WOOT!!! Good BOY, Ferris!!!!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As some of you may know, trimming Ferris' claws is a near impossibility for me. He panics and yanks his paws away, and will sometimes try to bite me in his annoyance.

In May, when I had him shaved, the vet's office trimmed his claws for me. They were pretty long at the time, but not ridiculously so, as I had managed to get in and trim one or two here and there over time.

Since our move at the end of July I haven't had the ability to try to trim any claws - the apartment has been in too much chaos, with me trying to get unpacked with limited time availability, as I work full time.

So Ferris' claws were starting to get overgrown - this week, as he walked on our rugs, his front paws would get stuck at just about every other step he'd take. So I knew it was time to TRY.

Last night, when he came up for his scritches and to nap next to me (it's becoming habitual, this early evening nap) I started talking to him while giving him lovies.

I explained that he really needed to let me trim his claws for several reasons, and I outlined them: stuck/twisted/broken claw, bloody painful paw, or that they could grow into his tender little toe pads, and we don't want that. That trimming his claws is ONLY to help him, NOT to hurt him, and that it doesn't hurt to do it, it's just a little pressure is all.

I begged him to PLEASE let me trim them, and then I started with his right front paw. I clipped the two longest claws (which were starting to curl under) and then stopped and exclaimed over what a good boy he was letting me do that FOR him.

Then I asked him to let me continue, and he did - I clipped two more claws, this time on the other front paw. Many more scitches and exclaimations over him, then I stopped for a few minutes, but kept giving lovies.

Then I told him I needed to do some more, and asked him to please let me, as in his kneading the blanket next to me, I could hear his other claws catching. I told him this will prevent that from happening. Then I picked up his right front paw again, and finished the last three on that paw -
One paw DONE!!!

More scritches & lovies, and I was able to do his dew claw on his left front paw, and then he got annoyed and bit at me, which scared me so I jumped, which scared HIM, so HE jumped and ran away, and that was the end of that. He still has two more than need trimming, but this was a new record: 8 claws trimmed in one sitting!!!

Good boy, Ferris!!!!

Patience, love and communication. It works!!!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fantastic! Amazing what a little communication can do... not to mention love and scritches!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay!!

Abby doesn't like getting her nails trimmed either. I used to be able to do it while she slept but she caught on to that
So now I have to wait for when she is in a certain position on my comfy office chair and then lightly pin her to the chair with my upper body while I hold a paw and trim the nails. It usually takes me 2 days before I get both paws done because after one paw she knows something is up and carefully watches for me to make a move,

Chynna loves nail trimming. I give her a paw and toe massage. The whole 2 front paw nail trimming lasts about 45 minutes because she loves to get her toes massages after

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww what a good boy! Riley hates having his claws trimmed too, but I can usually get most of one paw done when he's sleeping, but then he wakes and bites, so I have to wait another day to do the other one, lol.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
That is wonderful news - maybe he understood that there is a benefit from having them trimmed.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow that's great Betsy! I'd fly you down here so you can convince Cypress to let you do his claws too, but paying the Vet is a bit cheaper..

But, way to go!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another example of how much cats understand what we say.

Trent hated being "brushed". Hated it. But I explained to him that I needed to "groom" him so he wouldn't get so many hairballs. He still doesn't like it, but as long as I say that I need to "groom" him instead of "brush" him, he'll put up with it.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol good job,

Eazy nibbles on my hand, and crys how i do his,
he does not bite hard which is a good thing.

noludoru

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That sort of thing has worked for me, too--explaining it to them works wonders most of the time. I had a nose-to-nose with Middie about marking in the house and he hasn't done it since, though the bellyband may have helped.

I'm SO glad his little clawsies are clipped--that's great for him and you. And from my one kitty who hates it, all I can say is 8 claws is a VICTORY!

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Way to go Ferris.

I am really lucky because both of my guys are very good about having their claws trimmed.

Sassy Just lays there if he is sleeping chances are he won't even wake up.

Linus is nosey about it it is usually a chore to keep his head out of the way because he's trying to see what your doing to his feet. He will get a little impatient after one paw so I generally let him go play and do the other when he comes back later on.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

That is wonderful news - maybe he understood that there is a benefit from having them trimmed.
That could certainly be part of it. It was always a battle royal with Shasta, until I procrastinated to the point where her claws were catching in stuff. The first time I did them under that circumstance, the world still heard the horrible tale of the torture she was being put through. But she was a very quick learner, and noticed the wonderful difference as soon as they were done. Thereafter, if I waited until the claws began to catch, there was only token protest, and no resistance. More than just a pretty face.

Congratulations on the 8-claw accomplishment!!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I firmly believe that they do understand...at least the tone of your voice. Plus your boy loves and trusts you and you're starting to reap the benefits of that.

I'm going to try a little more of this next time we do Stanley's nails. He's otherwise very mellow, but touch the paws and he goes into clawed octopus mode

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nial,

I've TOLD you that I can trim your Bengal nails - haven't met a cat yet that I could not do one way or the other - I can teach you how to do it too

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Nial,

I've TOLD you that I can trim your Bengal nails - haven't met a cat yet that I could not do one way or the other - I can teach you how to do it too
Oh I'm sure you can trim some of my bengal cats nails. Heck I have no problem with most of them.

But.......it takes the Vet and 2 vet-techs to trim Cypress and Jack's nails. I can flat out guarantee you, you will not be able to do it.

Cypress is the arnold schwarzenegger of cats. His legs are built like a powerlifter's.
He has it in his mind that he doesn't want his claws touched and he has the brute strength to make sure everyone around him knows that little fact.
.......he's only 6 months old.....

Thankfully he's otherwise very mellow and easily handled by everyone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Nial,

Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Oh I'm sure you can trim some of my bengal cats nails. Heck I have no problem with most of them.

But.......it takes the Vet and 2 vet-techs to trim Cypress and Jack's nails. I can flat out guarantee you, you will not be able to do it.

Cypress is the arnold schwarzenegger of cats. His legs are built like a powerlifter's.
He has it in his mind that he doesn't want his claws touched and he has the brute strength to make sure everyone around him knows that little fact.
.......he's only 6 months old.....

Thankfully he's otherwise very mellow and easily handled by everyone.
Is anyone taking bets? Can we have a showdown at the next cat show you both are attending?

OK, 8 claws done on Ferris.

Now, to start dialoging with Penny about HER too-long claws...
I think I have a ways to go yet...

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a good boy Ferris!!!

It cost me $20 just to take Lola in to the vet to have her claws trimmed about 6 weeks ago. She needs it done again, but is due for a re-check for her UTI on the 19th. Maybe I can incorporate a nail trimming with the cystocentesis. I can only get one done at a time and she's gone. By the time I get the last one trimmed, it's time to re-do the first one, lol!

Good luck with Penny! Maybe Ferris will tell her that it isn't that bad after all!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can convince Nial to bring those Bengals to a show in my area, will be glad to take you up on the bet

And Nial, I think its your fault on Cypress - as you could have started at a month old in trimming nails and you'd have NO problem