Science Diet and Diarrhea ~ Some advice pls

okuda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well we are back to the vets tomorrow with Winston. I want to ask some advice, but think to start it needs a little history.

We have had Winston 6 weeks now, He is now 5 months old.

Since we had him, he has had this persistent diarrhea. I don't want to be too graphic, but it is kind of custard yellow, and OMG s.t.i.n.k.s.

At first we thought it was Arnie as he was sick, but when he was PTS, the diarrhea remained making it's appearance in the litter box.

Off we went to the vets. She gave us Kp-Sol to dry it up along with Albon for Coccidia (sp?) This was a 2 week course.

Well about 5 or so days in to the treatment, his poop, although still sticky and stinky was starting to resemble poo shape, although ending in diarrhea.
We used the antibiotics until they ran out as instructed (a total of 16 days) and although it wasn't normal poo, it was better then it was.

Now I know in dogs antibiotics can itself be a cause of an upset tummy as it basically strips the body of bacteria, good and bad, So we decided to leave it a few days to see if his tummy just needed a rest and recover.

Well it didn't and the Diarrhea is back. We are back to the vets tomorrow and need to take a poop sample ~ Oh the joys of camping out by a litter tray, pot in hand!!!

Now to look at Winston, you wouldn't know anything is wrong. His coat is really shiny, he eats well, he drinks, he ruff and tumbles with Murphy most the day and is in to *everything* He is putting on weight nicely and is near on 5lbs.

I wanted to know, if his food could be the cause of this.
Although the vet suspected Coccidia, but from what I understand it is quite contagious?
If this is so, how come Murphy's poops are totally normal and he has not shown any signs of diarrhea?

The rescue fed all their kittens Science Diet dry kitten food, So we have continued with this. But seeing as he came to us with diaherra and his food is the only thing that has not changed since we got him from the rescue, I am wondering if this is the connection?

Has anyone had any experience of this irritating their kittens tummies, I know cats are sensitive... I mean is it to rich for them or something?

I haven't tried to change it as I know this can also upset the tummy and I didn't want to make the poor boys poops any worse!!

Any advice and experience with this is great fully received!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
try a simple food with NO by products of animals and see if that helps... pumpkin ( plain ) may help... I assume blood , urine and stool samples were taken to rule out things like worms and giardia??

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My other thought....I'm tired so I might've missed something in your post. Coccidia often takes more than one treatment. I think we're on 4x around with Albon for coccidia on one litter. It can be persistant!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

okuda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

try a simple food with NO by products of animals and see if that helps... pumpkin ( plain ) may help... I assume blood , urine and stool samples were taken to rule out things like worms and giardia??
When we took him to the vets the first time, she stuck a stick up his butt to try and get a sample, much to his surprise and my chest skins removal.
She couldn't get a sample but from the description we gave she gave us the Albon and Kp-Sol.

We took him back 7 days after starting the treatment so she could look him over and I told her his poops were improving. She said his intestines still felt a bit "ropey" (What ever that means?) But better then before and to carry the treatment until it's finished.

He is fully wormed and up to date on vaccs.

Pumpkin ~ This is a brand of cat food, or do you mean just normal pumpkin?

Originally Posted by white cat lover

My other thought....I'm tired so I might've missed something in your post. Coccidia often takes more than one treatment. I think we're on 4x around with Albon for coccidia on one litter. It can be persistant!
Yes, now you mention that she said to me it might take at least two goes of antibiotics to clear it. I totally forgot she said that.

It's just strange that Murphy hasn't picked it up at all, as they share the litter boxes. Mind you, I do clean it out as soon as one of them poops to try (if it is contagious) and keep the infection to a minimum.

Back to the camping by the litter box with a sample pot! You watch, he won't do anything before we go to the vets now!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

okuda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm well we just got back from the vets.

Of course Winston never pooped for me to get a sample, so the Dr took a poo sample with a stick again, much to the dismay of Winston and said he could still see Coccidia swimming around in it.

So back on the Albon again! He explained to us that the Albon does not actually kill the bug, but more suppresses it reproducing so then the body has chance to fight and kill it off. Quite interesting!

He has given us more this time and up the dose to 2cc a day (rather then 1) as Winston has put on 1.5 lbs in weight in a month!

Winston loves the stuff tho, I don't have to scruff him at all, He just licks it from the end of the syringe like it was clotted cream!

He does this with Kp-Sol too which the vet said they don't like very much lol.

Heres fingers crossed this will get rid of the bug once and for all!