Blood in Stools

katteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We noticed the other day that there was a small amount of red blood in one of our kittens stools, it was a very small amount and it was in a clear sort of mucus. The kittens have been wormed once but need their second amount.. they can't have them until next week though, so the woman who was fostering them before we got them said it's likely to be worms, but for the time being we can't really do anything about it and not to worry. (they will be wormed again next Wednesday) I just wanted some more opinions really. I just noticed some more just a minute ago when cleaning up one of the messes, and there was slightly more than what I've seen before.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd also like to note that they arrived here a week ago, and are fine in themselves, playing well, purring well, eating well and going to the loo once or twice a day.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I suggest taking a stool sample to the vet.

Have you changed foods recently?

(IMO, blood in stool doesn't mean worms)

katteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well we feed them 3 different foods, Whiskas, Iams and Felix, all kitten wet food, with dried food during the day whilst we're out. We vary the food during the day, they get about 2-3 pouches each and most of the time the pouches are different each mealtime. So in a way yes, we change the food regularily. How does food effect it? We only got them a week ago so they were on a different food at the Cats Protection.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The changes in food will cause diarrhea, bloody stools, big stink, etc. It is hard on their digestive tracts. I would pick one dry food & stick to that. Rotating wet foods is OK.

pippen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of the major downsides to feeding so many foods is that it would be very difficult to narrow down which food is causing which kitten a problem, if the food is contributing.

Were they used to so much variety or do you have another reason for starting them out like this?

katteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We only ever rotate the wet food, the dry food is the same all the time. Would it be worth trying to keep them on one brand of wet food for now to see if that helps?

There's no immediate danger though is there? I don't really want to have to get another appointment before Wednesday but obviously if it was necessary I would.

katteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The Cats protection feed them on whatever they are donated so it was varying quite a bit, so we decided to keep it varied to make sure they don't become fussy.

We're going to Tesco tonight to try and find some hilife kitten food for them. Would the higher meat content be richer for them and therefore make something like this worse? Or is that not the case at all?

I have only ever seen one poop that they've done which has actually been solid, and they're all very stinky.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
higher meat is likely richer but they will digest more of it ....

katteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will it help the stools become firmer? They're runny at the moment but not what I would call Diarroah (spelling, sorry), just not particularily firm.

Sorry about the lovely topic.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Blood and mucus in stool is colitis. However, there are several different types, with many causes. Acute colitis is a brief bout lasting only a few days -- and is commonly caused by worms (or worming), or by the cat eating spoiled food, toxic substances, a bad plant or something else. This type will usually go away after a few days. Basically, whatever it was has irritated the intestine.

Prolonged colitis is trickier and would take some work on the vet's part to figure out. Possible causes include viruses, salmonella or giardia, food allergy, or cancerous conditions. But in a kitten (particularly one who had worms) I doubt it would be something that serious.

Colitis is also characterized by the texture of stool you describe -- sort of weirdly soft and mucusy, but shaped almost like normal stool. The stool also tends to be softer at one end.

It's definitely worth going to a vet if the condition doesn't clear up after a few days.

Fiber can be very helpful in cases of colitis; it helps the stool move through and helps the intestine be healthier and heal. Try giving the kitten a spoonful of canned pumpkin (the kind without spices) once a day for three days. And definitely pick one kind of food and stick with it rather than changing things around; don't switch dry foods during this period, unless you suspect that a new dry food triggered the condition (in which case, switch back to whatever dry food they were eating before).

katteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have noticed the stool being harder at one end, and along with the other symptoms it does seem like that is a big possibility. Thanks a lot for giving me that information. They are only young and still aren't fully wormed so hopefully (purely because it seems the lesser of a few evils) they just have a little case of worms and when we get to the vets on Wednesday after their second lot of worming tablets they'll be better.

We went to Tesco tonight purely to look for a better quality food for them and there weren't any.. only whiskas etc, so we will have a look tomorrow in marks and spencers and if that fails it's going to have to wait until the weekend before we can get to Jollyes.

They haven't really had access to any spoiled food, toxic substances or bad plants, also haven't had access to anything obvious that I can think of which might cause it. They were kept in pens at the cats protection and there's nothing here for them to eat. As they're only young I'd expect it is more likely to be acute? (at least I hope that's the case)

I'll ask the vet about it anyway, and it reassures me to know that it does sound like something like worms as opposed to something more serious and something harder to treat.

Thanks again for the information, it has put my mind at ease a little.

katteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot to add this to the last post;
What could I use as an alternative of pumpkin? I'm in the UK and it's not quite so easy to find any form of pumpkin.
Quite happy to cook up something if it would help.

katteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm, all american and not available here!
I do a lot of cooking so you'd think I would be able to think of high fibre foods, but nope! Mind's blank.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katteh

Hmm, all american and not available here!
I do a lot of cooking so you'd think I would be able to think of high fibre foods, but nope! Mind's blank.
How about psyllium husk powder? It's found in health food stores here.

Would that be a good subsitute for pumpkin???

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe your vet could suggest an alternative that would be safe for a cat. There must be some fibrous tuber in the U.K.

My cat has chronic colitis, and takes a powdered fiber supplement for cats that is identical to human Metamucil (both are psyllium husks). To be safe, you should also ask a vet what would be the right amount for your kitten's size. Because it's pure fiber, you would certainly use less of that than you would pumpkin.

katteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you think I would be okay waiting until Wednesday to find out about this or is it something that should be done before that? I have no idea how serious colitis is, but I'm hoping that having their second lot of worming tablets will sort it out?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone more knowledgable may say otherwise but IMHO it doesn't sound like anything serious. As long as the only symptoms are a soft stool and a little blood...

katteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm a very neurotic owner and it hasn't worried me too much, as they are so well in themselves. They're eating well and charging around at every given opportunity, I think if they stopped doing those two then I'd be worried. Normally if there's any slight chance something might be serious I'm off down the vets panicing.