Low cost vet?

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
AS some of you know, I have 2 orphan kittens(now 3 weeks old) that I am hand-raising. Well, in a couple weeks it will be time to get them spayed and while I'm getting the white kitten, Yin, spayed, I would also like to get her tail surgery done.

The problem with her tail is that the other kittens(they had 2 other siblings that passed away before I got them) sucked it to death, literally. When I took her to my vet she told me that if the tail didn't heal, it would need to be amputated. Spaying and shots isn't a problem because there is a place nearby that can do it for about $30 each. It's the surgery I'm worried about.

Although the actual amputation should not be very complicated, the anesthetics, the bloodwork, and all the other stuff needed to do the surgery are going to be pricey.

Long story short(lol), does anyone know of a vet/clinic nearby me that could do the surgery for a smaller fee?

I don't want to have to sign up for financial aid and all that stuff.
Surely there is a vet or clinic out there that will help me out seeing as how I am taking care of kittens that aren't even mine(yeah, I'm patronizing myself, rofl!) and that I'm even going out of my way to make sure they are "shotted" and spayed before they go to their new homes.

Oh yeah, my zip is 60101.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried calling the local shelters? Surely they could advise you...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I've contacted some of the shelters> I found one, Tree House Animal Foundation. They only do spay/neuter and shots in their clinic, but the woman in charge is going to see if they might be able to do the surgery that Yin needs. I sent her a picture of Yin's tail and she said it needs to be done as soon as possible because otherwise it will keep getting worse. By the time Yin is ready to be spayed she may very well lose a good portion of her tail.

She said she would contact me back later today, but she's probably a very busy woman. If she hasn't contacted me back by tomorrow then I'll email her.

Can ya'll keep Yin in your prayers and please pray the Tree House can help her? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
IF this doesn't work out then I'll have to find a vet nearby that will allow me to pay them off in weekly/monthly payments.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I thought I had contacted them, but I guess not. I just sent them an email to see if they can do the surgery that needs to be done. Thanks!

fenleebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cheap s/n too, for cats I think it's like $10 or something. Wish I could find that around here, of all the low cost places the ones I can find for $50/35 require them to be 6 months old first. Next best thing is through FriendsofAnimals which is great, but it's $65/50 and I have an orphaned litter of FIVE.

Plus just did one of my own this week (through FOA, my vet takes their certs thank goodness) and have two more (We currently have 3 kittens...4, 5 and 5 1/2 months - yes I have a problem, I know!)

P.S.

If they don't respond to the email, call them. They may respond just telling you to call anyway, I remember them not being great about email communication.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I called the ACS and they pretty much said that I'm not "poor" enough to get the kitten treated at their clinic.

Well, that was rude! Here I am trying to raise these kittens that aren't even my responsibility and they won't even help me out!

fenleebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TortieBaby

I called the ACS and they pretty much said that I'm not "poor" enough to get the kitten treated at their clinic.

Well, that was rude! Here I am trying to raise these kittens that aren't even my responsibility and they won't even help me out!
That sucks. I totally feel your pain, like I said I have a litter of 5 and they have already cost me about $700 in med bills alone. It's so unfair that other people can be irresponsible and leave the burden to those that have the heart big enough to pick up the pieces. That doesn't necessarily mean our wallets are big enough to match.

Do you have a good friend that could bring the kitten with you in that might qualify?

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, I have no friends nearby. Seriously, lol. Hubby and I got married 2 years ago and we moved up here a year ago. The only people I know are the few people I worked with, but now I don't work so I have no friends, lol.

fenleebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TortieBaby

No, I have no friends nearby. Seriously, lol. Hubby and I got married 2 years ago and we moved up here a year ago. The only people I know are the few people I worked with, but now I don't work so I have no friends, lol.
I work from home and just moved here a year ago too. Are we living parallel lives?

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I guess so, lol. I too do a bit of work from home(I make and sell ferret bedding).