Got a new (old) cast iron skillet today

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Years back I had a set of cast iron skillets and a dutch oven. But back then I did not know how to take care of them. And when they looked bad I did not know how to refinish and re-season them. So now I am slowly building a collection back up for use. Well today I picked up a 10in cast iron skillet. There was no markings on it so I could not tell who made it or how old it is. There was no made by whatever on the back. So assume old. All it said was 10in skillet on the bottom. Plus it has a wooden handle. It was in bad bad shape. Lots of rust in the inside of it. Took it home and sanded it down all the way till it looked like silver metal. Washed it and now I am seasoning it.

I have a smaller one on lay-a-way that I will pick up Monday. Its a smaller dutch oven. This one is in tip top shape. Who ever had that one took great care of it before it made it to the shop.

She has several more that I might get over time. But she has a rare one that I do want. Its another 10in skillet. But on the bottom there is a engraved bass on it with waves. And in excellent condtion.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NEAT! I'm a fan of cast-iron cookware, having inherited a couple of excellent skillets from my grandmother, who was a wonderful cook. Good luck in finding that piece you're pining for!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have I think two cast iron fry pans I bought at auctions-dont use them much though.
A couple of yrs ago I bought a square one wth the ridges-haven't used that one for a while either!! That one is by Lodge which I believe is the only cast iron mfg in the US.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

But she has a rare one that I do want. Its another 10in skillet. But on the bottom there is a engraved bass on it with waves. And in excellent condtion.
That sounds vaguely familiar. I'm trying to think back to all the years of washing dishes at home... I swear my parents had a skillet with that on the bottom.

I too prefer cast iron. It's tough and much better at regulating heat then any light weight teflon coated cookware.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooohoh, i love love love cast iron skillets! My mom uses them back home & I had one once, but John put it in the dishwasher & it died

When we get our new place, I'm defiantely going to get another one!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ Sand the rust off and reseason it. I don't believe you can actually destroy cast iron unless you find some way to break it.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

^ Sand the rust off and reseason it. I don't believe you can actually destroy cast iron unless you find some way to break it.
Um, it broke too
It was REALLY rusty and awful, my mom even said there was no saving that one!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Um, it broke too
It was REALLY rusty and awful, my mom even said there was no saving that one!
This one I got was real rusty. I put a sander bit in the drill and sanded it down until all black and rust was gone. Then you just re-season it. A cast iron skillet/pan/griddle will break if it gets to hot which seems to be what happened in your case.

I am looking online for a picture of the one I wanna go back and get. I may put it on lay a way when I get the other out.

Gail I just saw a list of the manufactures here in the states I believe. Griswald, Wagner and Lodge are the ones I have heard of.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 4 cast iron skillet from my grandma, and DH had a 6" one (perfect for eggs). I wish I could have had my mom's. She had a square one, which are very hard to find! But, a few years before she died, they had a fire in the basement and couldn't live it in for 4 weeks. Luckily, their insurance was good, and they paid for a hotel and house cleaning while the wire and water got redone. Anyway, we still had to clean when they moved back in, and going through the dishes we realized her skillet was missing. (It wasn't the only thing missing, but it was important to her). We figured one of the cleaning women took it home with her. Mom called the cleaning place, and they called back saying some men did help with the clean up, and one of them figured it was in the fire and ruined since it was so black, so he threw it away!!
(I still bet his wife is enjoying it now!)

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am over at ebay looking for pictures of the one I just got and the 2 others I am going to get. There are several of the square ones listed up for sale.

At some point I plan on getting a cast iron griddle.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They have all kinds. But not any like the one I have. I'll snap a picture in a moment and post it.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok here are the pictures of the one I got.

As you can tell the cooking surface has been sanded and I have started the process of seasoning it. Because it has a wooden handle I can not put it in the oven to season it. I started today by just putting it on the cooktop with the heat on medium high. Tomorrow I will get the grill going and put it on there for a few hours. You just leave the handle hanging out when you close the lid.

The inside:

The bottom:

see no markings to say who made this one. I may email this one to a few collectors and see if I can't get an age estimate and maker for this one.

jenc511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love cast iron, so I can certainly appreciate your excitement over your new find! Nothing cooks like cast iron. In the apartment, with nowhere to grill outside, my cast iron grill pan has been a lifesaver (for steaks), and I just don't think anything sears like cast iron. I also love my dutch oven for just about everything - chili, roasts, stews, etc.

My mom hated cast iron, so I didn't get to use it until I grew up and moved out. I am so jealous of everyone who has their grandmother's cast iron skillet, etc. My mom wouldn't even think of using cast iron - it would mess up her flat, electric cooktop (I know some people love them, but I can't think of anything I'd hate more in my kitchen).

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid, my mom had a cast iron baking mold for cornbread in the shape of little ears of corn... it gave the cornbread such a nice crisp crust! Oh, I miss those little cornbreads...