How many of you have close friends nearby?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe this sounds stupid, but I was just curious how many people have close friends they hang out with on a regular basis. I have friends I talk to at work, but I don't get together with them outside of work. I have two best friends that I would do anything for. One lives over an hour away and we try to get together a few times a year (she has a 10 yr old son so she is always going to baseball games, football games, etc); the other lives in Florida. I fell out of touch with a lot of my old friends when I moved away for 4 yrs, and now they're all married with families of their own. I'm married, but no kids. I think that's why I'm on here so much. Because I don't have anything else to do with my free time (well, house work, but what fun is that!
)

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have anyone I hang out with much. Don't much care anymore, been burned by so called "friends" way too many times.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I don't have anyone I hang out with much. Don't much care anymore, been burned by so called "friends" way too many times.
its a simillar thing with me, its like were adults but still the same old playground stuff? grow up a bit.

i do have a close friend who only lives 5 mins away from me, but because of work , kids etc we hardly get to see each other, the other one is from around my childrens schools but i wouldnt call her close as again its like being back at school with she said this and he said that

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have very few real "friends," and most of them now live far away, but I have literally hundreds of acquaintances in my area.

I got a Harley, and got a social life.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 2 best friends that both live about 1 to 1.5 hours away from me. We get-together for dinner every couple months and go on a week-long golf trip each year (coming up in 1.5 weeks - yahoo!). We've been friends for over 30 years and are closer than most sisters.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Hubby & I have acquaintances but we don't really like to hang out with anyone. We are each others best friend. We love it this way! Who needs friends when you have each other & kitties! We spend all our time with one another & our kitties.

yasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Over the years my friends and I have drifted apart with our own lives. I'm not married nor do i have children. I have many friends that have moved away-- for college, job relocation etc. I have 2 friends here in town that i hang with. They both have kids so its always a "planned" dinner thing. WE try to meet once a month. I tell ya, marriage and kids really changes things.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use to have hundreds of aquaintances that I hung out with in my party days.... Once I couldnt party anymore I found out who my true friends were (VERY few) which probably isnt a bad thing (we all gott grow up sometime)... I also found out who my true friends were once I got a bf (years ago). The only person I trust and consider a true/close/best friend is my sister. Sure I have a few work friends but we dont really get together after work (Ive only hung out with one of my co-workers one time).

My only other buddies are some tcs memebers... and my family of course. At least I know who is true in my life now.

yasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

I use to have hundreds of aquaintances that I hung out with in my party days.... Once I couldnt party anymore I found out who my true friends were (VERY few)
Thats the truth! I have many so called friends that dumped me after i grew out of the club scene. When i lost my mother and fiance within 4 months of eachother-- i really found my true friends. Hard times will shine the light for ya.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katz4Life

My Hubby & I have acquaintances but we don't really like to hang out with anyone. We are each others best friend. We love it this way! Who needs friends when you have each other & kitties! We spend all our time with one another & our kitties.
It's wonderful that you have a good relationship, but if something happened to one of you (heaven forbid), the other would need good friends and family to rely on. One of my 2 best friends lost her husband to cancer 3 years ago. He was only 52 years old and it was a shock. My other friend and I spent every second Saturday at her house, making dinner, spending time with her husband who was dying just so she could have a break. She came to rely on us to be there for her and our husbands had no issue with us spending our time with her. After the funeral, whenever she called and needed us, we dropped everything and went over. It was a 2 hour trip for me but to me friendship is very important so there was no way I would not have gone. The first Valentine's Day after he passed away (it was also their anniversary), she called in tears, I went over and spent the night with her.

I know that if I ever need either of them they are there for me. They don't replace in any way my feelings for my husband, they supplement it. He loves them almost as much as I do and has often told me how lucky I am to have such friends.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yasmine

Thats the truth! I have many so called friends that dumped me after i grew out of the club scene. When i lost my mother and fiance within 4 months of eachother-- i really found my true friends. Hard times will shine the light for ya.
Oh honey, I'm so sorry
I remember when you lost your mother in April, but I'm sorry to hear about your fiance as well...

As for me.... I have a few close friends, but only 1 that I can confide in to call my BEST friend. My mom is my ultimate best friend... and she's 2.5 hours away

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My best friend from work retired in May. We get together just about every Wednesday (my day off) to do lunch and shop. We also get together once in a while to take in a movie. She just lives across town, so she's very close. My other close (in heart) friends live quite a ways away, one in Lansing, the other in North Carolina. I see them both a couple of times a year. I wish I had more free time so I could visit more. My sister, who I am very close to, lives in San Diego. We talk on the phone several times a week, nearly daily. Unfortunately, we don't get to see each other often enough. Actually, I'm very close to my mother and we do stuff together a lot! And she only lives a couple of blocks away...it takes me about 5 minutes to walk to their house!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After I got my undergrad, most of my friends split the state for one with jobs

I don't have anyone that I'm close with anymore..I just am at that point that life and socialization is a cocktail party. I mingle a bit, but just enough to satisfy my social needs and not go overboard.

I probably have 2-3 people that I call friends in the area. Once we move B and I will only know 1 person. So we both have to find social grounds to meet more people!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very fortunate to have my best friend live close to me. She lives about 30 minutes away- so we hang out with each other all the time. We've been inseperable since we were little girls. You just don't find a good friend like that very often- she's definitely a gift from God
I love her to pieces!!!

I'm also REALLY lucky to be very close to my sister Kimmy- We go to each other's houses at least 4x a week. She just lives down the road from me -so we're always hanging out with one another and sharing a cup of coffee. I love her to pieces.

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Despite living in the town I grew up in, I rarely hang out with many of my past friends. I live with two girls I've known for about 3-4 years, but we don't really "hang out". My 3 very close friends and I get together once a week...at the most. The only person I really see very often is the SO. I have the ability to spend more time with my good friends, I just don't have the time

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no one. I moved to New Hampshire after I graduated college in Vermont. Most of my close friends are in Vermont, but I have one New York, one in Connecticut, a couple in Massachusetts and one in Florida.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was younger, I spent time with my friends daily. I still have the same friends, but since we are all so busy with our lives, we only get together occasionally, which is sad. Most of my friends live quite close to me, but life tends to get in the way.