How often do you clean your mouse?

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just out of curiousity how often does your mouse get cleaned? The reason I ask, is because our mouse had not been wanting to roll around or move very well-and today DH took it apart and cleaned off the roller!
You should of seen all the hair on it!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mice are tricky to wash. You don't want to get bit and the fact that you hold them by the tail doesn't help; as you dont' want to put them in water head first.

I would take a wash cloth and wash the mouse. Be sure you don't get water in their little ears and then give them a nibble of peanut butter cracker after the bath.

Be sure to keep out of drafts and the cat's paws

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an optical mouse, was some of the best money spent! I used to have to clean my mouse on a weekly basis because of the hair! You can get them very cheap now! You should try one!

noludoru

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My dad's optical doesn't work very well--it always acts like it has hair in it. The jerky movement sort of thing.

Mine I clean daily, at least brushing it down and taking the ball out to clean it. Cat hair accumulates on my desk. I give it a good, thorough cleaning with alcohol every few months.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to but then decided it was a waste of time. Now I just replace the old with a new one.

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a laptop and I'm very messy. (Just today I was using it while eating popcorn!
)
So, I have to wipe it off, only when it gets really, really bad.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Mice are tricky to wash. You don't want to get bit and the fact that you hold them by the tail doesn't help; as you dont' want to put them in water head first.

I would take a wash cloth and wash the mouse. Be sure you don't get water in their little ears and then give them a nibble of peanut butter cracker after the bath.

that's funny I have an optical mouse

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also have an optical mouse. When I had my first computer with the roller ball mouse, I had to clean it at least every other week or so, because of the cat hair.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hahaha!!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, I was going to say whenever I could catch them! Your's is much better tho!!
Seriously tho, before I got this optical mouse, I'd have to take my old one apart at least once a week, thanks to wound up hair. I'd use a pair of tweezers and clean the ball with alcohol, and it would work like new. You can't find anything but the optical around here anymore.

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See, I'm that weirdo that cleans each and every mouse I come into contact with at the University because I can't stand dirty mouse movement! I take the roller ball out and scrape the gunk off the directional rollers inside, then put 'em back together (my only OCD ideation! lol) I must say my optical mouse was a great improvement, but I even clean it about once a week or so, along with the ones in the computer labs on campus, because the glide feet get gummy and tend to stick to the work surface. I find that my mouse here at home doesn't track properly on my desktop, I have to have a mousepad underneath (has something to do w/my desk being black semi-gloss surface, doesn't reflect light into the optics very well)

It's pretty much the first thing I do when I sit down to a strange computer. I went to a good friend's house, and did this out of habit, while she was in another room, thought nothing of it. She sat down after me, and asked "What did you do to my mouse to get it working again?????" (It was gummed up pretty bad inside, she'd been doing the ol' jiggle n shake technique for a while) She had thought it was broken, and was going to have to buy a new one!

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by noludoru

My dad's optical doesn't work very well--it always acts like it has hair in it. The jerky movement sort of thing.
What kind of surface is your dad using? shiny surfaces, including shiny mouse pads will cause jumpiness, so will dying batteries.

Originally Posted by theimp98

I did not know people still used ball mice.
Whats a ball mouse

ETA: Wireless optical here. I include the wireless part coz some are still wired.