Dr.s Foster & Smith food at Target

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So last night I was shoping at Target and saw Dr.s Foster & Smth food. I looked at the ingrediants & it looked preety good. Due to the problems I've been having with picky eaters I bought a small bag of the dry & a couple cans of the wet. Then this morning it dawned on me that they were on the recall list. I checked & luckily the flavor of canned food I fed them last night was not on the list & I check the cans I had left & that flavor was, but the date codes & lots were newer. Also, the dry food I bought was not on the list (I bought the hairball control). I have 2 questions, is it reall a good food, and what would you do. I can't believe I didn't even think about the recall last night.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
CANS from the recall were destroyed by many companies... Dr fosters and smith is not a fav of mine but it is a good food and worth a try ... Do your can s and dry have GARLIC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know I'll have to look for that. I was looking at the fact that chicken was the first ingrediant.

G

ghostuser

Adult Cat Food Advanced Hairball Control
Chicken & Brown Rice

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min.) \t36% (40% dry matter basis)
Crude Fat (min.) \t16% (18% dry matter basis)
Crude Fiber (max.) \t8% (9% dry matter basis)
Moisture (max.) \t10%
Ash (max.) \t6.5% (7% dry matter basis)
Magnesium (max.) \t.10% (.10% dry matter basis)
Taurine (min.) \t.20% (.20% dry matter basis)
Omega-6 Fatty Acids (min.) \t3.2%* (3.5% dry matter basis)
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (min.) \t.6%* (.7% dry matter basis)
*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profiles.
[Back to top]

Calorie Content

One cup contains 482 calories.
[Back to top]

Ingredients

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Rice, Chicken Fat (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, citric acid, and rosemary), Beet Pulp, Cellulose, Fish Meal, Egg Product, Natural Flavor, Whole Ground Flaxseed, Whole Cranberries, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Whole Blueberries, Tomato Pomace, Herring Oil, Casein, Kelp, DL-Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Sodium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Garlic, Dehydrated Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Bifidobacterium thermophilum Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Bifidobacterium longum Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Choline Chloride, Zinc Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Zinc), Iron Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Iron), Manganese Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Manganese), Copper Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Copper), Niacin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Cobalt Proteinate (source of Chelated Cobalt), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Potassium Iodide, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite (source of Vitamin K activity), Sodium Selenite.

Drs. Foster & Smith Chicken Formula Canned Adult Cat Food
(the others are fairly similar..)

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min.) \t10% (45% dry matter basis)
Crude Fat (min.) \t7% (32% dry matter basis)
Crude Fiber (max.) \t1% (5% dry matter basis)
Moisture (max.) \t78%
Ash (max.) \t2% (9% dry matter basis)
Magnesium (max.) \t.025% (.1% dry matter basis)
Taurine (min.) \t.06% (.3% dry matter basis)

Calorie Content

ME (kcal/kg) = 1,280 (calculated)
One can contains 200 calories.

Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Liver, Chicken Broth, Brown Rice, Egg Product, Whole Ground Flaxseed, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Guar Gum, Whole Blueberries, Whole Cranberries, Kelp, Potassium Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate (source of Calcium & Phosphorus), DL-Methionine, Taurine, Carrageenan, Garlic, Sodium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Choline Chloride, Iron Proteinate (source of chelated Iron), Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Proteinate (source of chelated Zinc), Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Proteinate (source of chelated Copper), Biotin, Manganese Proteinate (source of chelated Manganese), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite.

ladydrae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet actually was one of the vets who developed that food, and it is safe, nutritious and contains many good antioxidents. It was developed for cats with a gluten and or corn allergy, and it also has active cultures to aid in digestion. He no longer works for F&S and still recommends it, although he prefers Eagle Pack.

All of the recalled food has been destroyed, and as a neighbor of Foster and Smith, I know that they took the recall very seriously, and have pledged to only purchase their ingrediants from American manufacturers and growers so as to avoid such problems in the future. Their recall was also more voluntary than necessary, they tested the food found reasons for concern and pulled it, no animal actually registered as ill from their food.

Some people like the food, some don't. Some cats like it, and some don't. If your cats like it and it makes them happy and keeps them healthy, feed it!

I don't know how much Target is charging, but if you buy it from F&S online or throught he catalogueevery 10th bag is free and there is a similar deal with the canned food!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you ... now may I ask where you found it or did you get and type??

Originally Posted by wishiwas

Adult Cat Food Advanced Hairball Control
Chicken & Brown Rice

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min.) \t36% (40% dry matter basis)
Crude Fat (min.) \t16% (18% dry matter basis)
Crude Fiber (max.) \t8% (9% dry matter basis)many cat s will find this too high
Moisture (max.) \t10%
Ash (max.) \t6.5% (7% dry matter basis)
Magnesium (max.) \t.10% (.10% dry matter basis)out of range for UTI health
Taurine (min.) \t.20% (.20% dry matter basis)
Omega-6 Fatty Acids (min.) \t3.2%* (3.5% dry matter basis)
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (min.) \t.6%* (.7% dry matter basis)

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profiles.
[Back to top]

Calorie Content

One cup contains 482 calories.
[Back to top]

Ingredients

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Rice, would prefer not brown and white but
Chicken Fat (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, citric acid, and rosemary), Beet Pulp, Cellulose,from where Fish Meal, another from where,Egg Product, Natural Flavor, Whole Ground Flaxseed, Whole Cranberriesbetter forms for digestion are avail but this is still good, Whole Sweet Potatoesyeah wish it was the main fiber and carb source, Whole Blueberriesbetter forms avail, Tomato Pomace, Herring Oilnamed oil and a fish at that , Casein,often milk derived Kelp, DL-Methionineboth good for UTI health, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Sodium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), GarlicNO GO for me too much on possible anemia and other issues, Dehydrated Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Bifidobacterium thermophilum Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Bifidobacterium longum Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Productprobiotics YEAH , hopefully they are used in a manner that cooking doesnt destroy them, Choline Chloride, Zinc Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Zinc), Iron Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Iron), Manganese Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Manganese), Copper Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Copper), Niacin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Cobalt Proteinate (source of Chelated Cobalt), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Potassium Iodide, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite (source of Vitamin K activity), Sodium Selenite. a mix of natural food and natural and synthetic viamins and minerals

I would not feed but for convenience ie target it looks good

Drs. Foster & Smith Chicken Formula Canned Adult Cat Food
(the others are fairly similar..)

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min.) \t10% (45% dry matter basis)
Crude Fat (min.) \t7% (32% dry matter basis)
Crude Fiber (max.) \t1% (5% dry matter basis)

Moisture (max.) \t78%
Ash (max.) \t2% (9% dry matter basis)
Magnesium (max.) \t.025% (.1% dry matter basis)
Taurine (min.) \t.06% (.3% dry matter basis)

Calorie Content

ME (kcal/kg) = 1,280 (calculated)
One can contains 200 calories.

Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Liver, Chicken Broth, Brown Rice, Egg Product, Whole Ground Flaxseed, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Guar Gum, Whole Blueberries, Whole Cranberries, Kelp, Potassium Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate (source of Calcium & Phosphorus), DL-Methionine, Taurine, Carrageenan, Garlic, Sodium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Choline Chloride, Iron Proteinate (source of chelated Iron), Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Proteinate (source of chelated Zinc), Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Proteinate (source of chelated Copper), Biotin, Manganese Proteinate (source of chelated Manganese), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite.
see above

G

ghostuser

I copied the lists directly from the DrsF&S web site. Our Targets don't carry it currently, so I don't have a can to compare to.

fenleebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Saw it at my target today, but it was on clearance at the end of the aisle.

noludoru

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sharky, did you mean methionine is good for UTI health?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by noludoru

Sharky, did you mean methionine is good for UTI health?
both kelp and methionine are good for UTI health ... the kelp is complex but offers up things that work to aid in it unlike the Methionine which is VERY good

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't seen the cat foods at Target. Our Targets (and I frequent at least 3 different ones) only had the dog food and it's now on the clearance (which seemed kind of fast, it was only on the shelf a few weeks).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah it was at the end of the isle, but the cat food didn't say anything about clearance. My cats seem to like it, but I was just trying it because Target is a lot closer to where I live than the pet store, so I was hoping to be able to stop there when I was low on food. To be honest I'm so busy there is no way I would be able to think far enough ahead to order food when I was getting low. If Target isn't going to continue to sell this food I will just stick with what they are eating. I also have to watch Isaac his tummy seems a little sensitive & last time I tried a food that was higher in fiber he got the runs.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to feed Foster and Smith. But lately my cat Rosie has had a sensitive reaction to garlic. She didn't have this when I fed this food until one night I gave her a piece of steak which was seasoned with garlic and pepper. I washed the seasoning off (or so I thought) but it was still in the steak and Rosie was vomiting. The next day I gave her some Foster and Smith wet food and she vomited again. So I'm really cautious now.

I would so much like to put my cats on Foster and Smith and try their Country Classic dinners as I would like to feed a better diet to my cats. They have a preference for Purina Pro-Plan wet over any other wet food but in order for me to feed Foster and Smith to my cats the company has to remove the garlic but I don't think they're going to do that. Wellness won't do it either.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by moggiegirl

I used to feed Foster and Smith. But lately my cat Rosie has had a sensitive reaction to garlic. She didn't have this when I fed this food until one night I gave her a piece of steak which was seasoned with garlic and pepper. I washed the seasoning off (or so I thought) but it was still in the steak and Rosie was vomiting. The next day I gave her some Foster and Smith wet food and she vomited again. So I'm really cautious now.

I would so much like to put my cats on Foster and Smith and try their Country Classic dinners as I would like to feed a better diet to my cats. They have a preference for Purina Pro-Plan wet over any other wet food but in order for me to feed Foster and Smith to my cats the company has to remove the garlic but I don't think they're going to do that. Wellness won't do it either.
Welness has it seems that only some disturbuters have it ... mine have been eating no garlic wellness for months...Someone is looking into finding the no garlics dates .... pro plan is decent

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Welness has it seems that only some disturbuters have it ... mine have been eating no garlic wellness for months...Someone is looking into finding the no garlics dates .... pro plan is decent
Are you sure Pro-plan is decent? My cats don't like the natural pro-plan wet food. They like the stuff with the meat by-products and artificial flavoring. This Pro-plan wet food is similar to Fancy Feast.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by moggiegirl

Are you sure Pro-plan is decent? My cats don't like the natural pro-plan wet food. They like the stuff with the meat by-products and artificial flavoring. This Pro-plan wet food is similar to Fancy Feast.
oh I thought you meant the natural one... wet food is wet food... as my vet put it ... give them what theyll eat ... and hope it is good