Got a question

mustangfreak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, last week I rescued a adorable grey tabby DSH from a kill shelter. He looks to be 6-8 weeks old, he is tiny. But he is healthy (that I know of).

My question is, and some may find this a bad idea, but I don't. When can I declaw him? He is and will be a house cat. He is not my first cat however. I have 2 full grown male cats at my parents house and they are both declawed, in the front. I want to have this done to my new buddy.

I want to do this because he likes to jump on me and sit with me often. I have a bunch of scratches on my legs due to his painfully sharp claws.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Declawing is the same as cutting a person's fingers off at the first joint -- yeah, you heard right. Not just the nail, but the finger itself. I don't believe anyone who truly cares about someone would do that to him or her. There are cat-specific nail clippers available at all "pet" supply stores; clip the claw ABOVE the pink part, which is the "quick" just like on humans. Clip only the white or brown part. OR, buy SOFT PAWS claw covers. I'm sure the experts here on TCS can tell you about both of these options, and I pray you do not declaw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mustangfreak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've seen the nail clippers your talking about. Will those prevent the claws from destroying m furniture and my legs and arms.

I love to play with my kitten, thats part of him growing up. But I don't like to go into work with my arms full of scratches.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please, please please do NOT ruin another cat by declawing. You might be lucky your others ones don't suffer consequences. Declawing is inhumane and the kitten may stop using the litter pan and peeing on other things. Or he might start hiding in fear, or he might start biting more because he has no defense.

Neuter him early but don't declaw. There are far better alternatives. You can trim his nails once a week (check and clip as necessary). You can buy some nail caps that will help prevent furniture clawing and yourself.

For the sake and sanity of your cat, don't declaw.

Someone posted an EXCELLANT description with pictures about declawing that you might want to look at - its horrible!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clipping his claws will decrease the sharpness and most likely drastically decrease, or eliminate altogether, his clawing you. WORD OF CAUTION, THOUGH: playing with your kitten in physical tussles encourages him to think it is all right to play rough and yes, to claw. If you don't want him to claw, don't give him mixed signals. Play with him with "fishing rod" type toys, SAFE laser pointers specifically for the purpose, safe cat toy balls, mice, etc. but NOT by putting your hand directly on him where he will scratch it, thinking it's a game. As far as furniture goes, please buy scratching posts and/or pads for him, obtainable at very reasonable prices at Petco, PetsMart, any other good "pet" supply store, or at the following: http://www.DrsFosterSmith.com, http://www.catclaws.com. GOOD LUCK, AND THANKS FOR NOT DECLAWING! CATS ARE BORN WITH CLAWS FOR A VERY GOOD REASON AND THEY NEED THEM!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You will not find anyone here that will support you in declawing. In the rules when you signed up, it stated that TCS is an anti-declawing site.

I shall merely encourage you to do your research on what declawing is, the negative effects. And say that if you choose to declaw should your kitten develop any bad habits, please do not dump him to be killed in a shelter again. People like me hate to be the ones to hold them as they die because the owners declawed them & they developed problems after that.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't declaw! Cats are intelligent enough to learn where they can & cannot scratch. Taking away a cats claws is unnatural.

Its simple! Take the money that you were going to use to declaw your cat & buy him scratching poles or anything that he can scratch on... Once you bought the scratching pole, take your kitties paws & gently do a scratching motion with them on the pole. He'll learn if you keep reinforcing this.

About him scratching you, that comes with the cat...you are bound to get scratch marks on you when you own a cat. Cats who don't have claws will bite instead, declawing takes away their natural defenses. There are other ways! At least think about it or at least try it

mustangfreak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok Ok, I get it don't declaw him.

Tarasgirl06, I see what your saying about mixed signals. My problem is, no matter where I pet him, he thinks I'm wanting to play with him. What should I do?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try some interactive string/fishing rod toys or feathers. Kittens don't like to be held very long - they are more into playing and exploring rather then petting. If you wear him out playing, he will be more willing to be petted when sleepy - or while he's eating

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The thing with kittens is they aren't able to retract their claws (their paws are still developing and right now are too small to retract them), so scratches will happen, but it gets better as they get older. They actually do turn into nice calm kitties (for the most part) where they aren't trying to climb up your pantleg!

A laser pointer will probably wear him out, or anything dragged on the ground that he can chase around, like a sturdy piece of rope...anything to let him use his "predator" instinct. Or, get another kitten and let them play with each other!

Thank you for taking in this little kitty, and thank you for not getting him declawed. Sounds like he's got a good home. When do we get to see pictures???

mustangfreak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

The thing with kittens is they aren't able to retract their claws (their paws are still developing and right now are too small to retract them), so scratches will happen, but it gets better as they get older. They actually do turn into nice calm kitties (for the most part) where they aren't trying to climb up your pantleg!

A laser pointer will probably wear him out, or anything dragged on the ground that he can chase around, like a sturdy piece of rope...anything to let him use his "predator" instinct. Or, get another kitten and let them play with each other!

Thank you for taking in this little kitty, and thank you for not getting him declawed. Sounds like he's got a good home. When do we get to see pictures???
Well, I bought those nail caps, and put them on his front claws. I wont be using them forever, just until hes a little older and can retract his claws like you said. I also bought him a feather toy, he loves it. What he loves even more is this little toy that is a round base, with a spring and fuzzy ball with a bell attached. Hes going NUTS over this thing.

I was very happy when I adopted him, he was in a kill shelter and they looked full, so his days were numbered. I love him to death, he is just so darn cute. Hes a Grey tabby DSH. Even though the scratches hurt like hell sometimes, hes worth it.

I'll get some pics up once I get a real camera, I've been using my cell phone. But here is one pic my mom took when she came over to my house.

brittany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww he is very cute! I'm glad you've decided not to declaw. My kitten is just older than 4 months now and has improved greatly with the scratching and has never clawed our furniture. She LOVES wand toys and they definitely wear her out.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww he's really cute. But if that's the true color of him in the picture - he's a light brown tabby; not a blue (grey) tabby

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for not de-clawing. It is really awful.

My Ziggy loved her feather toy, and also her wand toy mith a mouse on the end.

He is really cute.... Hope you two are happy together and that you update us as he grows!!

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I never knew the exact procedure for declawing till I saw those pictures. That is horrific! I always knew it was no good for them. I can only imagine how much pain those poor cats have to go through especially because after they have to walk on them like that. . .

Thank you for deciding against it!

He is so so sweet!