Does anyone else think this is a bit odd (tattoo question)

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A girl a work got a new tattoo over the summer. She is early to mid 20's, was married and had a son...divorced her husband before they were married 3 years. The divorce was just final and she went down to Florida to get a new tattoo. She had a few small tattoos before this...one on her ankle, the small of her back, and I think one on the back of her neck. But her new one was a picture of her son that went from her hip to her knee on the outside of her thigh. It was a bigger than a 8-10 portrait.

I can understand getting tattoes to commemorate events in your life, but is that a bit extreme? Or is it just me?

I can't help thinking about what that is going to look like when she is 70 yrs old.....it definitely won't look like her son.

I'm not being judgemental, but that is just something I wouldn't be able to do. A small tattoo is one thing. It just seems like the timing was weird. Maybe I'm too old to understand these things. What does everyone else think?

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol i think its a bit extreme.
the other night, they had some show, i think LA ink? about some female tattoo artist.
i kept think, she would have been cute, had it not been for all the tattoo's . I think i few,
can look sexy, but to many, hmm no thanks.

I have a couple myself, and still want one more, But to cover yourself in that much ink, i dont understand.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I can't help thinking about what that is going to look like when she is 70 yrs old.....it definitely won't look like her son.
As a nurse I see many naked people and many of them have tattoos and I can tell you that most of the elderly people that I have asked about their tattoos have expressed regret over ever having gotten them.

As you stated, your skin changes over time and gets wrinkled and saggy and the ink eventually fades so it's not as vibrant, and they don't look very good when you get older.

I'm sure she will come to regret getting a tattoo as large as she has. Perhaps not now, but over the years it will.

I've tossed around getting a small tattoo on my ankle or my shoulder blade or lower back. But they are for life and I'm not willing to make that kind of committment to applying something like that to my body. I'll stick to the lick and stick kind that washes off with rubbing alcohol or soap

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why so extreme? Because of the size? I don't see it as any different than someone getting sleeves or whatever.

Sure it might not look good when she's 70, but inks have also changed quite a bit in the past 10-20 years. If she takes care of it, it could look quite good when she's older. I have a piece that runs from my knee to my ankle and goes almost fully around my calf and it's about 10 years old... yet when people look at it, they think I just had it done.

I don't think it's extreme at all, but then I also plan on being almost fully covered so I may not be the best to voice an opinion on this. Sure, it's not for everyone.. but it is on her thigh so if she works in an office its easily covered.

And think about it... when she's 70, are you gonna be lookin' at her thighs anyway?

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She could have just gotten her sons name with a heart or something. I know a lot of people have stuff like that though and she probably wanted something origanal. I have a small rose on the lower part of my waist and a frog sitting on a heart on my ankle. The frog one is kinda big and now I wish I would've gotten it smaller but it's too late now. They both need redone cuz my undies pulled a lot of ink out of the rose and the guy that did the frog had dull needles and the ink didn't take well. Neither tats were done by proffesionals and that was a big mistake.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got an email several weeks ago from an old school friend. It was of a grandma, in her say late 50's and she was fully done and sadly they took pictures of EVERYTHING. The tats didn't look too bad.

If your work colleague gets rich she can just botox it forever.

Eminem has one of his daughter on his arm. I don't think its extreme, I will be getting a largish tattoo on my arm/shoulder soon.

tarasque

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i dont think that its extreame at all. Im sure that when she is 70 she wont care if its wrinkled up, she will look down at it and still see her son there. It dosent matter what anyone else thinks of it being winkley people dont get tatts cause of others will think only cause its somethin they want to do. I say if you want to get a tatt pick what you want and wait a year if you still want it then go get it.

footersownsme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
to each their own tattoo....i absolutely love Kat Von D (LA Ink) i think she is gorgeous and her tattoos are amazing. My saying is "go big or go home" Tattoos are a form of expression. if you ever get a chance watch LA Ink or Miami Ink on TLC and just listen to the stories as to why people get the tattoos that they do.

my boyfriend has a tribal/cross tattoo(reminding him that his mother is always with him) that goes from knee to ankle and wraps completely around his right leg, he also has a half sleeve of a phoenix(a symbol of resurrection, rebirth and regeneration. It also represents purification and transformation through fire and adversity), they are both gorgeous works of art. If properly maintained they will always be gorgeous works of art. i have 6 tattoos and each and every one of them has a very special meaning to me. I'm actually waiting to save up a few bucks so i can get #7 & 8.

please dont look at your coworker in any other way, she is still the same person just with a little bit of EXTRA ink injected into her...lol also in your coworkers defense...its a Generation X thing, not many other generations understand us. my boyfriend and i are also generation X, it seems that our generation has introduced tattoos/piercings as a very normal thing that should not be looked at as strange.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

A girl a work got a new tattoo over the summer. She is early to mid 20's, was married and had a son...divorced her husband before they were married 3 years. The divorce was just final and she went down to Florida to get a new tattoo. She had a few small tattoos before this...one on her ankle, the small of her back, and I think one on the back of her neck. But her new one was a picture of her son that went from her hip to her knee on the outside of her thigh. It was a bigger than a 8-10 portrait.

I can understand getting tattoes to commemorate events in your life, but is that a bit extreme? Or is it just me?

I'm not being judgemental, but that is just something I wouldn't be able to do. A small tattoo is one thing. It just seems like the timing was weird. Maybe I'm too old to understand these things. What does everyone else think?
I think it's just weird to you. Lots of people get portraits done. I bet it cost her a pretty penny. Though I do think the positioning of the tat is a bit weird.

mrs.harris

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Whoa, I think that is extreme! Maybe the pain and stress from the divorce just made her want to something crazy so she would feel like she was officially starting over! I'm 19 and have no tattoos, and I probaly never will. I don't see anything wrong with small tattoos that can be easily hidden, but something that large is a little wild! And it will look weird when she is 70! Can you imagine her going to the beach with her grandkids??? "Granny, what's that on your leg???"

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it depends on the person.. I wouldn't and couldn't handle the pain of a large tattoo,, I can do small ones which I did,, but not large ones.. I'm going to get a tattoo next year of the Little Mermaid and have my daughters name in bubbles around it. But it won't be more then 2 or 3 inches large.. One day I wanna get a potrait done by like Kat Van D,, then I'll get something larger..

The lady is going through stuff,, I know I went and did a few overly silly things after my divorce,, and I know how stupid it is now.. She'll regret something that large, Maybe,, but then again maybe not.. Depends onthe person.. We don't really know people we work with,, until we party with them after work.. LOL

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A bit on the weird side but to each his own. I just find it a bit weird/strange when people get a lot of tattoos or big ones. I don't see how they can stand those needles!

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a couple of tattoos but they are fairly small. I doubt I would get a tattoo that size no matter what it represented. I love tattoos but do believe some people go to extremes with them.
Aside from all the arguments about fading, ageing, and such, I think my main concern would be is it really healthy to have that much ink in contact with your body all the time. Since it's something that has just become really fashionable in the last few decades. Time will tell I guess.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seven of them, the largest is around 8 x 10 inches and covers most of my upper back

I think what that woman did - for HERSELF - is fantastic and more power to her.

Yes, we get old and saggy and wrinkly - why not color it all in? Let's be interesting when we're old - it isn't about being just like everyone else, it is about personal taste.

It is what we think of OURSELVES and not what other people think of us that is important. We all wind up with regrets. I should think ink would be the least of them!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not the hugest fan of portrait tattoos in general but other than that, I don't see why it's 'odd'. The only time I wonder about tattoos is when you can tell a person didn't put much thought into it... the whole "I got drunk and went and got a tattoo" thing.

I had a guy walk up to me and say "Your body is a temple" and some other crap in objection to my tattoo/piercings. I said "So why not decorate it?"

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't find it extreme, but I am 48, with about 40% coverage on my whole body. I love all of them, and have a few more planned to finish covering my calf and finish my whole back which is about half done.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work in the O.R., so I see all kinds of bodies, in various stages of undress. I have to tell you....I've seen some really FUGLY tattoos. I have two small ones, a hummingbird and a tiny cat outline. If I had my life to live over, I probably wouldn't have them, but, oh well. To each his own, I guess.