the kittens have been keeping me very busy. =) They're five weeks old today and very active!

They're all a few ounces above 1lb now.

Maggie:

But they still seem so little compared to ordinary things.

Cindy:

Some of them have started using the litter box, and even eating mom's dry food.

Caesar:

But of course they're still nursing.

I've been clipping their nails but they're still pretty sharp. Luckily, they've caught on to the scratching post.

Flower, with Maggie below:

They like to investigate and bat at EVERYTHING.

Maggie with mouse hanging from my dresser:

Flower with mouse:

Caesar with Patience's tail:

China will usually crawl into my lap right away. Of course, she uses it as a place for an ambush.

China and Captain:

And after a long session of play, they start to get very sleepy. Some of them have found a way to get inside the bed.

Caesar:

While others make their own bed.

Captain:

Of course, they would choose to sleep around the basket I prepared for them, instead of inside it. =p

China, Cindy, and Flower:

fenleebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww. They are gorgeous. I am so envious. I have a litter of 5 that are just about 6 weeks today and they are still a few ounces UNDER a lb -except for 1 that has always been bigger.
Yours look much bigger and healthier than mine. I guess that's the difference between orphans and momma raised kittens though.

Great pics, super, super cute!!

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fenleebe

Awww. They are gorgeous. I am so envious. I have a litter of 5 that are just about 6 weeks today and they are still a few ounces UNDER a lb -except for 1 that has always been bigger.
Yours look much bigger and healthier than mine. I guess that's the difference between orphans and momma raised kittens though.
I think you're right because at the rate my orphans are going they won't be big enough to be spayed until they're about 10 weeks old! Yikes! lol

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are some of the cutiest babies I've ever seen! They are all so beautifully colored

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mishirish

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AMYSCRAZY

Those are some of the cutiest babies I've ever seen! They are all so beautifully colored
I know I'm totally biased, but I love their coloring as well. I think China and Cindy have the coolest markings ever. The only problem though is that they ALL have white feet, so when I clip their nails (all 108 of them) I sometimes have trouble telling which paws I've done until I can grab hold of it again. It would be easier if they wouldn't fight me so much. ^^

As for their weights, I actually don't know what the average weight gain should be for kittens, I just keep track of it for their records. I weighed them on a gram scale for the first couple weeks and they were gaining about 100g a week, but then they got too big to sit still on it so I switched to the pound scale last week, and they've gained a couple ounces. They also fluctuate, Caesar was one of the bigger ones when he was born, but he was the smallest last week, and Flower has overtaken Captain for being the biggest. But as long as they're all gaining at all, I'm happy! I'm used to chinchillas where the runt pretty much stays the runt and the big baby grows up to be a big adult, but of course these kittens are already the same size as my largest chinchillas. =p =)

fenleebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was told average weight gain, ball park, is about a pound per month. We're no where close to that. Mine would gain, lose, gain, lose, hold steady, lose and finally are now slowly, but steadily gaining.

Those kittens are sooo cute. You may be biased, but you're also right, they are just adorable!! Good luck with them.