just how many is TOO many?

redhairedgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The title sounds kinda menacing, but...okay. We are owned by three lovely kitties, Frodo, Samwise, and Buckaroo. Frodo and Sam are brothers and they were "here first", so to speak, and they're about 3 years old. About 6 months ago, we rescued a youngster, Buckaroo, and he's now about a little over a year old. Frodo and Sam weren't thrilled with Buck, but they've gotten used to him and tolerate his kitten-like behavior (with a little fussing).

We just got back from Arkansas with a rescued "barn cat", about 7 weeks old. We're doing the right things, like he's got his own room, haven't met the others yet, taking him to the vet today, etc. I'm on the fence about having 4cats. We really have taken a liking to the little guy, named Fuggle. We'll know more after seeing the vet today. And I checked, here in Tulsa, you can have up to 5 animals and not be breaking the law.
What do y'all think?

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ithink it boils down to how many you have room for and can affort to take good care of with food, litter and vet bills.
If you have the space and the $ for proper care, then have 4 cats!
Linda

tempteq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stampit3d

I ithink it boils down to how many you have room for and can affort to take good care of with food, litter and vet bills.
Linda
Seconded. As long as each cat has enough room to have his/her own favorite spaces and you can afford everything that will mean everybody will be happy and healthy, 4 is definitely a-ok.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

redhairedgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tempteq

Seconded. As long as each cat has enough room to have his/her own favorite spaces and you can afford everything that will mean everybody will be happy and healthy, 4 is definitely a-ok.
We don't have a mansion, but there's room enough for everyone to hide on me whenever they smell a vet visit coming.
And we can afford it, as we have no human children of our own. Thanks, y'all, I feel much better about this! I'm a big softie, I guess.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on a lot of things. IMO its nicer to have an even amount of cats as they can pair off and no one is left out.

It depends on how demanding of attention a cat is (some of the oriental types demand a LOT of attention and if too many, some will be neglected). How much grooming is involved (longhair vs. shorthair).

What is your fianancial status - do you have the money for food, vet bills, spaying/neutering?

You have to decide for your self if you can handle another cat. Personally I put my limit at 6 adult cats and no more. We have a dog and 2 cats; I'd like to have another Ocicat in the future but we are planning on traveling, so that can be a deciding factor.

4meezers3kids

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Depends on your square footage, and how the individual (and boy, are they) cats take it!

Speaking of which, one thing you can do is increase the surface area available to the cats, by expanding vertically! Give them more furniture/cat trees, condos, window seats (and thus surface area) and they will feel like they have more turf. It seems to work, anyhow. Also give them SEVERAL litter boxes -- I have heard one for each cat plus one. The way I put it is, yould hate to give anyone an excuse to have an accident!

Gender also plays a role. Females (at least mine) tend to be more independent. Early-neutered males are more sociable with each other, (again, my experience only). And breed ... and how human-oriented. If they are chums with each other, rather than competing for YOU, more is easier. If you have four who are only interested in you (like the siamese someone referenced), and compete for your hand .... ay cha cha!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stampit3d

Linda
i agree. the main reason i'd like to rehome Firefox is financial - i'm pretty much at my limit with 4, so a 5th is really stretching it, both food & vet wise. not to mention 3 of the other 4 don't much care for her, anyway...

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think four cats has a better chance to be a more stable group than three. With three cats they might compete for each other's affection, but with four cats they can pair off. I'm not saying that would happen, but it can't happen at all with three.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

redhairedgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, Frodo and Sam are totally bonded, but Buckaroo was the odd man out. Now, we didn't really plan on getting a fourth, but you know how these things happen...
The hope is that Buckaroo might bond with Fuggle and they can play, because the two brothers weren't having anything to do with kitten-wrassling! I agree about the cat tower thing - we've got one but another would be really nice for them. Fuggle's still in his own room and hasn't been formally introduced to the other boys (I've read the tips on this site and hope to have a good result), so fingers crossed! Four boys! Sheesh!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by redhairedgirl

Well, Frodo and Sam are totally bonded, but Buckaroo was the odd man out. Now, we didn't really plan on getting a fourth, but you know how these things happen...
The hope is that Buckaroo might bond with Fuggle and they can play, because the two brothers weren't having anything to do with kitten-wrassling! I agree about the cat tower thing - we've got one but another would be really nice for them. Fuggle's still in his own room and hasn't been formally introduced to the other boys (I've read the tips on this site and hope to have a good result), so fingers crossed! Four boys! Sheesh!
well, good luck with that... best laid plans & all...
i had Pixel & Mouse, littermates, best buds. acquired Cable in september of 2004. she was a pest [kitten, they were 7 year olds] but much appreciated by Pixel when Mouse passed unexpectedly in december that year. Pixel & Cable are snuggle-mates now. Cabes was a bit too rambunctious still, tho, so when Java showed up that helped with the play aspect. Java & Cable still play some together [2.5 & 3 years old, respectively]. but Java didn't have a 'snuggle' mate... i got Chip, hoping he & Java would 'bond'... no such luck, they're both loners. & no one really likes the current newbie, Firefox [kitten].

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's a slippery slope with cats, one becomes two, two becomes three.....

My three take turns with each other, Clio and Sam hang out in the day together, Sam and Pru play at night together, and Clio and Pru groom each other. They do the same with DH and me, they take turns giving us attention.

I thought about what I would do if another cat showed up, and quit thinking about it immediately. I'll deal with it when it happens.

I agree with everyone else, if you can handle the expense of four, the number really isn't important. Just expect the occasional raised eyebrow when some finds out how many cats you have.