NFL Fans...Your Predictions Are Needed!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With the kickoff to the NFL season starting Thursday night with a stellar match between the Super Bowl Champion Indianapolis Colts playing host to the New Orleans Saints I was wondering what your predictions will be for the upcoming season.

AFC East Winner: New England
AFC North Winner: Pittsburgh
AFC West Winner: San Diego
AFC South Winner: Indianapolis
AFC Wild Cards: Denver, Cincinnati

While many aren't picking them to do so, and as much as pains me to say it, I think that the Steelers are the best team in the AFC North despite all of the hype that Baltimore is getting. The only notable loss from the team is Mr. Chin (Cowher). Joey Porter was addition by subtraction, he's on the decline and was a bit overrated anyway.

NFC North: Chicago
NFC East: Philadelphia
NFC South: New Orleans
NFC West: St. Louis
NFC Wild Cards: Dallas, Seattle

AFC Championship Game: New England vs. Denver
NFC Championship Game: Philadelphia vs. New Orleans
Super Bowl: New England vs. Philadelphia
Winner: Philadelphia

Team that could surprise: Buffalo. If the young defense can gel in a hurry then this team could challenge for the playoffs.

Team that could disappoint: San Francisco. They have been receiving a lot of hype heading into the season but I think they are a year away from being in the playoffs.

shopcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
While many aren't picking them to do so, and as much as pains me to say it, I think that the Steelers are the best team in the AFC North despite all of the hype that Baltimore is getting. The only notable loss from the team is Mr. Chin (Cowher). Joey Porter was addition by subtraction, he's on the decline and was a bit overrated anyway.

As a long time Steelers fan, I have to add to this one!

Baltimore is good, I think it's McNair that is over-rated. He is getting old & slow & I can see him getting injured this year...if they bring in Leftwich, I don't see much inprovement over that. Baltimore embarrassed a spoiled Steelers team last year, look out for the revenge this season. With Tomlin coming in & judging by his attitude, I no longer look at Cowher as such a big loss, just a change that needed to happen. Joey was a helluva leader for the defense but the front office knew it was time to let him go, he was a bit overrated last season, but the season before watching him repeatedly sack Manning in that playoff game was poetry.
Cincinatti is overrated, too, their defense stinks, just like last season & the season before.
I'm looking forward to seeing what Cleveland will do. They were the only team to beat the Bears in preseason & beat them pretty good, too.
I don't like to make predictions, except for one...
The road to the Super Bowl goes through Pittsburgh!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I may be one of the few Bengals fans who think that the defense will be improved this year and end up ranked somewhere between 15-20. The play of the defensive line as a whole will be better and even though you can't judge anything based off of preseason the line played well. One thing I would like to see out of them is a more consistent pass rush to put pressure on opposing quarterbacks.

The two big question marks on the defense are the back seven- the linebackers and secondary. The secondary behind the starters is quite young and inexperienced. If the Deltha O'Neal who made the Pro Bowl in 2005 shows up to play this season then he and Jonathan Joseph will make a pretty good duo at corner. If he doesn't and wants to be lazy and not put forth any effort then the secondary is in trouble. He has the talent to vie for the Pro Bowl every season, it's frustrating to see that he doesn't always play to his ability. The weakest link in the secondary was Tory Holt and he's no longer here. It got old really fast seeing him get burnt every game and not make tackles. Rookie Leon Hall needs to learn fast as the team's thrid corner. With two other rookies as the safety backups the secondary will take it's share of lumps during the early part of the season. By the time the bye and the half way point rolls around I can see Hall challenging O'Neal for the other starting corner spot.

The linebackers are a bigger concern, IMO. The Bengals don't have the one guy on this defense that can be pointed to as a difference maker like the Bears have in Urlacher or the Chargers in Merrimen. They brought in Hartwell as a free agent but he didn't survive past the final cuts because he doesn't play special teams. Ahmad Brooks is the starting middle linebacker but he's learning on the fly. Caleb Miller and Landon Johnson need to play more. Johnson led the team in tackles each of the past two seasons and Miller played extremely well when he started a few games at middle linebacker.

I'm an optimist when it comes to my team, always have been, even through the woeful 15 years where they were the worst team in the NFL. The offense is one of best in the league but I would be lying if I didn't say that they won't be hurting a bit by not having Chris Perry until after the bye week, Kenny Irons being out for the year and that idiot Chris Henry being suspended for the first eight games. If the defense can improve at all this team will make the playoffs. I don't see them going any worse than 10-6. The schedule gets much easier (on paper) after the first four games. I see splits with Pittsburgh and Baltimore, a loss to the Patriots and three other losses.

I see Pitt winning the division (11-5) with Baltimore and Cincy fighting it out for a wild card spot in a close race.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

The only thing I'm sure of is that the Lions will be in the basement. Like usual.
I don't think they will be that bad. The offense should be good but the defense is a big question mark. I see the Lions finishing around 7-9 or 8-8 but certainly not last in the NFC North. The Packers have a solid defense but the offense isn't anywhere near what it used to be. The Vikings have a good defense but no QB to run the offense.

shopcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I swear if one more person predicts the Patriots to automatically be in the Superbowl I'm going to puke.

Damn...might as well not even watch now, since we all know who's going to win & who is going to do what.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Philly winning it. I love the Saints offense but their defense isn't all that good.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

The Packers have a solid defense but the offense isn't anywhere near what it used to be.
EXCUSE ME!!! I will have you know that even the Wall Street Journal picked the Packers to win the NFC North.
I wished they could have gotten Randy Moss though...

Brett isn't in his 17th season for nothing

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

EXCUSE ME!!! I will have you know that even the Wall Street Journal picked the Packers to win the NFC North.
I wished they could have gotten Randy Moss though...

Brett isn't in his 17th season for nothing

Great post!

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The Great Cindini places turban on head and sits cross legged on the floor...

Mmmmmmm.....

Mmmmmmm.....

I predict...

The Chiefs will suck!

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was born a Bears fan, and I will always be a Bears fan. That being said...if Grossman can get over himself, or they put a different QB in, I think they can go all the way.

Also, I think the Browns won the QB lottery...it's no wonder they still can't decide who will be the starter! lol Brady Quinn wasn't even considered a contender until he played in preseason. Being a Purdue fan, I cannot be a fan of Quinn (he's from Notre Dame), but I do think the Browns have a strong team, and could surprise us all.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've not kept up with the pre-season much, so I can't predict much more than the next week's worth of games! But I'm almost certain that the Raiders will be horrible. (evil laugh)

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Oscarsmommy

The Steelers, definately! I have faith in my boys this year!
I´m so sorry my friend...
BUT I´m so sure, the Cincinnati BENGALS would do this year!
....So next time for the steelers then!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CoolCat

Aw Rigel - you just like the Bengals cause they're named after cats!!

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mark my words!!!

The Indianapolis Colts will win the Super Bowl again!!!!!! and did I say "AGAIN"...

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CoolCat

It's a novel idea that the Bengals might go a little further then they have before.. That's what two wins for the season...

Just playing...

Sorry we have a rivalry around these parts with the Cincinnati Bengals and the Indianaplis Colts.. It's quite the fight round these parts!!!