Diahrrea and California Natural, i don't know what to do????

jasminesmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To make a long story short, my 8 month old kitten Simon, has had stomach issues pretty much since I got him. I adopted him at 12 weeks. He has had chronic diahrrea, and we found a Rx food that seemed to help, IVD Rabbit and Green Pea. I know that food isn't the best for him so I decided to do some reaserch to see if I could find a food that might agree with him the the Rabbit and green pea did. I started just feeding him 95% canned chicken (wysong) and he seemed to handle it ok, so i then tried California Natural chicken and rice and he started with the diahrrea again!
I just don't know what to do!! I am thinking about switching him to Natural Balance dry duck and green pea ( the allergy formula) but I really don't want to do another food switch to just come up with the same results. Does anyone have any suggestions?? I have been thinking about raw, but to be honest, I am a little scared of it and I also have 3 other cats that I would need to switch also. He is going to eat the Cal natural for at least another 2-3 weeks to see if maybe he just takes a LONG time to get used to new foods, but I am thinking that really won't matter. Any suggestions and/or advice would be wonderful! I might just need that last little push to switch to raw

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If Rudy is having diarrhea on the Cal Natural he shouldn't continue to eat it. Diarrhea and the dehydration that comes with it is very hard on young kitties.

If he was doing OK on the Wysong why not continue with that? Another allergy food to try might be Natural Balance canned Venison and Pea. It sounds as though Rudy needs a simple food perhaps with novel protein and vegetable sources.

Normally cats shouldn't need an adjustment period to different wet foods. Switches between dry foods need to be done gradually over a period of about two weeks.

For what it's worth one of my cats had severe diarrhea after eating the canned Cal Natural Chicken and Rice. I have six cats so I don't know who had the problem. I discovered it when I got up in the morning after feeding Cal Natural for dinner the previous evening.

Good luck to you and Rudy in finding a food he can eat and enjoy.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jean44;1961637 said:
Normally cats shouldn't need an adjustment period to different wet foods. Switches between dry foods need to be done gradually over a period of about two weeks.

I am sorry, but that is incorrect. Any changes in food whether wet or day should be done gradually and over a period of days even weeks sometimes. Changing food as often as you have posted you have, can cause diarrhea on its own. You also want to be sure and push fluids for the kitty because dehydration is a real concern. Pet fountains are good, floating toys in the water bowl works, adding a bit of tuna or mackeral juice to the water, anything you can to get the kitty to drink.

All my cats eat the same food every day. Switching it up on them causes stomach upset and loose stools. When you find what works, stick with it. If you have to experiment do so slowly. Diarrhea is very taxing on a young cat's system.

i also sent you a PM>

fenleebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is some truth to the canned food comment. Usually if you stick to the same protein source it will be fine. I have 5 cats and rotate canned foods regularly without a hitch. Sticking with the same food can cause allergies and finicky eating. However, if a medical condition is involved, you do what works best.

Dry foods do need to be done much more slowly. If you have a cat with IBD, then EVERYTHING needs to be done very slowly.

I wouldn't stick to the Wysong 95% chicken as it's not a balanced meal. It's to be used as a supplement, not a dietary staple. The other problem I see is that you have been rotating between chicken, rabbit and duck. All VERY different protein sources. That alone can be upsetting to the tummy, let alone who quickly the foods been switched around.

Slippery Elm is natural remedy that is very good for diarrhea and coating the stomach and it's safe. If you have a health food store or a vitamin shoppe near you, you can buy slippery elm capsules sprinkly 1/2 capsule on top of his food with each meal for a day or two and the diarrhea usually subsides.

I've used it a few times and it works great.

Hydration is very important as the poster above stated. So, don't let the diarrhea continue without intervention. Water is very important, you can also add more water to his canned foods, that is an easy way to get it in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jasminesmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm actaully not having an issue with wet food, he has been eating that for a while now, just chicken, its the dry food. I wanted him to stay with one protien source, that is why I picked a wet and dry that just use chicken. I just don't know what food he needs to be eating to make him not have diahrrea, our vet is working with us on this issue, he has had fecal cultures done with negative results and he has also been on antibiotics with no result. I was thinking about a novel protien souce, that's why I was contemplating the duck and green pea, but he is currently eating the cal natural still. I also realize hydration is very important, he actually drinks quite a bit, I do witness this.

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Poor baby. It's horrible when this happens and you just don't know how to help. Everyone gave great advice and it's wonderful that you're working with your vet to help Rudy.

A couple things...

As you do this is to try to be calm. When we are nervous and anxious about the diarrhea and helping the kitty and not knowing what to do, our kitties pick up on this and this can sometimes exacerbate the diarrhea problems. I know b/c I always would get nervous and I think that extended the problems my kitties had in the past.

Also, when Pico had diarrhea I had no idea what the problem was. We did fecals, x-rays, all kinds of stuff...and one day when I cleaned the litter box after he'd used it I noticed a string or something holding two pieces of poo together. I took it to the vet and he said that the cat was eating string or something similar. Turns out he was eating my rattan chair! So that went out...and his diarrhea cleared up. Crazy kid!! Maybe Rudy's getting into something and you just haven't noticed...???

Good luck with your babies.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by merlynn's mom

Also, when Pico had diarrhea I had no idea what the problem was. We did fecals, x-rays, all kinds of stuff...and one day when I cleaned the litter box after he'd used it I noticed a string or something holding two pieces of poo together. I took it to the vet and he said that the cat was eating string or something similar. Turns out he was eating my rattan chair! So that went out...and his diarrhea cleared up. Crazy kid!! Maybe Rudy's getting into something and you just haven't noticed...???
Good grief! As if there aren't enough things that can cause diarrhea in cats now we have to add "Is he eating the furniture?" to the list.