Had Kittens Aug 6th

catlover4life

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi my name is Kristen and My cat had kittens back on august 6th.... Well she had 5 kittens 3 males and 2 females..... at two weeks one of the males died... i figured it was the runt and it just couldn't make it so i didn't think to much of it... i didn't notice it weak i just found it dead... Then last week when the kittens where 3 weeks... my cat had an absest on one of her boobs and it bursted... and it was all open wound... we found out how to take care of it and have been (its almost all healed yeah) well the day that i found her with the open boob... all the kittens had seem to be ok... later i seen one kinda of to the side he seemed a little weak so i said something to my husband about head feeding him... well it was dinner time and had to feed my boys and when i came back just a few hours later the kitten had passed already... i had figured maybe the boob had bursted on him and that it got the fluid in the absest and gotten sick from it. but don't know for sure. so now we had 2 females and 1 male left... the male was the biggest and seemed to be the strongest... we left for the weekend having a friend come over and make sure momma cat had food and water and to clean her boob... well today i went in to check on the kittens and he was not doing much when he used to try to get out of there little contained area i have blocked off (to keep them safe from my kids youngest one is 21 months).... we had to go do a few things and when we got back he had passed... now i only have my two girls.... I don't understand whats going on... my momma cat had seemed to be doing really good with them at first... she still seems to want to be with them and everything... is it that she weeded out the males? of the two females one was smaller then the other when born and now they are about the same size i can only tell them apart cuz of how their fur is... they are all black kittens.... i can't say for sure how much they weigh like everyone else seems to know cuz i don't have a way to weight them at home.. Well this all i'm writing for now... any thing that might make this make a little more sence let me know... anyway i can make sure these two kittens will live? they are 4 weeks old now... so anything let me know...

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it sounds to me your mamma has mastitis, did the vet give you any antibiotics? she will need this. she could have some of the infection in one of her other nipples which is being passed on to the kittens and you will loss them all if this isnt seen to right away, she may be healing up with you bathing her, but she will need anitibiotics to get rid of the infection, she can also die from this if it isnt treated properly.

if you have been to the vet and have antibiotics then sorry for the rant, but i would take them all back to the vets for a health check in case something else is wrong?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover4life

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes we are giving her antibiotics... we have some on hand at home at all times since we have 2 cats and 3 dogs... with some of our dogs in the past they had got into fights when they where in heat or trying to be the alpha female... and they have found other ways to to hurt themselfs like tearing up their kennels.... which hasn't happened but like twice thankfully.... so we keep stuff on hand just in case we need it.... late last night i was looking at my momma and i'm concerned that another boob is getting an absest... i haven't checked the kittens yet its really early right now and i'll do it when i give mamma fresh food and water in a few hours.... The vet said to watch to for it to happen in another boob... if i loose another one i'm going to take the last kitten off her and bottle feed it.... if that is what is happening. i don't want to end up losing them all. and i'll try to get her in tomorrow to see the vet.... last thing i want to do is loose my girl... or anymore of her kittens... I love my cats and i hate seeing any cat get sick... i had seeing any animal get sick... Thanks for the reply... after i seen her boob starting to look alot bigger then the others last night i was starting to think the same thing... that the kittens are getting something from her from one of the other boobs... i might just go out and get some kitten formula anyways and just bottle feed them... not sure how my mamma is going to take to me taking over her kitten thought...

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you need to take her to the vet ASAP this is not something to be messed about with, there are different types of antibiotics and you could be giving her the wrong one , or the wrong dose, you will have to take the kittens and start to hand feed them NOW as you wont be able to stop them from nursing from that nipple and it will poison them and you will lose them. please get mamma in to the vet now please as she may not be able to handle another one burst. please do keep us updated. and im sorry if the post came across harsh it was not intended that way im just really concerend about the mum and her kittens at this point.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you are supposed to let kittens nurse on a mom that has infection - it will be passed right onto the kittens and you will loose them. The kittens will have to be bottle fed and mom taken completely away and given medicine.

If you continue to let them nurse, you may lose all of them.

catlover4life

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well by the time i went in and checked on them at 6 am one had died and the other was almost there and has now passed... i was planning to hand feed them when it first happened with the first one. but the vet told us to let her keep nursing them... and the antibitic the vet said we could use it... we did what the vet told us to do.. as soon as i get ahold of my vet we are taking mamma in... i will have her in by tomorrow for sure... i should have taken the kittens from her last night but i didn't.. i wish thing would have went different... but i think this was natures way of them not having homes... and going to the city pound... its sad that they passed. but i'm going to get my mamma to the vet as soon as i can..

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Am sorry to hear you've lost some of the other kittens. Are there any survivors?

When you take mom in, schedule her to be spayed as soon as possible so you don't have to worry about her getting pregnant again.

catlover4life

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
no there isn't any survivers... i plan to get her spayed but not at the vet it cost to much we have a person that does it at a low cost is just a spay and nuter clinic.. i have another cat to get done too... i just hadn't done it before cuz my cats are just indoor cats and my mamma cat happened to get out through a hole in the screen window one time when she was in heat and thats all it took my neighbors cats got her. but i do plan to get her and my other cat spayed cuz i don't need no more kittens

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
im sorry for the loss of your kittens, and im glad you are going to take the mamma kitty back to the vets, and get her spayed aswell. i hope mamma makes a full recovery.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catlover4life

no there isn't any survivers... i plan to get her spayed but not at the vet it cost to much we have a person that does it at a low cost is just a spay and nuter clinic.. i have another cat to get done too... i just hadn't done it before cuz my cats are just indoor cats and my mamma cat happened to get out through a hole in the screen window one time when she was in heat and thats all it took my neighbors cats got her. but i do plan to get her and my other cat spayed cuz i don't need no more kittens
Being indoor doesn't really matter, not only because of mistakes like this, but because of something called Pyometra. Unspayed female dogs and cats that just go in and out of heat constantly can get this. It is an infected uterus and it can be very painful and deadly. It is very likely for unspayed females to get. Some get it sooner then others, some can go years and years of heat cycles and not get it until later in life. I always tell this to people when they say that the reason they didn't bother to spay their pet is because it is indoor. It isn't just about getting pregnant, it is about disease too. Cancer is also a lot more likely to happen to cats they are left intact and it reduces the risk GREATLY to spay and neuter before the first heat cycle so they never have one.