How would I pay

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been wanting to take a forensic science course for awhile now. It's one that you do through mail or whatever. It's only like 800 bucks. Then I discovered that a local college will be offering biotechnology courses. Oh, I'd love to start a science carrer but I will probably never be able to afford all these classes.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Search for grants, scholarships, and loans. See what you can come up with. My loans are about $160 a month and I have two totalling $10,000 dollars.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be very, very suspicious of correspondence and online courses. Before you sign up, talk to a few employers and find out where the people they're hiring got trained...

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

I've been wanting to take a forensic science course for awhile now. It's one that you do through mail or whatever. It's only like 800 bucks. Then I discovered that a local college will be offering biotechnology courses. Oh, I'd love to start a science carrer but I will probably never be able to afford all these classes.
Can't you apply for financial aid! If you qualify, you paid 0. They will also
supply the books! I don't know if they have that where you live , but
I wouldn't know why they wouldn't!
Monique

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Be very, very suspicious of correspondence and online courses. Before you sign up, talk to a few employers and find out where the people they're hiring got trained...
I agree. I don't know if they would be accredited. I am doing a science degree and I am going through the proper and expensive channels. You need to research what it involves. A lot of people think that forensic science stuff just involves all that fancy machinery and fun stuff that you see on CSI when in reality, it is a lot more work than that.

Why not visit a crime laboratory and ask them what the requirements for a job are.

Good luck!

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did online college through Western International University (Now Axia). It's a sister college to University of Phoenix and is accredited. I wouldn't do the courses that are correspondence through the mail. I tried that for computer science and it ended up being a course teaching me how to use a computer! ROFL I already knew all that.

Here's my experience.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art..._college_.html

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honey that's what financial aid is for. If we all waited for the money to come, very derned few of us would ever go to college!! (I'm enrolled right now, and I paid using a student loan)

If you want to go back to school, then do it! I agree w/pp's that you should research any online course very thoroughly first to find out their credentials (from reputable sources outside their site!) but do look into it, as well as your local university.

Although carwashcats is partially correct, there are several types of financial aid: loans, grants and scholarships give you money for school, books and room & board if you need it. Loans will eventually have to be repaid, but federally guaranteed loans won't until you're out of school and (hopefully) gainfully employed, but grants and scholarships do not need to be repaid, unless you simply drop out.

Start by checking out the financial aid office at the Uni, and read up on the FAFSA website about applying for aid. Good luck and keep us posted!

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Indeed be very cautious. Just a little FYI, it takes years of training and a Masters to do forensic science. I only know this because I wanted to do a bachelor of science mastering in environmental science, to work for the health dept. I was informed of the many dozens of careers I could pursue with environmental science, one being forensic science.

"Oh I wish I could do math
"

Originally Posted by Kiwideus

I agree. I don't know if they would be accredited. I am doing a science degree and I am going through the proper and expensive channels. You need to research what it involves. A lot of people think that forensic science stuff just involves all that fancy machinery and fun stuff that you see on CSI when in reality, it is a lot more work than that.

Why not visit a crime laboratory and ask them what the requirements for a job are.

Good luck!
This is excellent advice, not to mention that those CSI movies are way to exaggerated. It is entertaining of course.

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well... I'm looking for new members for my website, but it's still in upgrades since the last hack, but hope to start soon, and if the new security features work properly I be glad to get new members to visit the website
especially from here US

If you and others can help me I can use the payout from them to cover your needs and send you $800.00

But let me see how it goes first, I doubt if those stupid hackers won't try to mess up again so there's definitely no need to start now... if other people feel like helping you (to refer others to my website) and by doing this I can help you more - I don't mind to try it as well, but I will keep you posted though... it doesn't look the best thing for me now, lost a lot of money because of those hackers too

So I will keep you posted and hope I could help with $800.00 ... even if the referrals don't reach the most of it I don't mind to pay the rest from my own... OR if people can advertise the website on streets and stuff it is good enough as well

Hope this isn't a spammy issue for you and hope by this way we could help each other to achieve what we're looking for

I will keep you posted though, right now I don't know what will be the future of my website... I need like a few days

Just curious to know, what is the deadline for you to get that money?

I really wanna help as much as I can... I can also as I said send you donation of $50.00, I want you to accomplish what you're looking for

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think I should drop my idea now, but let me help you with $50.00 please PM me your paypal account or address where to send a check or any other method... I wanna help and you should achieve this dream... I'm doing only little but if that's the least I can do to help so be it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DIEGO

"Oh I wish I could do math
"
This is excellent advice, not to mention that those CSI movies are way to exaggerated. It is entertaining of course.
I hope there's not to much math invovled because I suck at it. I also know that CSI is exaggerated but I still want to do this. I wish it wouldn't take long though because I'm already 26

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with the other posters. Make sure they're accredited. Otherwise you'll be spending a whole lot of money for nothing.

As far as paying for it, there are ways to get help. Filling out a FAFSA is a good first step, that will tell you whether or not you qualify for anything.

Unfortunatly I didn't
So I did the next best thing, took out a GSL. Stafford Loan. The interest rate isn't too bad. But- I didn't read the fine print, I need to be at least part-time to use the funds. I only have 4 credits this semester, so it looks like I have to pay for this semsester. Oh well.
As long as they don't take it away from me. I need the money for next semester, we don't have the money to pay for full-time nursing courses just laying around.

And don't let the math scare you. I had to take college algebra last year in order to get into the nursing program at my community college. It wasn't a bad course, at time it was actually kind of fun. And 26 isn't bad at all. I'm 40 and will graduate in 2 years with an RN degree. And I've been doing prerequisites for 5 years! One at a time though, something I really don't reccomend.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, I'd have to do college algebra and analytical geometry. That sounds scary.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My niece is taking biotechnology courses. She got school loans and a few scholarships. She's late with her paper work this year and is starting to freak out about it (should be going through this week)

As for the math she is taking calculus courses...not sure if that is mandatory with biotechnology.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

Oh no, I'd have to do college algebra and analytical geometry. That sounds scary.
Math is quite important in science - unfortunately. I am terrible at it and failed it in high school and I had the opportunity to do it all over again here

Thankfully, I got to understand some of the concepts. Also, when you have certain formulae for different scientific work, you use them all the time that it becomes routine. It is not too hard after that. What I do is I put all the important formulae in one book to help me remember. I hope this helps.

Originally Posted by stormy

As for the math she is taking calculus courses...not sure if that is mandatory with biotechnology.
You do need to know math for biotechnology - there are some machines that require you to do some calculations after reading results. I know I have used them.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This course only requires college algebra and geometry but I might to decide to get a bachlors after this and that will probably require calculus or something. I'm so excited. I just send my address to the school to mail me some info. The only thing that sucks is that the classes are under construction and aren't available right now. I wanna get the ball rolling. I really don't want to wait till I'm forty to start a career.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I just did some reserch and found that biotechnology deals more with DNA and stuff. I'm really interested in forensic science but the closest school that offers that is a three hour drive. I'd have to find out more about the biotech before I can decide but it just doesn't sound like what I have in mind.