Long haired cats

laine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My calico, Candycorn has a lot of hair, and she gets knots in it frequently..

i try to brush her when i can, but she hates it.

any tips on how to prevent knots in her fur???

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Using a brush doesn't do much on knots/tangles in a longhair - you have to use medium and fine toothed combs. And establish a grooming routine several times a week. Comb a little at a time and rewards with some treats.

Set up a table the is sturdy so she won't get scared of falling.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Using a brush doesn't do much on knots/tangles in a longhair - you have to use medium and fine toothed combs. And establish a grooming routine several times a week. Comb a little at a time and rewards with some treats.

Set up a table the is sturdy so she won't get scared of falling.
Thanks, yeah she is the definition of scardy cat, she does not like anyone except me. she doesnt let anyone come near her. but i will seclude her and find a way to comb her. i usually just cut her knots out. she hates it though.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Candycorn has a sweet little face! Using the comb, start at the ends of the hair and work your way in. If you hit a tough spot with a mat then just pick at it a little bit (gently) with the end of the comb. Regular grooming fairly often is necessary to avoid those knots!

manicveg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have the same dilemma, tis hard to persevere when the cat is whining and whinging and wanting to get away, our ghandi is a long haired tabby and always has and always will I expect hate being brushed, he got a nit combe which ghandi doesnt mind as much, but to get the knots out.. I use the nit comb on the top of his head, he loves it and whilst i am distrating him, the mrs cuts the knots with scissors, I really wish Ghandi would take to grooming but some cats just dont.. what makes it worse is that ghandi likes to go out, it could be tipping it down and he would still go out, he has a facination with water, running taps, toilet flushing.. far easier to apply a frontline spot to him than it is our other cat dylan, who for some wierd reason KNOWS exactly when we want to spot him.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If matted too bad you can either buy a mat splitter (special comb) or take to a groomer and shaved down and then as the fur grows out, start your grooming routine and do it on a regular basis. Some LH need daily combing to prevent mats, other need 2-3 times a week.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

If matted too bad you can either buy a mat splitter (special comb) or take to a groomer and shaved down and then as the fur grows out, start your grooming routine and do it on a regular basis. Some LH need daily combing to prevent mats, other need 2-3 times a week.

People with long haired cats generally have to be very dilligent and committed to keeping up with their cat's coat. Many don't like it but they'd like it less if they had a body full of tight mats against their skin pulling at them all the time! Sometimes we have to do what's best for them even if they don't like it! It's the same as with our childre!