Do vets usually do this?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Radar got a letter in the post this morning! Not me or Nate, Radar. Seeing as he doesn't have opposable thumbs and can't read, I opened it for him.

It was a letter from the vet informing him that his vaccinations were due and could he tell us to make an appointment.

Is this normal practice? I love my cats and all, but I found it slightly disturbing that the vet writes to them rather than to me. If my cats went to work to earn money to pay for their own treatment it might be different, but they sit on the 'situations vacant' page every time I show it to them

No seriously, would anyone else find that disturbing?

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Radar got a letter in the post this morning! Not me or Nate, Radar. Seeing as he doesn't have opposable thumbs and can't read, I opened it for him.

It was a letter from the vet informing him that his vaccinations were due and could he tell us to make an appointment.

Is this normal practice? I love my cats and all, but I found it slightly disturbing that the vet writes to them rather than to me. If my cats went to work to earn money to pay for their own treatment it might be different, but they sit on the 'situations vacant' page every time I show it to them

No seriously, would anyone else find that disturbing?
Its called a sense of humour
. In New Zealand a majority of vets do that.

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My brothers vet did that. Sent a postcard to the cat about his shots being due. My brother called and told them that when his cat is able to use the phone, he can make his own appointments but until then, he's going with another vet.

Needless to say, that disturbed my brother to no end and he changed vets.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dunno, i think it's kind of cute, personally. I think the vets do it as a kind of joke, just like the greeting cards "from the cat" or "from the dog"

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do not think it's disturbing.

I think it's adorable and funny. I wish my vet sent letters to my cats. It would give me a chuckle.

I guess it's just something I wouldn't take so seriously.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I dunno, i think it's kind of cute, personally. I think the vets do it as a kind of joke, just like the greeting cards "from the cat" or "from the dog"
I agree. I can't imagine why anyone would get angry about it enough to change vets

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet back in Chicago did that... sent postcards reminding JJ and Jack of dental cleanings and stuff... and addressed to them, not me... I always got a good giggle from them...

Anyone who gets wigged out or mad over those needs a nice big chill-pill... sorry, but it's meant to be humorous...

nimbus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww I think it's cute. I get letters from my Vet sometimes, but they are addressed to me.

-Kristen

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's cute. Our vet sends an animal wellness magazine that has an addition to the front that says, for example, "Elsa, can you clear some time out of your schedule to come in? Your yearly vaccinations are due." Or something like that. The humans in the house get a yearly Christmas card from the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sheesh, thanks

I'm not 'wigged out' or anything of the sort - I dislike anthropomorphism full stop, whether it's supposed to be 'cute' or not - it just strikes me as faintly ridiculous. maybe my sense of humour is rather more complex and developed than it was when I was 5 years old and may have found it amusing

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
our vet just sends out cards for vet visits and shots but not from the dog or cat.
they send out cute cards.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats/dog get mail addressed to them from the vet saying their shots are due. I think its kinda cute IMO.

As long as the pets are not getting mail and credit cards in their names you are safe

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Sheesh, thanks

I'm not 'wigged out' or anything of the sort - I dislike anthropomorphism full stop, whether it's supposed to be 'cute' or not - it just strikes me as faintly ridiculous. maybe my sense of humour is rather more complex and developed than it was when I was 5 years old and may have found it amusing
Not you, per se, but some folks mentioned on here...

I just figure they're trying to have a little fun with something that's normally a task that the pets hate so much...

Besides... the letter got your attention didn't it? You opened it, right? It made you aware of something that needs to be taken care of... that's the whole point. it's not JUST another letter or card. The first postcard i got for my two... I looked at it and wondered 'what the heck are they doing sending mail to those two?' then I turned the card over... I don't know about you, but i got too much junk mail... so I'll flip through everything and if i see 'to Jack K---" it gets me to look closer... which is the point.

A.

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vet does it. I think its cute! At least they don't ask for your cats when they call!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And besides that - its the animal that needs the shots - not you - you are just the transportation. Its like a reminder addressed to you from your own doctor. The vet is the animal's doctor, so the reminder is addressed to them.

If you have kids, don't you get a reminder of their doctor visit addressed to the kid and not to you?

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it also infers that the vet cares about their patients, which is your pet. How many people here are a little (or a lot) impressed/touched when the staff at the vet's office actually remember their pet? (Hopefully for good reasons
) Addressing the information to their patient, even though it is an animal, is an attempt to personalize their care, not necessarily to anthropomorphize them.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It nearly went in the bin unopened because there were pictures of animals on the envelope and I thought it was some advertisment from Whiskas or the like

It's actually a criminal offence in the UK to open a letter that has been sent via Royal Mail if it is not addressed to you - even the police need a warrant to open someone else's mail as part of a criminal investigation. I've committed a criminal offense

I don't really get the whole 'cutesy' thing, it's just not me at all.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

And besides that - its the animal that needs the shots - not you - you are just the transportation. Its like a reminder addressed to you from your own doctor. The vet is the animal's doctor, so the reminder is addressed to them.

If you have kids, don't you get a reminder of their doctor visit addressed to the kid and not to you?
'just the transportation'...

Yep I'll remind the vet of that when he asks if I want to pay by cash or credit card