Has Wellness removed garlic yet?

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that Wellness is planning to remove the garlic from their foods due to customer request, but does anyone know if they have done this yet? The email I got before said to just keep watch on the cans to see when the ingredients change. Since I don't feed that brand (yet) I don't have any cans to look at!

Has anyone noticed if it has changed yet?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I havent seen a garlic containing food in my area for months ... I beleive if you call Wellness they give the dates of the one s with NO GARLIC

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just bought canned Wellness and it still said garlic.

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just bought Wellness adult cat food - grain free flavors - last week and there was no garlic in the ingredient list.

However...I also bought the Wellness kitten variety for the little baby and it contained garlic.

crt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Out of curiosity, I looked at the cans of Wellness at Whole Foods last weekend and they only had the cans containing garlic. I'm glad to hear it is at least available now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I emailed them last week and they said they could not give dates and to just keep checking the cans for ingredients.

Maybe it is different in different areas?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it depends on the store. Mine still has the cans with garlic. They claim they get shipments frequently, but you couldn't prove it by me. None of them know anything about the new garlic-free formulas or the new pouches. I'm going to try to get out the other store that carries some wellness to check. I need some more Cal Natural anyway, and that's where I have to go to get it.

fenleebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine still says garlic and just by the way I buy cat food the little mom and pop shop would HAVE to order frequently.
I just picked up these cans a few days ago.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I checked where I buy Riley's Cal. Nat. and all of their cans still have garlic and they don't have any pouches yet. Guess I will have to keep checking. I'd really like to have Riley try a can and see if he likes it so he will have a 2nd brand besides Merrick to eat.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I asked the guy at Discount Pet store about Wellness and garlic last week, and he said they get cans from a distributor, and as long as the distributor still has the stuff with the old formula, that's what they'll get first, until its gone. So - it just depends on how large a supply the local distributors have of the stuff. They must have a ton of it here, because still no garlic free. They did have the pouches though, and I tried one of each flavor. The verdict is lick the gravy, ingore the unappealing little bits of what's supposed to be meat. I may keep a few pouches around for a gravy treat now and then.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is interesting b/c I am feeding my foster kittens dry Wellness kitten and also dry Royal Canin kitten but I did not know Wellness had garlic in there. Why the heck would they do that?

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BarbB

This is interesting b/c I am feeding my foster kittens dry Wellness kitten and also dry Royal Canin kitten but I did not know Wellness had garlic in there. Why the heck would they do that?
The Wellness web site said the garlic was added for "palatability" reasons.

At last check, about 3 weeks ago, only the with garlic cans were available here. I'll be checking again Monday.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll have to keep reading the labels--so far only the Beef and Salmon in my area lacks garlic.

G

ghostuser

So far all of it here still has garlic, I think.. what I just got for Chase does, anyway. Though we don't seem able to get the Beef & Salmon for some reason.. None of the store I use's distributers have that flavor available.

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that's so confusing because i read anitra frazier's book "the new natural cat" about holistic medicine and she reccommends to add garlic a few times a week if your cat's immune system is down or they are about to have a procedure done that requires anesthesia...i really respect her work so now i'm totally confused!!! LOL.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tink80

that's so confusing because i read anitra frazier's book "the new natural cat" about holistic medicine and she reccommends to add garlic a few times a week if your cat's immune system is down or they are about to have a procedure done that requires anesthesia...i really respect her work so now i'm totally confused!!! LOL.
I know...there is also a popular natural line of cat food and products where they are very pro use of garlic.

If you put in 'garlic' as a search phrase for this forum, you'll bring up past discussions here on this topic, and other links that have been posted.

My understanding is, there are no studies that show what is asserted by some - that a small amount won't hurt, that the kind of garlic makes a difference (or how it's processed). Cats response to garlic is very individual..some cats on this board have it w/out any development of heinz body anemia, more than one on a support list I am on for kitties with crf, have had their cats pass away after an initial ingestion of garlic.

The effect of using it is cumulative, but at the same time, I've read that the effect, if use of garlic is stopped early enough once changes are occuring, is reversible (don't quote me on this last point).

There simply are no studies specifically on cats showing it is safe, while there are studies showing that both onions and garlic are an issue.

I call it playing russian roulette and just won't do so.(heck, you can call me passionate on this topic
)

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still garlic in the cans here, but I got one of the chicken flavor anyways just to see if Riley would eat it, and he turned his nose up, so I guess it doesn't matter to me if they ever remove it, lol.