Why do people get cats only to give them up

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In our local paper we have a pet of the week thing and our no kill shelter has a declawed male cat up for adoption and in the description it says him and two of his sisters and his mother have been together their whole lives and they would like to be able to atleast place two together but either way they will be seperated from one another. And I just don't know why people don't know pets are a lifetime commitment. And they are all declawed so apparently the previous owner didn't put their needs first. I wish I could take all of them in but my dad won't even let me take one more cat in.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know, but the really sad fact is that when I tell people you are making a 20 year committment, sometimes they do not believe me, sometimes they are astounded.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate that! I hate when it happens to dogs, too or any animal for that matter.

We adopted out a cat about 2 weeks ago at the shelter where I volunteer anyways.. they brought her back yesterday because she kept pooping everywhere. 2 weeks isn't long enough and she never took the cat to the vet to see if there was an underlying medical issue. She never put her in a room that she could have to herself for a private place, either. they were very pushy to give her back, too when we were in the middle of doing an adoption.. we told them to hold on but they said they had to go to work.
oh well, she'll get a better home where people will work with her on her pooping issue. They probably won't get another cat from us if they're not willing to work with another cat if they have issues.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had one who was gone two days before the woman brought her back because she is not a lap cat... well we told she wasn't when you adopted her... and 2 days is not enough time to show any characteristics of what she will be like!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
People want furniture, not cats! While yes, they are cute sitting in your window, cats are a lot of work, too.

fiftyfour

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was actually one of those people who didn't fully understand what I was getting myself into.

A friend of mine's cat had a litter and I thought taking a little kitten would be so fun and cute. HOLY MOLY I couldn't believe what a little terror she was. I thought about giving her up SO many times but no one would take a cat so I knew evenutally she would end up in a shelter.

I stuck it out and I grew to love my temperamental tortie girl!

But for anyone who considers getting a pet, I warn them that they are not easy but I still encourage it because they are great companions

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Playing the devil's advocate here!! Dont' be mad!!

But I think alot of people don't understand the committment of an animal.. I know I didn't... and sometimes you get stuck into bad bad situations where you have no other choice but to part with your animals..

Like right now,, for instance,, i rent a place, and only rented the place because of having pets. So I adopted two cats, and now the landlord is saying no pets as of October 1st... Well I don't care.. I had them and I won't get rid of them.. So I'm hiding them until I can find a suitable place to live that will allow pets, and in this hobunk town that's really hard to do.. But I'm not giving up my cats.. I can't and won't.. There my babies...

I don't know sometimes people get into situation; death, divorce, liar landlords, issues with mortgage, job loss, these things have negative impacts and impact the home you live in and the home you can give a pet.. And alot of times there unforseen..

Sorry it's long..

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I don't know why, either, it's like their cats are some kind of property or decoration instead of family members.
Exactly!!!

Some people just simply get tired of them...
For whatever reason, they do.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had cats and other animals, all my life. Before getting our first bobcat, I did a lot of research to fully prepare myself. Even with all the research, there were times when I said, what did I get myself into
But, I never gave up on them and never will and for me, there is nothing that brings more happiness into my life. It seems like some people just don't care. They think pets are like other material items, that can be returned to the store if it doesn't work right, is broken or they just don't like it. But, people must be aware and educated to the fact that owning a pet is a life changing event. To be a responsible pet owner, people must be prepared and must understand that pets are not mere possessions, that can be discarded anytime they so choose. There are so many things that I have given up to live with the cats that I have, but I would have it no other way

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by angelkitty

I don't know sometimes people get into situation; death, divorce, liar landlords, issues with mortgage, job loss, these things have negative impacts and impact the home you live in and the home you can give a pet.. And alot of times there unforseen..
I agree and that is why shelters are there... BUT when people bring an animal back within days or weeks it is a different story

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that there are sometimes unforeseeable circumstances so it is not always the owners fault. I know a couple of people who had to give their pets away that were completely devastated by it. But these people just didn't simply ship them back to the shelter they actually took the time to find good homes for their animals.

However, it is an undeniable fact that there many more people who don't give it enough thought to or adopt on the spur of the moment and end up throwing that pet away. That is why I believe shelter must really be diligent in there screening processes, and check the information given to them.

I know the local shelter were I got both of my cats, check with my vet, as well as doing an extended interview with me. I got both of my cats within two days but I know several people who had to wait almost 10 days before they were allowed to take their cats home. Plenty of time to change their minds before it was to late.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i was glad when the guy in the office here gave up there cats,
they had 2, and wanted a bengal but no one around woudl sale them one.
SO they gave up the 2 they had. The bad news is now they have gotten a puppy. I feel so sorry for the new dog.

I told the guy way to go, teach the kid its ok to get rid of living things,
Keep that in mind when you are old and she sticks you in a old peoples home, cause you are to m uch trouble.