Wet food discovery

maree

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have read a book and now some info at online sites that say dry food is very bad for cats. There is not enough water in them and they are made up of carbs which cats do not need because they are carnivores. The book, written by a vet went so far as to say cats should be fed raw meat. Both sources blamed dry food for many diseases that eventually kill cats when they are older. Also dry foods are coated with a substance that actually makes the cat become addicted to it.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you do a search on dry versus wet food on this forum, you'll also discover that most of us here at TCS already acknowledge all of the above.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes wet is best ... I would not go as far to say a dry food cat is going to die ... As I know many many who have seen there late teens and ate only dry

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Isn't dry food good for their teeth though? I thought it would scrape plaque from their teeth.

mechanicalman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by peeps

Isn't dry food good for their teeth though?
I believe that's basically a myth. Even if there is some truth to it, a cat wouldn't need to eat dry food exclusively or predominately to receive whatever benefit there might be from eating some dry food... or at least that is my impression.

Nevertheless, my cat is on dry, and I don't intend to switch to wet. I'm currently transitioning her from Iams (food from previous owners) to Evo. I'll probably try giving her some wet food as an occasional treat if she'll eat it, but it won't be her regular diet.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan

I believe that's basically a myth. Even if there is some truth to it, a cat wouldn't need to eat dry food exclusively or predominately to receive whatever benefit there might be from eating some dry food... or at least that is my impression.

Nevertheless, my cat is on dry, and I don't intend to switch to wet. I'm currently transitioning her from Iams (food from previous owners) to Evo. I'll probably try giving her some wet food as an occasional treat if she'll eat it, but it won't be her regular diet.
with a no grain high mineral dry I strongly urge you to give wet regularly

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just curious why you only plan to give wet as a treat. Ours get wet 2 times a day with dry in between. For us its a happy medium.

mechanicalman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

Just curious why you only plan to give wet as a treat. Ours get wet 2 times a day with dry in between. For us its a happy medium.
I'm not interested in the expense or inconvenience of feeding her wet food.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO its beneficial to use both wet and dry (and raw if you choose). I've had many cats live to mid or later teens and they ate wet and dry. As long as its not cheap dry but quality dry, its not wrong to feed it.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm not interested in the expense or inconvenience of feeding her wet food.
Does that mean you feed her a cheap dry food? If so, poor kitty.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Does that mean you feed her a cheap dry food? If so, poor kitty.
that poster is transitioning to EVO ... so not a cheap dry but it should have wet IMHO ...

4meezers3kids

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am in the process of transitioning ALL FOUR of mine from SOME dry to NONE.

I now am trying to transition my SEVENTH IBD cat from prescription wet food with grain to NO GRAIN wet.

My Vet told me the same about teeth -- forget the teeth, protect the bowels!

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Expensive I could see. But I don't get the inconvince part. Even with 2 feedings of wet it takes me less than 5 minutes total to get the can, get 2 plates and a spoon, pop top, put in bowl mash it up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maree

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Where can I buy raw in a can? If I can.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you can get raw in a can. But you can go to your super market or butcher shop and get raw. I mean raw is just raw meat. The others here that feed it can give you suggestions on what types to get. I give once a month treats of beef chunks. The cats love them.

mechanicalman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll wager that my cat on a diet of dry food will outlive many of the cats whose owners on this forum allow them to go outdoors. And I bet most of the people here who lecture about using wet food are also raping the Earth by using clay litter. So I guess we all have our own opinions and priorities.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MechanicalMan I am not trying to be mean just trying to understand thats all. I just don't see how wet food is an inconvenience. It just takes a couple minutes at most to put it out.

PS. For the last part of your post my cats are inside only and my husband agrees with me. Feline Pine and wood chips are still litter that takes from the earth. They are both made of wood. As for me I switched over to chick feed after reading posts from Sharky. Plus yes I feed wet and dry.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'll wager that my cat on a diet of dry food will outlive many of the cats whose owners on this forum allow them to go outdoors. And I bet most of the people here who lecture about using wet food are also raping the Earth by using clay litter. So I guess we all have our own opinions and priorities.
maybe but your s is likely to get kindey diesease sooner than a wet / dry feed cat
.. I have had many cats all indoor/ outdoor .. so far the youngest was a semi feral he was 13.. one say 19.5, one five weeks from 19, one 16 ( she was a farm cat)... note I dont live in the big city but a sub rural area
.. DO your RESEARCH ... I stopped using clay a few yrs ago good thing my semi feral is allergic but there are many HEALTH benifits for you and the cat to not use clay