Feral Colonies Caretaker

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was in Wal-Mart this afternoon, and went to the pet isle to purchase cat litter and some cat food and a new scoop (I broke mine
) There was a lady in one of the isles with 8 huge bags of Meow Mix Seafood Medly dry food and 4 backs of Purina Kitten Chow. There was also a couple cans of mackeral. I looked on in awe and asked, "Feeding alot of cats?" And she replied, "Over 250 a day." I thought she was joking of course, and kind og gawped at her, but she kept a straight face.

WTH?!?!?!

So she proceeded to explain that she and some other people local to town were caretakers for feral cats. They trapped them in skunk traps, using the mackeral as bait, and got them spayed and neutered. She then tried to find homes for the kittens that were young enough to become tamed pretty easily, and the older ferals she released on some property that her husband bought for her. They stick around and she feeds them all the time, gets them spayed and neutered (we have a free program for that here) and rehomes them.

It just touched my heart to know that she and about 6 other people did that locally. It's nice to know that somebody cares.

Her name is Mary. Everybody give her a big round of applause will you?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that is wonderful!!! What a good hearted group of people to do that! I know feeding the barn cats along with my indoor cats and dogs is expensive so I can't EVEN imagine what that bill is, not to mention the time and energy trapping and getting them all fixed. Is there some award that can be given to her?????

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Mary is an ANGEL! Wish there were more folks like her!
:clap

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
calico2222: I don't think anybody is going to be giving out awards to them, because they don't go out in public about it, they are very quiet about it really. But since she told me, I think some day I am going to stop by where she works, at an Insurance Office, and get the names of other people who do it as well. Then I think I'll maybe get some people from the Human Society especially, to sign a sort of petition, and take it to our Chamber of Commerce and see if we can get some customized plaques donated to those folks.

icklemiss21: Yes, some lady donated a ton of money to our town especially for this purpose, and the fund is still intact and being added to. Domestic cats are free for spay and neuter, as well as ferals, only the latter must have their ear notched so it is easy to see from a ways off that they have indeed been fixed. The thing is, it's not even a funded program. These people take money from their own pockets and do this- they don't get donations or anything. Like I said, they keep quiet about it.

MargeCat & mbjerkness: I agree, we really do! They have such good hearts...

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KuntryKitty

I was in Wal-Mart this afternoon, and went to the pet isle to purchase cat litter and some cat food and a new scoop (I broke mine
) There was a lady in one of the isles with 8 huge bags of Meow Mix Seafood Medly dry food and 4 backs of Purina Kitten Chow. There was also a couple cans of mackeral. I looked on in awe and asked, "Feeding alot of cats?" And she replied, "Over 250 a day." I thought she was joking of course, and kind og gawped at her, but she kept a straight face.

WTH?!?!?!

So she proceeded to explain that she and some other people local to town were caretakers for feral cats. They trapped them in skunk traps, using the mackeral as bait, and got them spayed and neutered. She then tried to find homes for the kittens that were young enough to become tamed pretty easily, and the older ferals she released on some property that her husband bought for her. They stick around and she feeds them all the time, gets them spayed and neutered (we have a free program for that here) and rehomes them.

It just touched my heart to know that she and about 6 other people did that locally. It's nice to know that somebody cares.

Her name is Mary. Everybody give her a big round of applause will you?
We Love Mary!!!!!!We Love Mary!!! You Go Girl!!!!!

Mary is an angel
You should have told her about TCS! Thanks for sharing a good news story!!!
What a great one!!!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are a lot of Marys in the world, and thank God for that because the cats need all the help they can get.