Ripping up carpet problem

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Because of my roommates and her cats I have to keep my cat (hopefully just temporarily) in my master bedroom. It's a nice size room (about 16x13) with a big bathroom and she has two litter boxes and two water dishes, food, and more toys than she even cares for. The problem is that she's a curious and active younger cat who knows there are things going on outside that door. She has soft paws on because she's always had a scratching problem, but she can still rip up the threads of the carpet under the door even with them on. She doesn't really do any other damage to the room besides this (unless you count the pile of hair on my bed from her grooming herself up there
) I love this cat so much, but I'm a renter and really worried about my deposit and don't want to have to send her to my parents for a vacation or anything. Any advice, remedies, or products for this?

TIA!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there any way you could put duct tape or something similar over the edge of the carpet where she is scratching around the door? It may be enough to discourage her from scratching. Also perhaps you could pick up a small carpeted scratching post - doesn't have to be big.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Is there any way you could put duct tape or something similar over the edge of the carpet where she is scratching around the door? It may be enough to discourage her from scratching. Also perhaps you could pick up a small carpeted scratching post - doesn't have to be big.
Shoot, I forgot to list the things I had already tried, so I will now:

Today I put foil down with packing tape around, I don't think the packing tape is stick enough so I will try the duct tape suggestion.

Wedging a towel under the door really tight...this sort of works maybe 60% of the time, but then the other 40% of the time it's not tight enough.

Putting heavy things in front of the door before I close it, or her scratching post (she never uses the post). Apparently my cat is the hulk because she manages to move most of this stuff.

I'll get duct tape tonight and try that while I'm at work tomorrow. But keep the suggestions coming!

Oh, and here is my baby Hailey!

my cat mellow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am from England but currently live in Yorktown V
Apparently you can buy big clear plastic sheets with studs on, you lay it on the carpet so it goes under the door, so when your cat scratches the by the door they just get the plastic, I have yet to look at buying this stuff, but it was a friends suggestions and she said it should be available at hardware stores.

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by My cat Mellow

Apparently you can buy big clear plastic sheets with studs on, you lay it on the carpet so it goes under the door, so when your cat scratches the by the door they just get the plastic, I have yet to look at buying this stuff, but it was a friends suggestions and she said it should be available at hardware stores.
I'm not sure I follow...the studs attach it to the carpet? I live by a Home Depot so I'll drop by in the next few days. It seems the problem with the area she rips at is that it's right by the door jam making the carpet already a bit seperated from the wall so really easy to pull out threads and then also really hard to block off in anyway because of all the weird angles right there. But I'll try both of these suggestions ASAP. I also have feliway on it's way for her and the other cats so hopefully that might help this problem a little as well.

my cat mellow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am from England but currently live in Yorktown V
I think the studs hold it in place they are not sharp, a bit like what you may find on the bottom of a rug (i think) i did look on the home depot web site and couldnt see anything on there, but i wasnt sure what section it would be under.

It would go under the door so that she could lift the carpet at the join, I am not sure it would work on an actual corner tho.

Good luck

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by My cat Mellow

I think the studs hold it in place they are not sharp, a bit like what you may find on the bottom of a rug (i think) i did look on the home depot web site and couldnt see anything on there, but i wasnt sure what section it would be under.

It would go under the door so that she could lift the carpet at the join, I am not sure it would work on an actual corner tho.

Good luck
Well, either way you bring up a good point that I should try to rig up something, if nothing else I could cut out a spot for the corner and try to find other studs to fasten that corner area.

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clpeters23

One of my cats did that once, and I put down a rug over the spot and he hasn't touched it since.
I don't think that will work, but I can try, the main part where she rips is right at the door jam. L so if the corner looks like that she rips mostly at the bottom part of the L.

jenc511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe the other poster was talking about those office carpet protectors you put under rolling desk chairs, so they roll easily...? They have little "teeth" on the underside to keep them in place.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I 1st got Blossom's scratching tree I showed her how to use it by gently scratching her front paws on it. She caught on straight away.
I'd be trying to have my roommate see reason & alternate the time each cat has to be locked up. It's not fair that your baby has to suffer.

jenc511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love dogs and cats. I love that dogs are so easy to train. I'm a firm believer in making cats work for their dinner, too (at least as long as they're causing problems). Lucy has yet to eat without scratching her Purrfect Post. I haven't even bothered clicker training her. I just walked over to the post (liberally sprayed with catnip spray) the first time we fed her, and I have not fed her even once without walking over to the post and making sure she scratches before she eats.

We had a horrible old loveseat until today. My furniture was delayed, and it actually worked out okay. She tried to scratch the box spring and once, the wood moulding around the kitchen doorway, but I just discouraged her with a loud "No!" and chasing her off. She's been here a week and a half, and she hasn't tried to touch anything unacceptable since the first two or three days she was here. Having an acceptable scratching post makes a big difference, as does making it inviting with catnip spray and lavishing praise on the cats every time they touch it. Now, whenever Ms. Piggy wants to eat, she runs over to the scratching post and scratches like some kind of fiend. She also uses it throughout the day, hours from feeding time. Cats can be aloof and very independent, but they still have basic needs and respond to simple training.

A few years ago, I had some kitties who wanted to destroy everything in sight, and clicker training (even with my pathetic scratching posts - too short and flimsy) really did stop it in its tracks. I also have a ferret (they are notorious carpet diggers), and the carpet protectors really do help. Your cat would have to tear up the wood moulding/trim to get around them.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look for carpet runners. You can buy them by the length, and if they aren't wide enough to cover the part you want covered, turn it sideways and trim it to fit the corner with scissors or a box cutter so the door will close properly. Duct tape will work, but since you are renting, you may not want to use it. The adhesive it leaves behind is hard to get off of woodwork.

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
okay well today I tried duct tape, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be ripped off by the time I get home. It wasn't sticking to the carpet at all so most likely she'll just rip it right off. Tomorrow I think I'll try putting the thing under my office chair down.

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The office chair thing works WONDERS. It is clear plastic and you can get them in different sizes and shapes. It has little rubber/plastic teeth on the bottom, similar to those on a rubber horse curry comb. This prevents the plastic from moving, I think it would work for you.

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KuntryKitty

The office chair thing works WONDERS. It is clear plastic and you can get them in different sizes and shapes. It has little rubber/plastic teeth on the bottom, similar to those on a rubber horse curry comb. This prevents the plastic from moving, I think it would work for you.
Yea I'm hoping this will work, it has a corner area on it so hopefully it will fit in correctly. If not I'll have to look for those carpet runners I have to cut to fit around the corner.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

Look for carpet runners. You can buy them by the length, and if they aren't wide enough to cover the part you want covered, turn it sideways and trim it to fit the corner with scissors or a box cutter so the door will close properly. Duct tape will work, but since you are renting, you may not want to use it. The adhesive it leaves behind is hard to get off of woodwork.
I was going to suggest carpet runners. A roommate of mine put up posters with duct tape. Do not use duct tape to attach anything in a rental.

My cats are front declawed (I'm not recommending that) but they managed to destroy the carpet in the first apartment I had with them. They chewed the carpet! It was berber carpet and they just kept working at it. It cost me a lot because of that. So I hope the carpet runners work.

fiftyfour

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use to have this problem with Kitty. But since I moved, the carpet in my new apartment is different, it doesn't have those fibers that can be pulled up.

Before, nothing I could do would stop her from digging, so I basically covered the entire wall with furniture so that no carpet edges were accessible

I don't suppose you can cover that spot with something? It would probably block the way of the door opening.

Hopefully the carpet runners work for you.

Another thing that might help... Kitty used to paw at the corner of my bedroom door and wake me up at night. So I put something foul-smelling in the corner of the doorway which would repel her. But make sure it's not toxic.

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FiftyFour

I use to have this problem with Kitty. But since I moved, the carpet in my new apartment is different, it doesn't have those fibers that can be pulled up.

Before, nothing I could do would stop her from digging, so I basically covered the entire wall with furniture so that no carpet edges were accessible

I don't suppose you can cover that spot with something? It would probably block the way of the door opening.

Hopefully the carpet runners work for you.

Another thing that might help... Kitty used to paw at the corner of my bedroom door and wake me up at night. So I put something foul-smelling in the corner of the doorway which would repel her. But make sure it's not toxic.
Yea...can't do any furniture, I've tried putting like my laundry basket in front of the door and closing it and stuff, but she moves it. Foul-smelling like what? I've tried both spraying citrus scented air freshner (any recs for this though, mine wasn't very strong smelling) and some no scratch stuff, neither of them did anything really.

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, I put down the mat that was under my office chair and I'm pretty sure it's going to work.
I'll check tonight...but now she peed on my bed yesterday while I was at work. I'm hoping it's just the stress from the new kittens, but do you think I should get her to the vet? I can't go till monday so until then I'll salt her food and stuff...