Does anyone know approx how much this costs?

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To go to a lawyer and have your will drawn up? With Jerry's surgery coming up this Monday, he was thinking we should have gone and had a lawyer draw up a will, just in case..........
I can't even think about that. HE WILL BE FINE I keep telling him, but I guess people think when they're having surgery.....anywho, does anyone have any experience with this and approx how much it costs?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

To go to a lawyer and have your will drawn up? With Jerry's surgery coming up this Monday, he was thinking we should have gone and had a lawyer draw up a will, just in case..........
I can't even think about that. HE WILL BE FINE I keep telling him, but I guess people think when they're having surgery.....anywho, does anyone have any experience with this and approx how much it costs?
You can do it yourself with a little assistance from the local library. I believe the filing fees are anywhere from $150 to $300.

yasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I work in the legal field and from my experience it'll run you from 75.00-150.00. I'd call around to ask before you pick one.

There are also forms on the internet...another option......

yasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

You can do it yourself with a little assistance from the local library.
Thats very true, there are many resources out there if you look.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
You also should have a living will and power of attorney drawn up as a precaution. I know it is hard to plan for this but it does need to be done.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

You also should have a living will and power of attorney drawn up as a precaution. I know it is hard to plan for this but it does need to be done.
That's most likely what you are going to want to get done. Also, when Jerry goes into the hospital you are able to sign a PoA when he's there as well as a DNR if you think he may need it.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A straight-forward, uncomplicated Will shouldn't be terribly expensive. Call a few lawyer offices in your area to get pricing.

When our daughter was born both hubby and I had a Will prepared and Power of Attorney documents done. It was important to us to have a say in what would happen to our daughter should anything happen to both of us together.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think my parents paid around $150-200 for their will. They may have paid the $200 end only because they had some special items they wanted to add in.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Call a few lawyer offices in your area to get pricing.
Sooz i would ring around like Linda said, because i had my will with the company who handled Eddies estate, and they charged nearly £300 ($600), i decided to add my neice in so had it re done with the law firm who handled the purchase of my house and they were only £175.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about the US, but here you can get will kits that will allow you to write your own will, so there is just a filing fee. I hope Jerry's surgery goes well, Suze.............you know I'll be thinking of you both and keeping you in my prayers! Love ya, Little Sis!

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

To go to a lawyer and have your will drawn up? With Jerry's surgery coming up this Monday,
Thinking of you (boths) from today with all my forces my friend!

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh! Vibes for things going well!!

I don't know how much it actually costs, but DH and I had all the documents drawn up for an hour or two of tech support for a lawyer downtown, lol. DH typically charges the lawyer $50/hour, so I think when it was all said and done, it came out even.