Originally Posted by Pami
I will probably have homemade salsa and chips ..... with sliced avocado with lime ......but maybe some cereal ........
Nikki, can you post that tortilla bake recipe and share with us???
Sure thing gorgeous! Here's the recipe:
1)ground meat (i normally use lean ground turkey or lean ground beef) - BUT for any vegetarians - instead of meat, you could saute' some fresh peppers in a frying pan instead with taco seasoning and make it just as yummy
2) taco seasoning packet (or you can use your own seasoning)
3) flour tortillas (or corn - this recipe is REALLY flexible)
4. fat free refried beans (a small can)
5. 1 small can sliced or minced black olives
6. shredded cheese (i use colby & montery jack as it's the only thing that doesn't really make me sick- i'm a bit lactose intolerant).
7. taco sauce - i like ortega or the kroger store brand - a small bottle is perfect.
Brown meat, drain it and then add 1/2 - 3/4 cup of water and taco seasoning- let it simmer on low for 5 minutes. After the meat is done take out a glass dish (round works best but square is ok too). Take your first tortilla and spread a thin layer of refried beans on it. Then add a little bit of your meat. Next you add your taco sauce (a small drizzel), the some olives, and then your cheese. Put another tortilla down on top of that and repeat they layers until it's built up as much as you want it. Top it off with a plain tortilla (right now we have pretty crummy pans/pots so i can only get about 3 good layers on mine).
Put it in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. When it's done cooking pull the dish out and put a little shredded cheese on the top of the tortilla bake then sit it in the oven again for about a minute or two until the cheese is melted on top. Take it out of the oven and let it cool and then enjoy!!!
(also, you could add cooked yellow rice to the recipe as one of the layers, sour cream, guac. dip, peppers, onions...you name it- it's really about whatever you like!