130 cats in a two-room apartment

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
rediculious is what i think. this woman is a hoarder. it is cruel to keep sooo many cats in such a small space where they don't have adequate room not to mention there is no way she could possibly give that number of cats the attention they need to be properly socialized etc. What about medical needs- are they all spayed / neutered and current on shots? I hope so....but i have a feeling one person may not have the amount of money they need to properly care for 150 cats. It's sad. Some people really need to know when enough is enough.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Flat-out hoarder, and no excuse for it.

Her apartment is the size of mine, and I think mine is borderline too small for two cats. Goodness.

(If you watch the video, all the males are neutered. Why not the girls, I imagine money, but that's stupid)

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree Nikki and Julie. That's WAAAAAAYY too many cats for a 2 bedroom apartment. Heck even when we had 3 cats in our old 2 bdrm apt, that was too much.
If I were that lady I would definitely try to adopt them out. Legally create my own rescue and do that.

I wondered why only males were neutered. Females are more prone to ovarian cysts, so spaying then would be great healthwise.

I did see 2 litter boxes. It looks like she "hides" them under those colored chairs.

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yeh I have a pretty small place with 5 cats & a bunny, and the bunny has his own room with the 2gerbils/2mice. so they only have the bedroom, livingroom, and kitchen and I know I have to many for this place I could never even add one more!!!

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG! I don't even know what to say.
That's just insane. We have 4 dogs and 5 cats in a 3-bdrm house, but we have 1/4 of an acre for the dogs to run, so they're not always inside. I couldn't imagine 130 animals in one tiny apartment.

jenc511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just don't see how that many cats can live in a regular two-room apartment humanely (and I highly doubt Russia is home to tons of insanely-oversized-two-room apts). The scene of them feeding is absolutely ridiculous. I appreciate that this woman cares about cats, but I would have to classify her with the other hoarders. Just because you love cats doesn't give you the right to cram them into whatever space you happen to have available and pretend to be doing them a service.

If this woman was a breeder, how would we view her "facilities"? As far as I'm concerned, simply keeping animals alive is not the same thing as providing them with an acceptable/humane existence.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just don't know what to say how in the world can you have that many cats in such a small space. I just don't understand people. And why didn't someone call the animal control before it got that far. I know that hoarding is a mental instability. Hope the cats find new homes but most won't make it due to lack of socialization and other issues.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
while in one hand i agree its far to many cats in such a small space , the females need to be spayed, and i hate the way they get fed, and like whats been said about socialization etc.
but on the other hand, there being fed 2 meals a day they have somewhere warm to sleep and are safe away from preditors. they were strays that she took in? i dont know what it is like out there on the situation with cats and them being pets or not but i think in a way its better then them roaming the streets and having more kittens, at the moment i know the females are not spayed but the males are yes there are going to be a few excapes with that number of cats, but not half as bad as it would be if left outside.
does anyone know what it is like out there for shelters,rescues pet wise??? if so please post some information.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was surprised the neighbors put up with it.

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When the video came on, I just couldn't stop laughing!!!
Mostly because I see myself being her one day! HAhaha...As for the kitties, I know there are better situations they could be in, but there are also much worse! At least she was bright enough to fix the boys...well...maybe "bright" isn't the right word for her.

jenc511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by XxtashaxX

i dont know what it is like out there on the situation with cats and them being pets or not but i think in a way its better then them roaming the streets and having more kittens,
It's better for *us* if they're not roaming the streets and having more kittens. I don't believe for a second that most of those cats wouldn't prefer to be able to go outside and be "free" to that mess they're living in now. That's not to say they wouldn't prefer normal homes of their own, but if those homes aren't available, I'd rather see most of those cats euthanized than see them remain in that apartment or be warehoused in a shelter somewhere.

If anyone knows...does that woman actually *live* in that apartment with all those cats? Can you imagine how terrible the place (and that woman) must smell?

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I don't think she should have that many cats...BUT!

I have seen worse situations when it comes to animal hoarding. The place looks clean.

These cats seem to be in good health, a healthy weight and shiny coat.

While I do agree about the spaying. Perhaps this video she will get some assistance.( I am curious to know if they have been tested for FELV?FIV?)

She's just a person who loves animals, and for some reason she is one of those people who truly can't turn their back on an animal.

Also from what I can tell she has a litter box underneath every chair in that room.

redhairedgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her behavior is creepy, to say the least, but...I no longer feel bad about having 4 cats in my smallish 3-bedroom house! That did it!

I find myself watching the various cop shows on Animal Planet, and I've seen some horrifying places on there...it looked cleaner but how could you ever tell? Has she even seen her floor lately? So, yeah, WOW.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i wasn't able to view the video, but I get the point....

I agree - it's ridiculous!
Not only is it a health hazard to all those cats, it's also a hazard to the woman. I can't even begin to imagine what it must smell like in that apartment!
How can she afford to feed them all, and provide proper vet care??

I can understand her wanting to "save" all those cats, but you gotta draw the line somewhere. Heck - I'd like to be able to take all the strays that come onto our porch to eat, but it's just not feasable!

Like someone else stated, I think the woman is mentally imbalanced..

KittKatt

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Breal76

I have seen worse situations when it comes to animal hoarding. The place looks clean.

These cats seem to be in good health, a healthy weight and shiny coat.

Also from what I can tell she has a litter box underneath every chair in that room.
The place looked spotless. It looked like linoleum floors, easy to keep clean, and there appeared to be a litter box under every one of those chairs. She said it was a lot of work to keep them, and someone who wasn't taking care of them wouldn't be working as hard, maybe?

Originally Posted by KittKatt

i wasn't able to view the video, but I get the point....

I agree - it's ridiculous!
Not only is it a health hazard to all those cats, it's also a hazard to the woman. I can't even begin to imagine what it must smell like in that apartment!
How can she afford to feed them all, and provide proper vet care??

Like someone else stated, I think the woman is mentally imbalanced..

KittKatt
She probably is mentally imbalanced, at least in comparison to the rest of the world, but honestly, I can think of a lot worse ways to be imbalanced. I have *NO* idea how in the world she can keep up with them, even just for something as simple as walking across her house, but.. um.. yeah, I can't do that in my home with 5.

Personally, I think her health is subjective given the fact that she chose to have that many. The cats' health, however, is less so. The question there is ... Russia gets really cold. I imagine that they may have a better life indoors where they're not literally freezing to death than being outside.. so while the health care may not be the best they could be receiving, I suspect that the life they have is better than at least some of them may have had had they not been taken in. There didn't seem to be any fighting among them. I can't imagine that it doesn't occur given the number of them.

Originally Posted by FiftyFour

HOLY MOLY that was A LOT of cats...
Yeppers! Still don't know how she doesn't manage to trip and kill herself.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen this awhile back but without the explanation. While she's done a fairly good thing, and neutered the males - what about all the females in heat all the time and calling. No wonder the guy mentioned about the noise. You should be spaying them too.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure she can't afford to spay the females, even though they should be. By being in her house, though, as opposed to outdoors, some control of the population is being maintained, whereas they wouldn't be if they were feral, unless a TNR stepped in.

I don't know how she deals with females in heat, because you know there has to be at least one in heat at all times.

I wonder if she runs into a spraying problem even with them fixed due to territorial issues?