Bad kitten mill

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to a kitten mill on a farm over labor day weekend. It was horrible; they had been warned by the dept of agriculture and had to let groups take their cats. I think they still had a lot in hiding beyond what I saw, maybe pregnant queens and kittens.

They were in rusted cages in a huge barn. They were covered with flies and their cages were full of dirty hay, feces, watery floor and horrible smelling. There were tons of Bengals, Abbys, Siamese, and Balinese cats, all terrified and miserable.

I kept wondering why the cages were all so rusted, I thought maybe the barn leaked when it rained. Then I learned from one of the other people there that the cages were rusted because they hosed them down with the cats in them as their way of cleaning them.

The ones we rescued seem so happy to have a cloth bed and medical attention in the cases where they were sick. The story is still unfolding and so I am scared to post the link to this place's website. Also there is a wonderful person who is working with them and I do not want to damage the good work she is doing.

Is there a way to let people know to beware of this group, besides posting here?

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure I know whom you are referring to. Both the person helping clean up the mess and the person who caused it.

The "breeder" or hoarder in this case won't be breeding anymore. She is extremely ill and has been hospitalized with the prognosis not being good.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
oh gosh, that's so awful
many many vibes going out to all those poor cats

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about this terrible situation. I am sure that you will get some good advice from "those in the know!" Thank you for helping!

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just don't see how anyone can treat an animal badly...Those kittens & cats are living breathing beautiful creatures! And to think they are just doing that for money

We just don't see how someone could do that & still sleep at night. At least there are still good people like us on this Cat Site.

All you can do is keep spreading the word!

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh my goodness... thats TERRIBLE! I don't understand why people do things like that

bluekat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BarbB

I went to a kitten mill on a farm over labor day weekend. It was horrible; they had been warned by the dept of agriculture and had to let groups take their cats. I think they still had a lot in hiding beyond what I saw, maybe pregnant queens and kittens.

They were in rusted cages in a huge barn. They were covered with flies and their cages were full of dirty hay, feces, watery floor and horrible smelling. There were tons of Bengals, Abbys, Siamese, and Balinese cats, all terrified and miserable.

I kept wondering why the cages were all so rusted, I thought maybe the barn leaked when it rained. Then I learned from one of the other people there that the cages were rusted because they hosed them down with the cats in them as their way of cleaning them.

The ones we rescued seem so happy to have a cloth bed and medical attention in the cases where they were sick. The story is still unfolding and so I am scared to post the link to this place's website. Also there is a wonderful person who is working with them and I do not want to damage the good work she is doing.

Is there a way to let people know to beware of this group, besides posting here?
What state is it in? Why was the dept of argiculture involved? Was the cat barn licensed by the USDA at one time? That would explain hoseing the cages down. The USDA requires dog breeders to hose their runs down with 180 degree water, every 2 weeks. Of course the dogs are supposed to be out of the runs, and the runs are to be dried before putting them back in.

It's really rare to hear about someone who sounds like a kitten wholesaler. There are all sorts of cat hoarders, but the cat breeders don't generally act like a hoarder.
Cats are such sensitive souls. I can't imagine why someone would ever try to breed multiple breeds in a poorly planned cattery. You would think after the first year or so, they'd have so many sick cats they would just quit. Maybe they started out OK with one or 2 breeds, & then got greedy.